6th Grader Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    Exactly! If he woulda rebelled at 12/13 and fought back he wasnt disciplined/taught at a young age who the boss was.

Glad still some people understand.
    What are the ages of your kiddos?

Comment

I remember starting to be a terd to my parents at 6th grade, and trying to find who I fit in in with all the multiple types of groups of kids in middle school that you didn't see in elementary. Seems like that is the point where all the kids kinda start forming groups you are going to fit in with out through high school. ie...metalheads, wanna be thugs, jocks, country crowd, preppy crowd, computer nerds etc etc..

Comment

Few questions.

Does he have a grandparent living nearby? When we had any issues with our two kids and their Mom or I could not get their attention we called on grandparents. It is a different deal when granny and papa are talking to you. I have 7 grandkids now and my kids ask me every once in awhile to have a talk with them

If he does not respond your talks, etc then ground his butt. Take away everything he likes and uses - phone TV everything. Let him suck on that for a few days and see if he straightens up. Most of them will.

Last thing I will add is this. My Dad was tough on me in a fair way. What he never, ever would put up with was me disrespecting my Mom in any form or fashion. If I even raised my voice to her he would take me in my room, whip my butt, and tell me if I ever "sassed" my Mom again the next whopping would be even worse. Did not take me long to figure who not to talk back to
        Last edited by Huntingfool; 05-09-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I’ve got an 11 yr old 6 grader . Has definitely hit puberty. But He is still very respectful and helpful around the house and with or elderly neighbors. I’m still waiting for him to hit the disrespectful stage. I’ve never whipped him . Yet. I popped his but with my hand on occasions after I give him the 3 second count down. My neighbors and friends say he is the most respectful young man they’ve seen. But he has been to the principal a few times. But it has always been for putting bullies in their place and giving them an attitude adjustment. I can’t tell you what your doing wrong or what I’m doing right so far. “ I’m still waiting for him to act out” I just know i think the Lord everyday for him and for the fine young man and blessing he is . He has made me turn my life around.
          Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 05-09-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I have 11, 8, and 4 year old boys. All have had their butt beat, my 11 year old no longer responds to it. He plays select ball, he only responds to being sat on that bench during games now. Might try it.

Comment

Definitely a hard time for both kids and adults. I had an older brother and sister. I thank them because they wore my parents down for me. We started farming some about that time, and other than learning how to drive at 11 or so, growing tomatoes working them in the field gave me a lot of time to think. I heard this Larry Cordle song, and it brought back a lot of the memories of that time for me, and if kids today had to go through that, that eats up a lot of bad attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                People can act like whooping solves everything, but if you don't get the right response from it, it is worthless.

You would not have liked whooping me at age 12 or 13. You would not have liked my response.
                You would be wrong again - I was whooped multiple times a week for as long as I can remember. Since the time I was walking, I was being whooped. I was hit with spoons, belts, sticks, curtain rods and whatever else He thought he could break off on me. Because of that, pain was not something I was afraid of.

My Dad was smart enough to realize that. There wasn't a whooping in the world that hit me harder than when my Mom started telling me how disappointed She was in me, and started crying when I came home from school after getting into a bigger than normal fight. Then my Dad said you are going to your football game and you will not play. You will support your team, but you will not be with them on the field. I felt terrible for letting my team down. I was more than angry, and it was in myself.

I changed because of the reactions of my Mom, and to the feeling of not being there for my teammates. Letting them down. Had nothing to do with being whooped.
                So, just curious. Why were you misbehaving/rebelling in the first place?

Comment

You would be wrong again - I was whooped multiple times a week for as long as I can remember. Since the time I was walking, I was being whooped. I was hit with spoons, belts, sticks, curtain rods and whatever else He thought he could break off on me. Because of that, pain was not something I was afraid of.

My Dad was smart enough to realize that. There wasn't a whooping in the world that hit me harder than when my Mom started telling me how disappointed She was in me, and started crying when I came home from school after getting into a bigger than normal fight. Then my Dad said you are going to your football game and you will not play. You will support your team, but you will not be with them on the field. I felt terrible for letting my team down. I was more than angry, and it was in myself.

I changed because of the reactions of my Mom, and to the feeling of not being there for my teammates. Letting them down. Had nothing to do with being whooped.

First of all - we were all raised differently and in different environments - but there is a difference in a spanking and a beating - there is also a difference in how parents follow up to discipline - just beating a kid and walking away does no good.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                    12 years old is to old for a butt whooping, but it’s just right for a straight up arse whooping. Atleast put the fear of God in him for a bit.
                    So if a 12 year old doesn’t respond to a spanking, go ahead and just beat him up?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      So, just curious. Why were you misbehaving/rebelling in the first place?
                      I have always been a smart ***** and challenged authority. I also fought a lot. I have made teachers cry. I am one of the most stubborn / loyal people that you would ever meet. Because I would take what I could take, I would also take the blame for stuff I didnt really do.

My Dad would bust me at the drop of a hat. I would even get whooped for leaving a light on after I left a room. I wasnt terrible, Dad just wanted to keep me in line. Parents believed that was the be all end all. My Mom has apologized about 100x for what I got as a kid. My Dad doesn't even like to talk about it.

Comment

jer_james, thanks for the info. My oldest rebelled when he was a teenager. He was diagnosed as depressed when he was only 5-6 and went on medication. When he hit the teenage years, he was difficult, to say the least. We could not figure out why he acted the way he did. He is 48 and doing very well. I would love to hear from him why he behaved the way he did, but simply do not want to bring up bad memories for him nor me. For the record, he was not beaten. Spanked as a youngster yes, but not regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                          First of all - we were all raised differently and in different environments - but there is a difference in a spanking and a beating - there is also a difference in how parents follow up to discipline - just beating a kid and walking away does no good.

Totally agree. My son and I pray together daily and we discuss issues after the now rare spankings. Spend a lot of time in the woods and in the shop and on the range. We communicate which is very important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are your punishments adhered to for the duration stated to the kid? Does continued negative behavior add to it? Reason I ask is that I know some people who "ground" a kid, then a couple days in stop enforcing. I can tolerate dumbarse(most are at that age) kids, but I cannot do disrespect. Hit him where it hurts. Figuratively.
                            Last edited by Graysonhogs; 05-10-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I never thought I would say this because I had my butt whooped every day growing up and I think it was by far the best thing for me. That being said my son does not respond at all to getting spanked, each kid is different and responds to punishment in their own way. You will have to find what that way is, but I do not think its a bad idea to get professional help.

Comment

We have a recently turned 12yr old boy in 6th grade and we are dealing with the other side of the coin. Used to be friends with all of the boys that are now the "cool kids" AKA: COCKY LITTLE JERKS, but Seeing him in tears after school on a few occasions over what used to be his "friends" horrible comments to him and a few of the others at school is getting old. The things 6th graders talk about and say to each other these days is unreal.

Comment

Working...
                                X