No announcement yet.

Bad year for fawn survival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought about floodwaters and fawns last few weeks. Our creek has been out of its banks multiple times
    But the abundant cover should be a positive overall.

FWIW a bobcat was stalking a fawn in our cabin yard last week.
    He ran out of lives.
    Last year, another cat chased a large fawn into the yard. Cat ended up DRT.
    I think my hog proof plot provides perfect fawning ground and it has attracted the cats.

BP

Comment

All our springs are flowing and the small creeks running, great forage here in the hill country

Comment

I've seen only one fawn and it was late April. Sense then I'm only seeing does hanging around where they've got a fawn stashed. Grass is really tall this year.

Comment

Should be great in West Texas.

Comment

Saw my first one this morning. It was probably less than 24hr old. I’m in a neighborhood in north central SA. Usually see them everywhere. Maybe just a little late this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
              With a lot of the areas deer live flooded and does dropping fawns right now will this be a poor year for fawn recruitment?
              Man I don’t think so in our area of Navarro, hope not anyway. We need all the fawns we can get. In my area of Navarro we don’t have much of a flooding issue. Lots of waste high grass tho. Hoping to see some start to drop soon. Most of my fawns last yr were bucks, I think they all survived, hoping for a high doe production this yr to help build the herd.

Comment

I’ve got 2 sets of twins in the yard now. First two to drop and both carrying twins. Grass is y’all and green so figure their chances are better than most years.

Comment

I had a new one nursing and doing well today near our front gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    Man I don’t think so in our area of Navarro, hope not anyway. We need all the fawns we can get. In my area of Navarro we don’t have much of a flooding issue. Lots of waste high grass tho. Hoping to see some start to drop soon. Most of my fawns last yr were bucks, I think they all survived, hoping for a high doe production this yr to help build the herd.
                    I think it will definitely affect the navarro mills area, all that lake flooded and lots of coyotes/bobcats.

Comment

Lots of high grass in fields AND in woods, at least on my place.
                      Just don't mow it before July or there's high risk of running over hiding fawns.

Comment

I have seen 2 dead on the road in the past week.

One this morning near the house.

Don't think I have ever seen a roadkill fawn before, at least that I remember

These are tiny too, probably the size of my JRT

Comment

Working...
                        X