Retired too early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
    this is so true, there are so many that have to start all over again raising grandchildren , due to the parent not knowing how to act like adults.... I also find it kinda offensive to say "all greeters are there due to lack of planning", some just don't want to sit at home all day, as well as Insurance is expensive, so there are many reasons to keep doing something once you retire..
    We are raising our granddaughter. Not because her dad is a bad parent. He is single and works 12hrs a day on 12 off 2. He can't do it on his own. He loves Alexis more than anything in the world and spends every spare minute he has with her.
    Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
    As a financial advisor I see it every day. Most people have $250,000 or less saved for retirement. It may sound like a lot but a simple budget will show you that its not. Even with SS you end up living a life well below what you thought you might be having at this point in life.

As for going back to work. I think it can be for a combination of reasons. Most men work their whole lives. When they get to retirement age they cant wait for that freedom. But after a few months they get bored. That's when they start looking for something to do.
    My dad retired at age 55. He told me once that he didn't know how he had time to work. He got his yard and things around the house looking like something out of a magazine. Then boom! After a couple of years he ran out of things to do. It almost drove him crazy. My mother got sick and he had to take care of her or he would have gone back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
      Don’t hafta be a millionaire to retire, but after I roll them rich old suburbanites, I’ma be a millionaire fo sho!
      How much for that star on the wall in your avatar? Never seen anything like it. I'll give you $200 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
        How much for that star on the wall in your avatar? Never seen anything like it. I'll give you $200 for it.
        Sold! to the man with a keen eye for quality and style.

Comment

My father retired at 90 not because he had to work that long but because he wanted to work. Technology made him retire he refused to buy or use a computer and the State made him renew his Vet license online. That was almost 8 years ago and he is still enjoying life.
          I can't imagine climbing in and out of chutes palpating cows when I'm 90 years old but he did it.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Walmart is full of door greeters that thought they hated their job and wanted to retire.
            Last month or so, Walmart announced that they will not be using door greeters anymore.

Comment

55 for me but I will have a pension,and insurance covered by AT&T (a home based business making more than I do at my job) so I will still be working just not for someone else and will have my wife working the business October/November

Comment

Yeah, as much as I would like to retire early, I intend to work until my full retirement age. Fortunately, I nearly have my house paid off and can put more back. Even with that, I think I might work part-time past retirement age not only for the money, but to keep my mind active. Fortunately I work in a profession where I can work longer.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                  Last month or so, Walmart announced that they will not be using door greeters anymore.
                  Yeah, I heard that in my staff meeting the other day. Since most of us are over 50, I guess our back up plan went out the window.

Comment

Who's quote are you referring to that you find offensive? I don't see rut anywhere on this thread.
                    I was only joking about the offensive, part.....

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      , I dont know, I never even knew you could withdraw money out of 401k early, evidently they withhold the penalties and taxes out of the money you withdraw before you get the check.
                      I found out when I was laid off at the age of 55 that you could withdraw without penalty if you 55 or older and got laid off. Unfortunately, I had to dip into the 401K before I went back to work, but I got most of the excess taxes they took out (20%) when I filed my tax return the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                        I found out when I was laid off at the age of 55 that you could withdraw without penalty if you 55 or older and got laid off. Unfortunately, I had to dip into the 401K before I went back to work, but I got most of the excess taxes they took out (20%) when I filed my tax return the next year.
                        True. There are some hardship conditions allowing early 401k withdrawals. Otherwise, standard is 59&1/2
                        I think this is the classic example of what so many retirement for many Americans finding out SS alone will be a struggle these days to retire on. That’s why you see the push from so many financial advisors on supplemental accounts like 401k, 403B, IRAs, Annuities type

Comment

I've been in education for 19 years now. I started back when the retire number was 80 (age + years of service). When I'm 53 I'll have reached that number. I will be able to retire with a pension of 62.5% of my highest 5 year salary average. Every year worked past that my percentage goes up one point. I've had a 403b (tax sheltered annuity) account for about 10 years now and contribute into it every month. I considered getting out of education multiple times as the kids aren't getting any better the older I get. However, having a pension is the one thing I've stayed in it for. I have so many friends living paycheck to paycheck and saving nothing. They are going to be working till they die.
                          I'm not saying I will be able to retire at 53 but my goal is 60. My kids will be all out of school/college by that time. Body and mind willing, I hope to have a great 25 years of retirement.

Comment

I retired permanently at 39, its Freakin awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                              Well that really sucks. As much as I hate going to Walmart I did respect them providing jobs to old folks as greeters.

Comment

Well that really sucks. As much as I hate going to Walmart I did respect them providing jobs to old folks as greeters.
                                What I love about Walmart are the "people of walmart" pictures online. Hilarious...

Comment

Working...
                                X