No announcement yet.

Who takes their (young) Kids Hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started taking mine as soon as they wanted to go (4 or 5 years old). Sure do miss those days.

Comment

Started mine when they were 5-6

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
        I was going to ask this the other day
        My 5 & 3 year olds don't mind going fishing
        Can bait the hook
        I cast
        But they can hook and tell in the fish
        But they are both deathly afraid of that bluegill flapping on on the line!

When I get the fish to calm down sometimes I can get my girls to pet it like a puppy
        But this has been going on for a few years now and they still are skeered of flapping fish

Haven't gun trained them yet but Easter weekend I'll start
        That's what I wanted to ask
        How did y'all teach your preschoolers about gun safety?
        My old man just said "Don't touch it!" and that was enough for me but this is a new day and age

Mine will carry around his B.B. gun. If he points it in the wrong direction, first time I warn him. Second time it’s taken away. And we talk about it every time we pull it out, almost daily. He doesn’t get it taken away much anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Every chance I can...

My seven year old will hopefully harvest her first deer this year, she's been with me a couple times when I have but I'm hoping to have her confident enough to pull the trigger herself.

Comment

both my boys shot their first deer at 5 years old with a crossbow. They love it.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              I was going to ask this the other day
              My 5 & 3 year olds don't mind going fishing
              Can bait the hook
              I cast
              But they can hook and tell in the fish
              But they are both deathly afraid of that bluegill flapping on on the line!

When I get the fish to calm down sometimes I can get my girls to pet it like a puppy
              But this has been going on for a few years now and they still are skeered of flapping fish

Haven't gun trained them yet but Easter weekend I'll start
              That's what I wanted to ask
              How did y'all teach your preschoolers about gun safety?
              My old man just said "Don't touch it!" and that was enough for me but this is a new day and age

I sat my boys down and had long conversations with them about gun safety. I wasn't worried about them handling the gun as I showed them the proper way and we did A LOT of training in the back yard with the bb gun. I was more worried about them being at a friends house and the friend pulling out a gun they found around the house. I drilled it into my boys head that they NEVER touch a gun without an adult's permission and supervision. If there is a gun laying around they know they are to stay far away from it and let the nearest adult know. That was my biggest fear, that one of their stupid friends would accidentally discharge and shoot one of them. My boys know to leave the area and report it immediately. I have tested them on several occasions by leaving my gun laying around (unloaded) and putting a go pro camera in the corner. This way I can see what their reactions were, how long did they take to let me or momma know, etc... Hunting wise, they learn a lot with their pellet/bb guns. They learn quick if taught right.

Comment

I just follow along behind him with a knife and a camera...

Comment

My 4 year old son is ATE UP with the outdoors. Fishing is one of his favorite things to do. But when he sees me pull out the bow or rifle, i get the “dad, you going shoot deer/pig? Can i come?”

I was processing a sika and hog from my hunt from last weekend when he ran inside from the porch telling me to get the gun. He sees a deer.
                  I had to teach him that there is a season for deer. We can’t just shoot them any time.

Comment

I used to. Now I take my grown up kids hunting. They still love going with me.

Comment

I love this pic! From a few months ago while hunting coyotes.
                      Attached Files

Comment

so cool reading all the stories and seeing the pics of you folks teaching the next generation how to get out in the woods and honor mother nature! keep it up yall!

Comment

Opening weekend 2018 last year, I sat with my daughter(11) and the next morning my son(7).Did not expect to see alot,but these were some of my greatest days. Sunday,June 2nd out of know where my daughter spoke about that and said she can't wait to go again.

Comment

No kids of my own but I take my niece every chance I get. She’s 5 now and gets mad every time she finds out Uncle Cam went to the deer lease without her. Bought her a single shot .223 this year. Hopefully within the next few seasons she’s ready to kill something!

Comment

Who takes their (young) Kids Hunting?

My daughter is 4 and loves it. It’s so much fun that if she’s not going I’m not going

Last edited by krausejmk; 06-03-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I really envy you guys. I dont think my 3 and 1 year could even make the 1.5hr drive to the lease let alone sit still and quiet in the stand. Maybe one day.

Comment

Working...
                                X