X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
      I’m currently making my first ever leather project, its a knife sheath for my little brothers skinning knife. Would like to try a pancake sheath next, how did you come up with the template? I’ve drawn some up but can’t seem to get the right look or fitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I looked at pictures on line of what I wanted the sheath to look like and got a general idea of the shape then drew a template on some construction paper and and modified it until it fit the knife. On my last version I stapled the paper template together to ensures a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by txsurveyor View Post
        I looked at pictures on line of what I wanted the sheath to look like and got a general idea of the shape then drew a template on some construction paper and and modified it until it fit the knife. On my last version I stapled the paper template together to ensures a good fit.

Thanks, I’ll try that. My first project is nowhere near as good as yours but with time and practice I’ll get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
          Thanks, I’ll try that. My first project is nowhere near as good as yours but with time and practice I’ll get there.

I found a good YouTube channel by a guy named Don Gonzales. He own a saddlery near Bryan and he does lots of good tutorial videos on leather work. I have learned a lot by watching him.

Welcome to my Youtube channel! Here is where I offer tutorials and how to's in the space of leathercraft. My main focus is on saddle making, but I also offer instruction in floral design and tooling. To find more in depth instruction and premium content including classes, patterns, and other tools visit our website at www.dgsaddlery.com where you can find out all the ways we work to bring quality content to you. Thanks so much for visiting our channel and be sure to subscribe so that you will get all the latest content that we produce.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Nicely done

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Good job; I'd wear it!

Comment

Different styles of sheaths call for different weights and types of leather.

Here is a folding knife sheath I made with 3-4 oz. Horween Horse shoulder.

As your tooling skills improve you'll want to upgrade your stamps. Barry King are the way to go.

Barry King Tools in Sheridan, Wyoming provides quality stainless steel leather stamping tools.

What are you using for a finish? I really like Fiebings Tan Kote on tooled projects.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by austinRecurve; 04-16-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X