parents supporting grown kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parents supporting grown kids?

Half of all parents with adult children are risking their retirement, in order to financially support their kids, according to a new Bankrate report.

My mother has my 3 adult brothers living at her house.......I dont get it.
    Being a fireman I go into houses almost daily where children from 20 and up are living at home.
    My kids are 11&12 and I have been telling them since they can understand my words that they will be moving out when they are 18.

Comment

I won’t kick my kids out at 18, but they had better be on a path of being able to pay their own way in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sad thing is they dont care if they bleed their parents dry. I have seen it first hand.

Comment

Pathetic and abusive. The parents are allowing themselves to be abused by the "kids". When you legally become an adult you are responsible for yourself. My oldest is 18 and about to graduate. I told her if she isnt in a trade school or college she is out on the street. Period. As a parent I will help, for the ( actual ) good of the "child" but not be abused.

Not saying, in any way that we shoudnt help our kids to succeed in life, but what I see nowadays is far beyond that.

Comment

I sent the link to my mother in law and my wife. The oldest sibling of my wife lives at home, has no job and the room she lives in looks like a tornado blew through it. She pays zero bills and does squat around the home to help. Shes 45

Then there is her son. He lives in a home paid for by another, has no job and has wrecked two cars my mother in law bought. Hes quit jobs given to him by family members and refused to work in my FIL shop. Hes 24

The both of them are leeches on society IMO. Ive told my son countless times I wont support him if he turns down a road halfway close to them. Its down right disgusting people can take advantage of anyone that way much less their own flesh and blood

Comment

I'd do anything for my kids as long as they're doing for themselves. But...I didn't raise my kids to want to be taken care of by their parents forever. I raised them to want to go out and make something of themselves. I can guarantee you that if you traced back the lives of these deadbeat "kids" you'd find some parents that were enabling them long before they became adults.

Comment

Lot of hard feelings among family over the squatters, caused a lot of fights in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  I'd do anything for my kids as long as they're doing for themselves. But...I didn't raise my kids to want to be taken care of by their parents forever. I raised them to want to go out and make something of themselves. I can guarantee you that if you traced back the lives of these deadbeat "kids" you'd find some parents that were enabling them long before they became adults.
                  Yes sir, grandparents are sometimes the worst enablers.

Comment

Just bought my first house. I’m 25 my gf is 24. Went and met the neighbors and their 24 year old unemployed son who’s still living at home. Kind of amazes me how many people just don’t take the initiative to leave. I know when I turned 18 I was itching to leave

Comment

According to my ex, I’m one of those dads that doesn’t do enough for my kids. They are 23 and 21.
                      Parenting has changed so much since I was a kid. Now it’s more of a “friendship” relationship instead of getting kids ready for the mean real world...

Comment

One of the things my wife and i are proudest of is that our kids went off to college, and never returned. Both are seemingly well adjusted and living productive lives. Kind of a double edged sword. We don't get to see them nearly enough, but it's better than seeing them 24/7/365.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                          Pathetic and abusive. The parents are allowing themselves to be abused by the "kids". When you legally become an adult you are responsible for yourself. My oldest is 18 and about to graduate. I told her if she isnt in a trade school or college she is out on the street. Period. As a parent I will help, for the ( actual ) good of the "child" but not be abused.

Not saying, in any way that we shoudnt help our kids to succeed in life, but what I see nowadays is far beyond that.
                          Sound like my parents . I'm pretty sure that by the time I was 5, I understood I better be making plans for departure by the time I reached 18.

Comment

I wasn’t told to leave at 18, I was living at home going to a community college with plans to transfer to a university, when I was 19-20 I stopped going because I was working making what I thought was good money at the time. At that point I was told “son people do one of two things after high school. Go to college or get a career job and move out. You stopped going to college so your moving out, hope you get a career job and good luck” looking back that was the best thing that happened to me..

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                              According to my ex, I’m one of those dads that doesn’t do enough for my kids. They are 23 and 21.
                              Parenting has changed so much since I was a kid. Now it’s more of a “friendship” relationship instead of getting kids ready for the mean real world...

...and in my opinion this is one of the first places "parents" go wrong. Kids are going to have bunches of friends. If they're lucky they'll have two or three good friends. BUT, they get one set of "parents".

Parents are to teach and train. Not be besties. Proverbs 22:6.

And - its starts on Day One.

Comment

Working...
                              X