No announcement yet.

2019/2020 east Texas hunting thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to all you successful general opener killers. I did not see anything myself, but good news about my neighbor, he is no longer shooting at my camp!
    Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
      Congrats to all you successful general opener killers. I did not see anything myself, but good news about my neighbor, he is no longer shooting at my camp!

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

That IS good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty solid, old buck my dad killed in Polk co tonight. New deer, no history

Comment

Bucks are rutting hard in Houston county. Had a buck that wouldn’t come out of the thick stuff last night but I’ve never heard so much grunting out of a buck in the NF.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post

Pretty solid, old buck my dad killed in Polk co tonight. New deer, no history

Congratulations to your dad!

Comment

Push & pull

Since last week at the “cotton mouth”. With all the neighbors pushing deer out and us sitting back and pulling them in (easier said than done if not tagged out) herd size in property has doubled. Doe have moved in off surrounding areas. Now bucks are following
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                What happen in Houston and surrounding counties is that we had a huge group of does come in heat at once. The bucks all locked down on hot does. That started winding up 3 days ago and now the bucks are hungry and checking does hard. Not many locked down right now although a few does still popping. Life is good .
                Just got to look at card and 5 new bucks showed up that day 10/19 at the hand corn spot.

But go figure I did not see a deer this weekend in 12 hours in the field. Some day I will figure this dang animal out.
                Last edited by DesertDug; 11-03-2019, 04:11 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I didn't see the rutting I thought I would. Cams have pics of bucks chasing last week.

All the bucks I saw where 4 and under and didnt seem to have a care in the world. Wife did see one yesterday and today that was interested. Today he ran around her for over an hour grunting. She always knew when he was coming back cause of his grunts. She got to full draw 3x and had no shot.

Pic of who we have named Austin powers for the mole or whatever on his back. It's got hair covering it I know cause I had him under 10 yards Friday

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Not seeing any chasing in Cass County. Even doe on camera don't look any different.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Prayers for a friend

Well what should have been a great weekend ended on a very tragic note. My dad’s best friend of 40+ years came to hunt with us at our farm, and this morning he got a call informing him that his wife of 54 years was killed in a car accident outside Kaufman last night on her way home from a prison ministry.

He had just talked to her hours before the accident so obviously we’re beside ourselves in a state of complete shock. I know it’s said frequently on here but hug your family, and take the time to let them know you love them. And if you want to send a prayer up for our friend that would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                        Well what should have been a great weekend ended on a very tragic note. My dad’s best friend of 40+ years came to hunt with us at our farm, and this morning he got a call informing him that his wife of 54 years was killed in a car accident outside Kaufman last night on her way home from a prison ministry.

He had just talked to her hours before the accident so obviously we’re beside ourselves in a state of complete shock. I know it’s said frequently on here but hug your family, and take the time to let them know you love them. And if you want to send a prayer up for our friend that would be appreciated.
                        That is horrible. Prayers lifted for the family and friends.

Comment

So hard to hear, Etxbuckman, so fragile is our life, cherish every breath with loved ones.

Comment

Wednesday in the rain I took my lease mate in the cottonmouth to set up on some beds and rub lines I found in February. The rubs weren’t used yet but 2 scrapes were on the ridge coming out of a buck bed. Parking spot was discussed and how to get in before anything else. First sit had a doe come through going to plot and big 10 behind her..... swing and a miss lol. He’s new to bow hunting. Took first doe last year from a stand we set up together. I enjoy the hunt more than anything... but man these misses on good deer sting. Makes em even harder to hunt

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              Wednesday in the rain I took my lease mate in the cottonmouth to set up on some beds and rub lines I found in February. The rubs weren’t used yet but 2 scrapes were on the ridge coming out of a buck bed. Parking spot was discussed and how to get in before anything else. First sit had a doe come through going to plot and big 10 behind her..... swing and a miss lol. He’s new to bow hunting. Took first doe last year from a stand we set up together. I enjoy the hunt more than anything... but man these misses on good deer sting. Makes em even harder to hunt
                              Is that place naturally inclined to be a sanctuary, or do y’all just stay out enough that it kind of becomes one?

Comment

It’s a thick mess... too thick is some areas. My “theory” / “goal” was to leave as large an area untraveled during hunting season and the 2 months before. ALL my scouting was done in February for rut and late season. Early season is MRI (most recent information).

Access is 100% it’s been my focus for a few years because I knew it was my weakness. I can watch deer on any property, any day if I plan my entry and exit to a Tee. And that includes trail cameras. I honestly think checking cameras, especially on bait sites does far more harm than good... your gonna hunt there anyway... go hunt.

As soon as a mature deer knows he’s being hunted 100% of what you know is garbage. Never let them know your there... in there home anyway. Give them there area and work around them. This “forget the wind” mess and this spray and that gimmick might get you lucky once... better make that once count cause I don’t see mature deer tolerating it at all.

Safety will trump doe in heat in pressure areas

When you(me) we’re in our oats we might get a little rough for some strange.... but we wasn’t going into a war zone for it.... the young and dumb might.... not the old and wise

Comment

Working...
                                X