Yellowstone trout guide and Braun Brothers Reunion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellowstone trout guide and Braun Brothers Reunion

My beautiful bride and I are loading up our two little boys and the dog in an RV and pointing the rig NW the first week of August. The high notes that we have planned are seeing the sights in Yellowstone, and catching a day or two at the Braun Brothers Reunion in Challis, Idaho (Braun Brothers are part of Reckless Kelly and Mickey and the Motorcars if you're like me and didn't realize they were from Idaho). I also want to catch as many native trout as possible along the way.

I haven't been out west since before I was in high school, does anyone have any tips for our trip? Especially suggestions on a fly fishing guide in the park (or anywhere else that's a can't miss).

We're still at the beginning planning stages of the process.

We have been to Yellow Stone in August and its amazing. I love the area. We stayed in Big Sky Montana and fished the Gallatin River. Its a once in a life time experience. I had a guide the first day, but after we figured out the process, we did it on our own. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

First of all, hit the state at Laramie, not Cheyenne. You could start fishing right here in town, but head up to the Snowy Range for a night or 2 stay and fishing on the NF and on the Little Laramie River. Plains Lakes outside of town have good fishing too but sometimes better with a boat.
        From Laramie you could catch grayling in North Crow Res. between here and Cheyenne.
        Within an hour and a half of town, and up into the NF, you can catch brown trout, rainbows, brook trout, some stocked species of cutthroat trout and even kokanee.
        Take the highway over to Saratoga to stay and fish the Platte River and high lakes in the range. Tiger trout in High Savery Res. west of Saratoga.
        Then head NW and fish your way there. Miracle Mile, Grey Reef, Bighorn River and Wind River Canyon.
        At Jackson you will have the Snake River and much lower water in Aug., lots of good guides in Jackson.
        Casper, Wy has North Platte fishing and good guides as well.

Lots of great fishing in spots guides are not needed, but taking a float trip and/or getting on private water will be quite fun.
        Parks will be busy but still nice. Early mornings for drives through will be less hectic but expect bear jams and elk jams everywhere.
        Watch for bears in the NW forest.
        There are many cutthroat trout to be caught in western Wyoming, talk with some guides over there for where to find them.
        Fly shops will talk fishing, just ask.

Comment

On your way you will probably depending on which route you take go through Jackson Hole and up through Driggs Idaho. If so I highly recommend these guys, I have used them 4 years straight and always have a fantastic time.

Comment

Tagged!!

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
              Early mornings for drives through will be less hectic but expect bear jams and elk jams everywhere.
              Our boys are 5 and 2, I don't even remember what sleeping in is, hahaha.

Y'all have hit some great advice already, thank you so much! I would love to catch a grayling, how cool.

Comment

We make an annual Idaho trip, just need to bump it up to first part of August. Do you have an onsite RV spot at BBR?

It's a beautiful drive from Challis up to Missoula if you have time.

Hogboy

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post
                  We make an annual Idaho trip, just need to bump it up to first part of August. Do you have an onsite RV spot at BBR?

Hogboy
                  I don't, based on what I'm reading, it looks like the "real" campsites are all invitation only, and the dry spots were all sold out. I'm thinking we are only going to be able to catch Thursday anyway, based on our drivetime coming back.

Comment

I use the Crazy Rainbow out of Casper to fish the North Platte. I’ve used Addee and Vance. Both have been excellent. I’ve spent a lot of time around Challis over the last 7-8 years, but I haven’t hired any guides yet. The Bent Rod is an excellent fly shop in Challis though. I can’t think of the owners name off the top of my head, but he’s spent hours feeding me excellent information on the area, and I can’t recommend his knowledge or willingness to help others out enough. I make it a point to purchase anything I need in his shop. I’m sure a quick call up there would net you some good recommendations on guides. He hasn’t steered me any direction for money yet. He’s talked me out of purchases when he thought I would be suited better with alternatives he didn’t offer.
                    Last edited by TX03RUBI; 05-23-2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post

Hogboy
                      Highway 93 is the prettiest stretch of highway I’ve ever driven starting in Mackay alway north to Banff.

Comment

If you are a firearm buff the museum in Cody, WY is great. It may be monsoon season so pack accordingly

Comment

Sat up Camp the second night of our honeymoon last year right outside of Challis off the Salmon River. Click image for larger version

Name:	921D4AEB-9E04-4B50-AE56-2548A1D6A356.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	24580221

Comment

I am jealous. I have always wanted to go to the Braun Brothers Reunion. A buddy of mine lived in Ketchum after college and used to go.

As far as guides go, I have done well on the Henry's Fork side booking through Trouthunter, out of Ennis MT with MRFC, or with Arrick's Fly Shop in West Yellowstone.

Also, I have a buddy that has fished with Nate Stevane quite a bit, including in the park, and loves fishing with him.

Comment

Lived in Ft. Collins, Colorado for 15 years, spent most of my time fly fishing in Wyoming.
                              Match the hatch! Ol' Wytex has it going on there.

Comment

Working...
                              X