No announcement yet.

School me on buying a Travel Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are in the process of picking a travel trailer, this is exactly what I needed to read today thanks!

Comment

I've only owned a few used ones for deer lease use. The leaks will happen....not if, when. I favor the aluminum roof, much easier to repair and re-seal. The EPDM roofs are a pain to maintain and super expensive to re-do. The only way to keep an RV from leaking is to put under a carport. Buying a used one is a good investment for a deer lease. At our lease, the first year we stayed in town at ~$125/weekend. We bought an older "deer lease" camper and we paid for it after about 2 yrs. It's making me money now!

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
        How much % off sticker can you get a new one for these days?

A bunch. I went online and found “wholesale “ price for trailer we were interested in. They charge $2000 to ship it hear. I then went local. Lol, they started in the high 30’s and I laughed. I told them wholesale price plus the $2000. They came back $800 more than what I said. I saved $13000 from their 1st price. Do your homework

A wise man’s heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
        Ecclesiastes 10:2

Comment

When is the best time to shop for one? I would think similar to boats that the fall/winter would be better as most people are done traveling when school starts back.

Comment

You could rent an RV or trailer and be done with it. Have all your gear on one shelf in tubs in the garage. No washing, no up keep.
            We had a pop up for 15 years or so. Took family vacations once a year. We gave it to my SIL for her son to live out of. My wife wanted to go camping last year, and we rented a pop up. It was great, no A/C trouble. no upkeep, no storage. No tires to check, no bearings to grease, I'll also rent a boat or hire a guide to fishing.
            Good luck to you and your family. those trips were some of the best times we had as a family. I will say, since the kids are out of the house, renting a home/cabin vs pulling a pop up, or staying at a motel is a stress free. We had the pop up parked at our lease for a few years too.

Comment

# 1 they are all a piece of c$%& no matter how expensive they are, # 2 you probably won't use it near as much as you think you will, # 3 I would buy used and dont finance it for 15 years like they will offer you. I have a 2017 30 ft prowler and it's probably the worst investment i've ever made. I bought a covered area on a lake and now leave it there year around bc i hate pulling it and setting it up in the heat of the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                You could rent an RV or trailer and be done with it. Have all your gear on one shelf in tubs in the garage. No washing, no up keep.
                We had a pop up for 15 years or so. Took family vacations once a year. We gave it to my SIL for her son to live out of. My wife wanted to go camping last year, and we rented a pop up. It was great, no A/C trouble. no upkeep, no storage. No tires to check, no bearings to grease, I'll also rent a boat or hire a guide to fishing.
                Good luck to you and your family. those trips were some of the best times we had as a family. I will say, since the kids are out of the house, renting a home/cabin vs pulling a pop up, or staying at a motel is a stress free. We had the pop up parked at our lease for a few years too.
                This^^^
                Makes a ton of sense like other comments... Although I’d love to hook up an go when/wherever, it May be easier to rent...🤔

Comment

Working...
                X