Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Am I Crazy.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, good luck!! Hope it works out for you.

Comment

When I got my 6 Pack license all I had to do was to get 3 people to vouch that I had 90 days on the water, there was no other proof than that.

I do not miss not having my license, having given it up because I wasn't guiding anymore and I didn't want to have to do the stupid HLS crap that goes with one now.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
        There are many online courses you can take the final exam is in Houston ( this was the case for a couple of us ) but I am sure you will research it
        Another thing you must do is give up All DRUGS and ALCOHOL

Be at least 18 years old.
        Have a minimum of 360 days boating experience. Ninety of these days must have occurred in the last three years. The Coast Guard calls this recency.
        Be a U.S. citizen or be able to show lawful admittance to the United States for permanent residence if not a citizen.
        Pass a physical exam and a drug test.
        Hold a valid adult CPR and Basic First Aid card.
        Obtain a Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC card), which includes a background check done by Homeland Security.
        Pass a USCG-approved OUPV/Six-pack course like the one offered by Mariners Learning System.
        Although these are the basic minimum requirements, the boating experience for each version of the private boat captain’s license varies slightly.“”
        Lost me there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
          He’ll be retired then and living on coast, at least I think that is what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, he said he is currently retired.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            No, he said he is currently retired.
            Originally posted by Whosure View Post
            Ok, I think I have lost my mind but I need a sanity check for this. I am a retired Navy Officer (Officer of the Deck Underway – basically driver license for ships) interested in obtaining my Six Pack Captain’s License so I can pursue a career as a Salt Water fly fishing guide. By being a retired ship driving Sailor, some of the time requirements are taken care of by my Active Duty time, so that is a plus. I currently live 3 hours away from the Gulf/Bay, so getting onto the bay to log the 90 days in 3 years for the license might prove problematic. Does anyone know if there is a freshwater version you can get while guiding folks that you can transfer it to salt water license? I am looking at this as a part time gig now that I can turn to when I retire for good in 15 years or so and go live on the coast and be a part time fly fishing guide. Am I incredibly naive in my thoughts thinking I can accomplish this while living so far away from the bay/gulf? Any thoughts or recommendations on how to do this?
            BBoswell, I read that as saying he's retired from the Navy, working elsewhere, and will retire from the workforce in 15 years

Comment

When you retire in 15 years???long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                When I got my 6 Pack license all I had to do was to get 3 people to vouch that I had 90 days on the water, there was no other proof than that.

I do not miss not having my license, having given it up because I wasn't guiding anymore and I didn't want to have to do the stupid HLS crap that goes with one now.
                Same here...Got my license back in 2016, had same requirements. 90 days vouched for by 3 people, just had to provide their contact info.

Comment

What type of form did they have to provide showing proof? A written statement or one of the many Standard Forms (SF) the Government uses?

Comment

When I got my license you only had to come up with past vessels, TX numbers, and dates.

There is nothing needed for Fresh Water other than a state guide license to my knowledge, as it is regulated by the state, and not USCG.

Comment

Working...
                    X