Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

2019-2020 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocked down an old buck in Mason county this past Sunday. Best guess is he was an 8 year old. Found his left side shed last year so I had an idea on how heavy he was. Taped out at 137 5/8ths with 36” of mass.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	02467BEA-C548-4A00-B228-FDB99B9E51F4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	24596780

Name:	1C5E9A0F-C158-4847-9589-780BC5DB5224.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	24596781

Name:	1589EF7C-7619-4521-B9BA-38E4B0A38579.jpg
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	24596782

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
      Knocked down an old buck in Mason county this past Sunday. Best guess is he was an 8 year old. Found his left side shed last year so I had an idea on how heavy he was. Taped out at 137 5/8ths with 36” of mass.
      [ATTACH]978456[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]978457[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]978458[/ATTACH]
      Congrats, nice mason county deer

Comment

[ATTACH]978456[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]978457[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]978458[/ATTACH]
        That is one heck of a buck and huge mass!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Beautiful buck!

Comment

Yall seeing signs of rut? Bucks chasing or separated from each other?

Comment

Congrats Reaper! Nice buck!

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                  I'm seeing a little pre-rut chasing on my cameras, but no sign of does not running away (actual rut) yet. We didn't see any whitetail fawns until July on our place, and our buck antler development seemed to be 2-4 weeks behind most other areas as well. I'm expecting the rut to be at least another month out for us, based on that. It's our first year on this place (Roosevelt area).

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                    This past weekend mature bucks were locked down with does on our place. Bucks were on their feet patrolling all day long and not eating much corn. My buddy in Harper said it was all out rut on his place.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
                      This is where NOT to hit your buck...right on the leg bone!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                      I tagged a buck in that bone one year broke it completely in half. Waited see eral hours and found him. Don't every give up to early

Comment

Seems really early for full on rut activities if you base it on past experience. Seems to be full rut activity around Thanksgiving for our property in Fredericksburg.

Last week I did see a little gentle sparring with a few bucks. But there was plenty of them still running groups.

Comment

[ATTACH]978456[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]978457[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]978458[/ATTACH]
                          Great Mason buck... Congrats...

Comment

Originally posted by TX Fireman 911 View Post
                            Seems really early for full on rut activities if you base it on past experience. Seems to be full rut activity around Thanksgiving for our property in Fredericksburg.

Last week I did see a little gentle sparring with a few bucks. But there was plenty of them still running groups.
                            I keep tabs of when the first fawns of the year are seen, and for us it is usually around May 15-20th. That means they were bred around November 1 to October 25th or so. That puts us right on target this year with previous years. Our best visual rut activity is the third and 4th week of November due to more competition among bucks and fewer does available to be bred.

Comment

Just landed a place to hunt north of Brady. It’s been a heck of a year... lost two leases due to land sales this year. Last one right before bow season opened. Looked like I wasn’t going to have many opportunities to hunt and then this landed in my lap. Never hunted Hill Country area before. Looking forward to what it may bring. Better late than never and at least I get the opportunity. I’ll set blinds, feeders, and cameras next week and hopefully get some sits in before thanksgiving. Looking forward to it and following along to the LDPs posted here. Hopefully I can post some of my own in the near future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
                                Just landed a place to hunt north of Brady. It’s been a heck of a year... lost two leases due to land sales this year. Last one right before bow season opened. Looked like I wasn’t going to have many opportunities to hunt and then this landed in my lap. Never hunted Hill Country area before. Looking forward to what it may bring. Better late than never and at least I get the opportunity. I’ll set blinds, feeders, and cameras next week and hopefully get some sits in before thanksgiving. Looking forward to it and following along to the LDPs posted here. Hopefully I can post some of my own in the near future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Good Luck on the new lease!! Better hope you aren't neighbors with one of the guys on here complaining about people on other land setting up this late in season!! LOL!!
                                Seriously, Good Luck!!

Comment

Working...
                                X