2019/2020 east Texas hunting thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CSanders View Post
    Dang that sucks Corey. Not the kind of pictures I want to see on my covert!

Ya literally filled it to the top Sunday [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      Gotcha good luck this year got my first buck pics yesterday got a really good young 10 comin up. Excited to see what the next few years do for him.

Heck ya man, that is a great up n comer right there.

Man, get a 12 panel pen around that sucker. I bought 12 50" cattle panels, cut them in half and made two 12 panel pens out of them. I didn't want to go too high for these east texas deer so 25" is perfect (the ones in pics I posted). They got a good price on them at Tractor Supply right now.

Buy 16 ft. x 50 in. Max 50 Feedlot 10-Line Galvanized Cattle Fence Panel at Tractor Supply Co. Great Customer Service.

I saw these laying in the yard at TS and figured they would make great posts for the pen since I wanted to go a little small instead of using bigger t-posts like I use for my other pens in Madison County. I bought a bundle of them and they worked perfect.

Just figured I'd throw it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
        Heck ya man, that is a great up n comer right there.

Man, get a 12 panel pen around that sucker. I bought 12 50" cattle panels, cut them in half and made two 12 panel pens out of them. I didn't want to go too high for these east texas deer so 25" is perfect (the ones in pics I posted). They got a good price on them at Tractor Supply right now.

Buy 16 ft. x 50 in. Max 50 Feedlot 10-Line Galvanized Cattle Fence Panel at Tractor Supply Co. Great Customer Service.

I saw these laying in the yard at TS and figured they would make great posts for the pen since I wanted to go a little small instead of using bigger t-posts like I use for my other pens in Madison County. I bought a bundle of them and they worked perfect.

Just figured I'd throw it out there.

Ya sad part is i got a trailer full of panels i just don’t like using them if i don’t have to, but clearly these 2000 lb bulls I’m gonn have to [emoji849]

Comment

“Wonder bra” went hard horned on the 4th. He ain’t gonna score what he did last year I’m afraid. Going from a mainframe 10 to a 9 will hurt. And rubbing out LOOKS like he broke off a 5-6” flyer on his base ( figured he would, it was too straight and in a horrible place). Getting pics at least every 2 days of gin on trail I cut to put in shooting position. Still all dark pics

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
            Not all that far out of Ratcliff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
            I too picked up a place in Houston co. I’ll be going out Tuesday or wed to setup

Man y'all will love hunting up in Houston County. I have several counties to hunt in and it is my go to spot. I have been hunting between Grapeland and Elkhart (about .2 miles south of Anderson County line) for 15 years and love it. Hope y'all get a big one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
              Man y'all will love hunting up in Houston County. I have several counties to hunt in and it is my go to spot. I have been hunting between Grapeland and Elkhart (about .2 miles south of Anderson County line) for 15 years and love it. Hope y'all get a big one.

That’s the word from most you ask...hope i get to see it first hand! Thanks for the well wishes and back at ya brother!

Comment

All my bucks in Gregg County are hard horned as of 9/10 and a few playing grab ***** already... nothing i want to hunt on camera yet

Set up a few new feed pens in Cass Co. with protein and corn that should be hot spots. Big 7 is back at one spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Finally got a young buck on camera. Hoping his dad shows up soon!

Comment

I'm going to be checking my cameras for the first time this weekend. I know I've got pigs at one (may one of said pigs rest in peace as of two weeks ago), but I'm still pretty stoked.

Comment

Originally posted by PolkFiction View Post
                      I'm new on a lease this year in Polk Co off of 1276 between Segno and Dallardsville. I've seen a few mature does around while driving in/out but nothing on cam yet. About 150 yards through the thick stuff behind my feeder is Long Creek. I saw a scrape and a couple young bucks while hunting last year as a guest by the creek but that's about it. Anyone close to that area? How is it? Any helpful tips?

My lease manager is a little hard to get ahold of. Until recently, I've had to rely on my father-in-law to give me the low down on lease rules. He says the rule is that our bucks have to be 8 point or better to be taken. Seems a little counter-intuitive to me. If I see a 4 year old 4 point, it's going to be hard to pass on a scrub buck like that. I can't think of a very good reason to have a rule like that in place. Maybe someone can help me understand why? I may be looking for a new place after this season

Anywho, went to the lease yesterday looking to shoot a hog but none showed even after coming to corn every morning for the past week. Set up a mineral site close to the creek and a few mock scrapes on trails with a couple cameras. We'll see what comes around. I'll post pics if I see anything worth posting.

I am in the same area and depending on what road you drive down to get to your place, you may drive right past my camp.
                      Good area for deer as long as your place is secluded and off the beaten path. I've been on the same place for 25 years and I'm still learning how to hunt these skiddish deer.

Comment

Good morning. I hunt Harrison County on 40 acres. I Do not have equipment to plant food plots but I do have 2 corn feeders running. Very heavy hunting pressure surrounding my 40 acres by deer leases. 1 feeder is in a pine thicket and I only have pics of the same small doe coming to the feeder. What can I use to attract some deer and hopefully they will make it through the gauntlet to get to me?

Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                          Good morning. I hunt Harrison County on 40 acres. I Do not have equipment to plant food plots but I do have 2 corn feeders running. Very heavy hunting pressure surrounding my 40 acres by deer leases. 1 feeder is in a pine thicket and I only have pics of the same small doe coming to the feeder. What can I use to attract some deer and hopefully they will make it through the gauntlet to get to me?

Thanks for any advice.
                          Stay out of there and only hunt when the conditions are right. Keep the pressure off and deer will use your 40 acres as a sanctuary.

Comment

Pulled card today in Houston County and have my target narrowed down to this funky guy. He is 5.5 this year and I love weird racks...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0867.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	24592221

Name:	Screenshot_20190914-195105_Gallery.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	24592222

Name:	Screenshot_20190914-195041_Gallery.jpg
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	24592223

Name:	DSCF0409.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	24592224

Name:	DSCF0466.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	24592225

Name:	DSCF0650.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	24592226

Comment

I’ve got zero.....zilch.....nada.....with antlers on camera. I’ve got pigs, does, fawns, raccoons, but no bucks. Have had a buck on camera since March.

Comment

Originally posted by BJ DUPLECHAIN View Post
                                I’ve got zero.....zilch.....nada.....with antlers on camera. I’ve got pigs, does, fawns, raccoons, but no bucks. Have had a buck on camera since March.
                                Same here. But I have some big groups of does. I hope they stay for the rut and bring in the big boys

Comment

Working...
                                X