Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electricians / Solar power gurus

I want to run this pump purely on solar panels

How much total watts in PVs will I need and since the pump runs on AC what size inverter should I get?
    I don't want to use batteries at all.

The pump rating is 120VAC/60Hz/10A

Do you only want the pump to run during the sunlight hours?

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
      Do you only want the pump to run during the sunlight hours?
      Only during sunlight when I'm there for maybe a half hour at a time

Comment

You’re gonna need a generator.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          You’re gonna need a generator.
          This video says I do

But this video says I don't (but she has $5k worth of batteries)

Have no idea which is right

Is ot possible to convert this pump to DC and run straight of PV array?

Comment

I don’t know. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to pump from a well or something else? She does not have $5000 in batteries. That’s probably for the whole system. Panels , inverters, etc
            Last edited by M16; 04-10-2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

I don’t know. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to pump from a well or something else?
              I want to do Same thing guy in video #1 is doing.
              Just pump a few gallons from a shallow well whenever I'm on the land.

Comment

Just my two cents, but you are way better of buying a generator or an inverter. Pump is rated for 1200 watts so figure that's how much you need to run/get in on solar power panels unless you are going to get a battery bank. The issues you are going to encounter: some losses in the inverter, not all panels will give advertised power, it will probably take more power to start the pump and finally depending on how fast the panels deteriorate you will gradually be producing less power. In my opinion you would need to start with setting up way more panels to surpass the 1200 watts it takes to just run the pump.

In the video where she states the solar is running it, she means the stored power in the batteries are running it. If you want to do a whole battery bank to store power you could do that with less panels. Again, lots of money that you could save. I have a dewalt 12 volt inverter that I run a freezer with on my vehicle. My inverter is only rated for 1000 watts but you could get a bigger one and run the pump off your vehicle. With the inverter, you have temporary power any where you take your vehicle.
                Last edited by Pedernal; 04-11-2019, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Check the altE store

Comment

how shallow is your well? That pump is only rated for 26' vertical lift. you would be way better off to find a used generator.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                      how shallow is your well? That pump is only rated for 26' vertical lift. you would be way better off to find a used generator.
                      22 feet from surface to bottom of well
                      8 feet from surface to top of water
                      14 feet of water in the well

Quick fix I might just do a used 2000w predator generator from harbour freight and long term will be some sort of solar deal.

Something like this might work too
                      Last edited by texansfan; 04-11-2019, 06:05 AM.

Comment

How much water are you needing? What will the water be used for? Do you have any buildings on the property? You may be able to do a gutter catch system with a 12 volt on demand pump.

Comment

How much water are you needing? What will the water be used for? Do you have any buildings on the property? You may be able to do a gutter catch system with a 12 volt on demand pump.
                          No buildings.
                          But why would I go through all that when i have a perfectly good shallow well with 450 gallons of water already sitting in it
                          I simply need a pump to retrieve it because I'm tired of dropping a5 gallon bucket down there

Watering trees, garden and maybe livestock

Comment

How about this.

Comment

I would look at a 12 or 24 volt DC pump for what you are wanting to do. You could run it off some deep cycle marine battery and a solar charger. There are several options but a submersible pump would be better in my opinion. Mainly because it will draw less amps and have more lift height. Pump is going to be more expensive but running it will be cheaper. Look at something like https://www.altestore.com/store/
                              and look at solar pumps. They have both submersible and surface pumps.

Comment

Working...
                              X