No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be headed to the lease on Friday morning sometime. People there now are saying pretty slow. Here in the southern hill country where I live it has been very slow but the bigger bucks are starting to get back on feed.

Comment

Just got invited on a hunt for me and my son in Brady. How's the hunting right now? Looks like rain all weekend, hopefully it will be decent.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Got to our place in San Saba county last night. Sounded like hail hitting the carport. Ground is covered in acorns and trees still have plenty in them. Feeders all have some corn around them. Looks like not much activity around feeders. Talked to my neighbor this morning and he said their hunters had killed 3 bucks since the opener. He said he has seen more around the water troughs than feeders. Dry dry here. If nothing else will be good napping weather for me to recharge and chase ducks. Lol!
        Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Comment

Tons of acorns. Does are mostly feeding on them. Low activity at feeders, but bucks are spot checking the feeders looking for does at our place. Lots of activity at our tanks as well. It’s super dry. We don’t hunt our water sources, but the amount of tracks there are incredible. Saw the tall 8 I’m after on Sunday for about 10 minutes. He was behind mesquite the whole time though. Wish I could be there this weekend. I’m bowhunting at the in-laws in DeWitt County instead. I’ll be back in McCulloch County December 6th. Hoping he doesn’t get into a fight and break off between now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Woke up this morning and the ground was littered with acorns from last nights wind.

Our hunting has been pretty poor, very little mature buck activity. Just now starting to see deer at feeders period.

Hopefully December with bring better hunting

Comment

It is the slowest I’ve seen in the Hill Country this week. We have been here since Sunday and I’m getting worn pretty thin from the lack of activity. I’m just doe hunting now and even a mature doe is hard to come by this week.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                It is the slowest I’ve seen in the Hill Country this week. We have been here since Sunday and I’m getting worn pretty thin from the lack of activity. I’m just doe hunting now and even a mature doe is hard to come by this week.
                Same for us. We were there all last week and didn’t see a mature doe. Hope things get better in December.

Comment

Same in Gillespie. After hunting my feeder one time and seeing no deer which is un-heard of I ventured off into the thicket, dropped some hand corn, and climbed into a nice oak tree and saw 20+ deer. Ended up taking a nice doe.

Comment

Originally posted by jetboysixx View Post
                    Same in Gillespie. After hunting my feeder one time and seeing no deer which is un-heard of I ventured off into the thicket, dropped some hand corn, and climbed into a nice oak tree and saw 20+ deer. Ended up taking a nice doe.

Good doe! That’s what it takes sometimes. Deer movement improved this morning, must be the cold drizzling conditions. Even had 5 of them come in and eat corn.

Comment

Congrats jetboy.

Comment

I can’t say I had a “slow” morning with 20+ does coming through at various times and 6 bucks, but all my bucks were babies. A couple of them were running does including this guy, who I have at 3 (this was best buck I saw):

Does came and left all morning. Sorry for grainy pics, I had to zoom with my phone.

Still beautiful being out here. Have a friend driving in tomorrow to take a doe or two...

Comment

I’ll be going out to stonewall area in a couple weeks to hunt. Does anyone know what kinda quality of bucks are out that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
                            I’ll be going out to stonewall area in a couple weeks to hunt. Does anyone know what kinda quality of bucks are out that way?
                            Can be some good bucks. Just depends on how the area is hunted.

Comment

Might have some good axis, depending on where exactly you are

Comment

After another slow hunt stuff got real real quick. Heard a snort wheeze and looked to my left to see a heavy 8 with ears pinned back walking towards my feeder. A buck that had been back in the brush came out to meet the challenge but changed his mind and ran. 10 seconds later this guy came in fast and I ended my season. Shoulder shot, dropped him.

Broken up a bit, but great buck for my place.

Comment

Working...
                                X