Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
    You would have to teach 18 years in this district to make over $50,000!

I started back into the teaching field in 2015 and started at 43,575, went to 44,575 in 2016, 45,075 in 2017, 45,575 in 2018 and this coming Sept will get a whopping increase of $200 to 45,775.

Here is the district I am in as of now.

0 229.95 43,000.00
    1 232.62 43,500.00
    2 235.29 44,000.00
    3 237.97 44,500.00
    4 240.64 45,000.00
    5 241.98 45,250.00
    6 243.72 45,575.00
    7 244.79 45,775.00
    8 245.86 45,975.00
    9 246.93 46,175.00
    10 249.06 46,575.00
    11 250.13 46,775.00
    12 252.73 47,261.00
    13 256.25 47,919.00
    14 259.30 48,489.00
    15 262.35 49,059.00
    16 264.49 49,459.00
    17 266.11 49,762.00
    18 268.21 50,156.00
    19 270.40 50,565.00
    20 272.60 50,977.00
    21 275.19 51,460.00
    22 282.80 52,883.00
    23 283.65 53,042.00
    24 288.46 53,942.00
    25 292.22 54,646.00
    That's better than our district! New teachers start at $33,000 and 25 year teacher tops out at $52K. Try to compete with schools only 20 minutes away that start at $50,000+. Makes it hard to find teachers!

Comment

Many people don't understand the large discrepancies in teacher pay across the state. The state has a MINIMUM salary scale that all schools must follow. That is roughly the amount of money the state gives the district for each teacher. If a district chooses to pay more than the minimum, it has to make up the difference out of local funds. So, a beginning teacher who makes $50K is actually making $20K over state base. That $20K comes from the local district. Poor districts cant afford that. That is why some starting teachers will make $30K and some will make over $50K. Property value tends to determine whether you are wealthy district or a poor district. Think refineries or oil fields in some districts vs. small rural districts that have no commercial or business.

Comment

Austin ISD announced 7% raise for teachers with more than 5 years experience. 6% for all other staff members.

Comment

1st year teacher in my district makes $31k!! I have 21 years in and my teacher salary was $47.9k last year.. I wouldn't break $50k for 3 more years at our current pay scale, so just the new minimum pay scale is going to help the teachers in our district. Now if we could just get ERS insurance![emoji1787]

Speaking of, anyone checked out libertyhealthshare.org as an alternative for our crappy teacher insurance?? I've been looking into it and some others like it but would like to hear real stories about it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Body cams for all teachers should have been in the budget, so some parents can see how their little animals act at school.

Comment

Originally posted by overcomer401965 View Post
              Body cams for all teachers should have been in the budget, so some parents can see how their little animals act at school.
              That would be nice, but HIPPA laws forbid this. I could make a fortune selling what some of my Special Ed kids do when they have a meltdown, but would also face a lawsuit and termination and possibly criminal charges brought on by the parents.

They all know how they act, but will tell you they have never seen him/her do that at home!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
                Have you looked at how we’ll home schooled children actually do, they are generally far ahead of students in public schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I will take a wild guess and say all home school kids have parents at home that care how they do in school.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                  I will take a wild guess and say all home school kids have parents at home that care how they do in school.
                  Many homeschoolers who aren't successful end up going back to public school, therefore they don't end up as a home school statistic. We get quite a few in junior high who are below grade level and have social difficulties. Parents decide it wasn't the school's fault after all and bring them back after they get tired of them.

Comment

Originally posted by PVDT View Post
                    Fella if you have so much experience on boards yada yada yada...why in the world would you EVER say “although I have to wonder why some teachers complain a lot about low pay, conditions, difficult kids, lack of administrative support, etc., etc., etc. when they knew the salary structure before they accepted the jobs. If you don't enjoy the job, do something else.”

I suppose, since you’re experienced and so forth, that you know what these teachers put up with these days?? This could be a long post but I’ll summarize.....do you have a clue how much money teachers spend out of their own pockets for supplies, things some of their school kids need, etc? Or the crap they put up with because kids ARE NOT what they once were when it comes to manners, work ethic, etc? I’ll end it there.

And no I’m not a school teacher and neither is my wife. I just have a little common sense when it comes to what I post. Good ‘ol social media...isn’t it great....
                    Fella??? , FELLA??? I believe I have a good grasp of what I generally post, or I won't post it!. Why would I question why teachers complain about their jobs while they renew their contracts every year? I Have a great admiration for those dedicated teachers who have a calling to teach our kids. I have the utmost admiration and respect for those dedicated teachers who sacrifice their hours and family time to teach our children. We need those dedicated servants who love our kids and love their jobs sufficiently to EDUCATE our children. Some of my most memorable memories in school were my interactions with my teachers! Some of my best friends are my former teachers, and I cherish those relationships! Kids are perceptive and can tell when their teachers really care and when they are just going through the motions! I will never understand those teachers who continually complain about low wages and overworked days while continuing to repeat themselves every day!

My point is, you knew that teaching was a low paying job when you went into the admirable profession, so WHY DID YOU GO INTO THE PROFESSION? IF IT IS NOT AS FULFILLING AS YOU THOUGHT, THEN MAKE A CHANGE, BUT DNT BAD MOUTH THE PROFESSION YOU CHOSE!

I don't have all the answers, but people;e who are teaching our children should be dedicated to our kids or find another profession that will pay a better wage....with more hours, responsibility and frustration!

Comment

Teacher pay raises

I think I agree with Burnadell.

Don’t go to school to get a ditch digger degree and them complain about how little ditch diggers make.

99% of folks don’t get the benefits of TRS retirement system for working 9 months out of the year. I work 70-80hrs a week and the only retirement benefits I have is what we can sell the company for and what I have invested in the market.

If you wanted money you should have gotten your law degree, gone to med school, or gone to engineering school.

Let’s start a movement. Every licensed engineer in the state of Texas with a MBA should get a 7% raise because being an engineer is hard and you have to work every day and don’t get summers off. You sometimes have to work Saturdays and Sundays so that should count for something.

And why the hell does my 12yr old need an IPad at school? I design stuff that goes into space and learned math and physics out of a book. We went to the moon with slide rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by 175gr7.62; 06-15-2019, 12:43 AM.

Comment

You two are WAY off base.

The way the real world works (in the crazy zone of government, tax money BS) is one big circle.

You could say the same thing for LEO, firefighters etc. They got public support after 911. Teachers would never get another dime if they didn't complain. Just the way it works.

It is NOT in any way shape or form like a regular private company job. Their raises will always be based on public outcry and the fear of kids not being taught properly.

Comment

Join the military or become a policeman. Enjoy your summer off

Comment

My daughter is a 5th grade teacher, she is so disgusted at the system and how kids are not disciplined she is leaving the profession after 1 year......

I am tore up about it, but I completely understand

Comment

Has anyone done the math to take the teachers annual salary and then apply it to a 12 month work year and then take the annutity received in retirement and apply that to a typical teacher career and really see what the salary actually is? I’d be interested in that math

Comment

Teacher makes about on average $30 an hour, not much!

Comment

Working...
                                X