Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    I don't care what the pay raise is- after 18 years in the field, I'm done. Submitting my resignation next week. I have no idea what I will do for another career, but there isn't enough pay in this field to justify the BS I have to put up with these days (and I teach for one of the best districts in the nation). Principals, parents, the system- it all needs a serious revamp ASAP. The only ones accountable for anything these days are the teachers.

Teaching is no longer a 'noble' profession- it's a joke.
    My wife is in this camp. She will teach this next year though. She was unsure about signing the contract but ended up saying she would try one more year.

Seriously doubt she makes it after this next year is over. And she loves the kids and loves teaching them.

And back to how much do they make per hour... That's impossible because there's basically two types of teachers. The ones who do bare minimum and those who love the kids and spend endless hours at home preparing.

Comment

I don't care what the pay raise is- after 18 years in the field, I'm done. Submitting my resignation next week. I have no idea what I will do for another career, but there isn't enough pay in this field to justify the BS I have to put up with these days (and I teach for one of the best districts in the nation). Principals, parents, the system- it all needs a serious revamp ASAP. The only ones accountable for anything these days are the teachers.

I’m in this boat myself. I’ll be starting my 20th year this fall. I have 8 left to get my 80 number for retirement. I have no idea what I want to do after but anything is going to be better with the **** I have to put up with. We foster an environment of entitlement and none of these kids have done a thing to deserve it. Everything is free to them and you can’t tell them otherwise. Discipline?! Well yeah, they need an arse whippin by their parents but when they’re the root what do you do. You can tell who’s parents are doing them right but it’s a small number. It translates to the real world too. It’s why police officers struggle. “You can’t tell me what to do” attitude everywhere. A simple traffic stop turns to a shoot out. I see kids I know in the news all the time. It’s sad but I tell my wife that they’ve been that way since middle school.

Comment

Raise taxes for teacher raise. No. I disagree with paying a school tax as it is because I do not have kids. Like many have said, if you don't like the pay go do something else. Its simple. Your pay is not the worlds problem. Everyone thinks they should make more, their job is the hardest, they have the most bs to put up with and their boss is a *****. The comments about how much school supplies a teacher pays for, DON'T. If my job does not supply what I need to do the job I'm not going to buy it out of my own pocket. Will kids suffer? Sure, but that's the parents responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          My wife is in this camp. She will teach this next year though. She was unsure about signing the contract but ended up saying she would try one more year.

Seriously doubt she makes it after this next year is over. And she loves the kids and loves teaching them.

And back to how much do they make per hour... That's impossible because there's basically two types of teachers. The ones who do bare minimum and those who love the kids and spend endless hours at home preparing.
          Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
          I’m in this boat myself. I’ll be starting my 20th year this fall. I have 8 left to get my 80 number for retirement. I have no idea what I want to do after but anything is going to be better with the **** I have to put up with. We foster an environment of entitlement and none of these kids have done a thing to deserve it. Everything is free to them and you can’t tell them otherwise. Discipline?! Well yeah, they need an arse whippin by their parents but when they’re the root what do you do. You can tell who’s parents are doing them right but it’s a small number. It translates to the real world too. It’s why police officers struggle. “You can’t tell me what to do” attitude everywhere. A simple traffic stop turns to a shoot out. I see kids I know in the news all the time. It’s sad but I tell my wife that they’ve been that way since middle school.
          That's a shame. You have to wonder how the kids get to be such idiots, then you meet their parents... Good luck to you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post

Unfortunately sometimes things have to get worse before they get better
            The best thing that can happen for the “system” is for a massive shortage of teachers to occur on a grand scale. They will be forced to address the real issues.
            Personally I think it should all be privatized and then both the issues with underachieving teachers and hood rats that don’t want to be in school will go away and parents will have real choices on education for their kids and people with no kids aren’t forced to subsidize those that have kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

51k to start
              55k median

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                All of the major districts if Fort Bend .... Fort Bend ISD, Lamar ISD... Katy ISD.
                This might be for 20 year plus teachers but no way is the starting or median pay for any public school system in Texas. I know a guy that’s in the Mansfield district, which from my understanding is one of the highest paying districts in the state and he is at like 56 and has been there for a few years. In fact I just looked at starting pay for Katy isd and it’s 53k. 65 isn’t touched until year 25.

Comment

Nisd in San Antonio, starts at 53k I believe

Comment

One thing not really mentioned is typically the insurance is crazy expensive & coverage is not great at least at my wife’s school district. I feel sorry for those families that depend on the schools insurance as it’s quite a chunk taken out of a teachers salary. So factoring expensive premium from their salary just adds to the low salary scenario

Comment

My BIL is a fine arts director and makes six figures. He gets a pension worth 80% of his average 3 highest years. I know it's rare, but I'm excited for him. He has worked hard.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                        One thing not really mentioned is typically the insurance is crazy expensive & coverage is not great at least at my wife’s school district. I feel sorry for those families that depend on the schools insurance as it’s quite a chunk taken out of a teachers salary. So factoring expensive premium from their salary just adds to the low salary scenario
                        This is what gets me. If you are not going to pay your teachers, at least give them great insurance. Luckily for me I have great insurance so my wife has to rely on the teacher insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                          All of the major districts if Fort Bend .... Fort Bend ISD, Lamar ISD... Katy ISD.
                          NOT Completely true, I just google Fort Bend
                          Starting Pay is $53k, 20 years exp. $63k, 25 years exp. 65k; that's where it tops out
                          NO district in Texas starts above 60k

Comment

Sounds like you should have been a fine arts teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                              Raise taxes for teacher raise. No. I disagree with paying a school tax as it is because I do not have kids. Like many have said, if you don't like the pay go do something else. Its simple. Your pay is not the worlds problem. Everyone thinks they should make more, their job is the hardest, they have the most bs to put up with and their boss is a *****. The comments about how much school supplies a teacher pays for, DON'T. If my job does not supply what I need to do the job I'm not going to buy it out of my own pocket. Will kids suffer? Sure, but that's the parents responsibility.

Ha....you don’t get it. You can not buy supplies and what the kids need by choice like you said and leave it up to parents. But when the parents don’t give a **** it comes back to the teacher who DOES GIVE A **** ABOUT YOUR KIDS! That’s why out of pocket money is spent on these kids. Your job you speak of isn’t a human being so not spending money on it isn’t the same f’en thing.

Comment

Originally posted by bauce302 View Post
                                Well go back to school and get your masters or phd and then put in your 10+ years so you can be at central office and get those big raises too! That attitude is like these kids that want everything, now, and free.
                                This is a ridiculous statement. Teachers get paid crap. They are the ones teaching our future and should be compensated well for what they do.

Comment

Working...
                                X