No announcement yet.

Turkey hunting a real sport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rios are not that sharp. When I have hunted easterns on public land in Alabama I have a different opinion.

Comment

I've seen them called in. I just don't have the patience for it I guess. I'd rather spot and stalk turkeys. It's hard to get up on a big tom as it is,especially when he's surrounded by hens. If one sees you they all take off and he follows them. To me sneaking up on a turkey is harder than any other way of huntin them.

Comment

Hey, at least it gets folk outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I like the setup, the calling, the hangups, the pulling them in on the string....controlling nature with a call much like duck or goose hunting. I like the way they rush the decoys if it gets them going and them strutting, beating the snot out of said dekes when they arrive and try to show dominance over each other in the process. I love the drumming and spitting rush when one comes in quiet and then fires up right behind you when you can't see them. I like the trying to find the right cadence or call to get them in close when they do hang up at 60-80 yards...or trying to pulling them off a group of hens. I like them being able to see you blink and it possible being a problem for you.. I like hunting them only in the spring with a bow or shotgun . Shooting them during deer season on a feeder withe a rifle does nothing for me.

The hunt is what you make of it though. Deer hunting and pig hunting can be the same ....only its their noses and a turkey's eyes. My dad use to say turkey are the dumbest smartest bird alive. Dumb when you aren't hunting them....smart when you need them to be dumb. Like a 6th sense. Ironically, opposite of the OP, my experience is turkeys don't pay me attention when I'm up and don't move but on the ground, and they see me, it's "putt putt"... and they are gone quick like little mini raptors..
          Best sums it up for me.

There is just something that makes me smile when you let out a purr and ramp it into a yelp and hear a group of gobblers fire up the woods. Then when they fire up again just 30 yards from me, my heart starts pounding and I'm trying to reach my recurve as slowly as possible. There's the agony of forgetting to put a glove on your hand and the shine on your fingers catches their attention and one "putt" and it's over!

I could easily come on here and insult plenty of people by calling their fun recreational activity "easy"... but at the end of the day, they are wild, dumb, and tasty... much the same as a fish. But I am not going to call fishing easy. Some days they are easy to catch, some days you are begging for a bite.

I may have to use this one : "Dumb when you aren't hunting them....smart when you need them to be dumb."

Stupid turkeys!!!!

Comment

Deer aren't hard to kill either. Just sit in a covered box stand a couple hundred yards away from an automatic feeder. When they come in, shoot them with a high powered rifle equipped with a fancy scope. Some people see no "sport" in that.

I've hunted all over the world. Killed many species of mammals, birds, fish, etc. By far the hardest, most challenging animal I've ever killed in North America is a Eastern Wild Turkey in the Mississippi River Bottoms. If those turkeys could smell you would never kill them.

Not sure what point you are trying to get across with this thread. But turkey hunting is definitely a sport. I also like that it offers a chance to get in the woods at a different time of year (spring) than most other hunting seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
              Only first cousins.

Turkeys do stupid things from the time they hatch, been dumbfounded by the since I ever set foot outside in every time of the year.

Weird thing is when I’m in a tree and they spot me they get gone, when I’m on the ground they walk right by me looking at me but could care less.

Poaching is never a challenge.

Comment

Kinda got a mixed bag of opinions. I have always been told it is better than deer hunting, kinda like calling in Elk. I have never tried it, but I love hearing them doing what turkeys do. And for the first time I got pics of turkeys on my Newton County lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                  I’ve been telling folk all my life how stupid a turkey is, I don’t hunt them since I’m a barefoot kid from Bama where I shot them on the roost 45 years ago. It never were hard and I see tons of Turkey in every state I hunt.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/TzZiQ3uoEV0
                  Dude, shootin them off of a roost cant be hard. Come on man.

Comment

Easterns are tough to kill but both have their challenges esp with archery equipment. As mentioned, they are wild animals with small vitals. Looks like Merriams in the video. Never hunted them myself but they seem to be the dumbest of the bunch from what I’ve read.
                    Last edited by Jcjohnson; 04-12-2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I grew up shooting a couple squirrels a day off the back porch with a pellet gun. Those dip***** would just keep coming back to the bird feeders. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to head to the woods and hunt them traditionally....

I haven't had the opportunity to hunt turkeys but I'm dying to try it. But hey, may end up not being my thing.

Comment

I’ve had a lot of success hunting turkeys with a shotgun in the spring. They can be easily killed if there is little pressure, you are well hidden and competent with a call. I would consider it as much a challenge as Texas deer hunting. Killing one with a bow would be much more challenging. I love it! Good eating as well!

Comment

So you won’t care if we come turkey hunt your place then??
                          Last edited by Passthrough; 04-12-2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

The best part - the best part - about hunting is that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it. No referees, no team to let you down, no corrupt scoring officials. As long as you follow the law, it's just you and nature. So much better than a "sport" could ever be.

And yeah, turkey hunting is intense and awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                              The best part - the best part - about hunting is that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it. No referees, no team to let you down, no corrupt scoring officials. As long as you follow the law, it's just you and nature. So much better than a "sport" could ever be.

Well said....I never considered hunting a sport either. It's a passion...a way of life..

It's just what we do around here..

Last edited by Smart; 04-12-2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post

Best quote I've seen in a while... anywhere. Thank you sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X