Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any LEO's willing to answer a few questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
    Just become a Fireman if that’s what you’re asking...

Originally posted by DeerMagnet View Post
    23 years in. When I started, I loved it. Not so much anymore. The job has changed. Attitudes toward LEOs have gone downhill. Fortunately I work at an agency that pays well, which is the only reason I’m still in it. Don’t know how much longer I can handle it.

Im pretty close to this guy. 19 years at one of the largest agencies in the country. Patrol in the busiest district/shift and beat in the county for 7 years and now in investigations. I don't think I could survive on patrol in a large dept now. Im happy with what Im doing for now but patrol just aint what it used to be and there are zero incentives for me to promote

Comment

I spent 21 years with a department. Now I teach full time in a Police Academy. I love what I do, and I loved what I did. However, there will be a toll particularly on your family and marriage. Divorce is high in LE, but particularly high if you are already married and then become the police. You will change, and not necessarily for the better. Do yourself a favor and get the book Emotional survival for law enforcement. It will explain why we are like we are. After you read it give it to your wife or significant other. Then make your kids read it. You should prepare them for what is going to happen to you. No more birthdays, or holidays, weird hours, and other issues are likely to come. Not saying its all bad, but there are some negatives. The good news is there isn't much more satisfying than catching a bad guy. Good luck.

Comment

If you’re torn between being a hose dragger or the popo, The truth is, the smoke eating pretty boys are winning. They get to watch tv, sleep, wear their comfy clothes, play video games and cook at work. They are reactive only and are not expected to be proactive. They literally don’t have to work (I don’t consider cleaning and washing trucks actually working in a public safety profession) until the bell goes off and THEN they have to dawn their hot uncomfortable protective clothing. We have to be out their patrolling for an entire shift.

With that being said I would never be a hose jockey.

As the popo, you have a lot more pressure. You’ll wear that uncomfortable protective clothing for a 12 hour shift, and it only protects your vitals from GUNFIRE, but not all gunfire. People give you crap for stopping and grabbing something to eat at a convenience store because you should be out “protecting.” Sure, occasionally you’ll make a difference but not very often.

If you want the glory, be a hose monkey. They are the ones wearing their “look I’m a fireman” shirts alongside their wives who are wearing their “look my husband is a fireman” shirts when off duty. Cops don’t do that.

If you can go through the day without being told thanks and be happy with the work you did with no affirmation, be the police. We, the police, are the real FIRST responders. I would not trade my career, I love being the police.
        Last edited by UltraMax; 04-02-2019, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
          Do you know a Cassidy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          name does not ring any bells right now, i was there from 1981-2011,,,

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
            If you’re torn between being a hose dragger or the popo, The truth is, the smoke eating pretty boys are winning. They get to watch tv, sleep, wear their comfy clothes, play video games and cook at work. They are reactive only and are not expected to be proactive. They literally don’t have to work (I don’t consider cleaning and washing trucks actually working in a public safety profession) until the bell goes off and THEN they have to dawn their hot uncomfortable protective clothing. We have to be out their patrolling for an entire shift.

With that being said I would never be a hose jockey.

As the popo, you have a lot more pressure. You’ll wear that uncomfortable protective clothing for a 12 hour shift, and it only protects your vitals from GUNFIRE, but not all gunfire. People give you crap for stopping and grabbing something to eat at a convenience store because you should be out “protecting.” Sure, occasionally you’ll make a difference but not very often.

If you want the glory, be a hose monkey. They are the ones wearing their “look I’m a fireman” shirts alongside their wives who are wearing their “look my husband is a fireman” shirts when off duty. Cops don’t do that.

If you can go through the day without being told thanks and be happy with the work you did with no affirmation, be the police. We, the police, are the real FIRST responders. I would not trade my career, I love being the police.
            I appreciate your honesty. I have zero desire to be a fireman. I know a lot of them. But it's not my gig. I'm not full on ego and I'm not interested in a powertrip. I just want to go to work and enjoy doing it. I've gotten a lot of mixed feedback here. I've spoken to LEO's that absolutely hate what they do and speak only negative things about their profession. And then I have a lot of really positive honest people that tell it like it is and enjoy their jobs. There is a lot to take in. Thank you for your honesty.

Comment

30 plus years and have absolutely loved it. Not every day , not every call but I couldn't have picked a better job that gives you a chance to do some good. Some people that you are charged to protect and serve are gonna give you s--t, so what. Some people who have done or are doing the job aren't happy with it, so what. Never wanted to be the police growing up. Took me about a year or so after getting hired to realize just what a gift I had been given. If you choose to go for it just remember why you're there.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                Can’t trust this one either...once watched him stare in awe a a real live Texas Ranger... he got all giddy...sort of disconcerting

Drinks ITC water also and says “nothing to worry about”

I’m 26 years in...they haven’t caught onto me yet.
                What Co.?

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
                  I appreciate your honesty. I have zero desire to be a fireman. I know a lot of them. But it's not my gig. I'm not full on ego and I'm not interested in a powertrip. I just want to go to work and enjoy doing it. I've gotten a lot of mixed feedback here. I've spoken to LEO's that absolutely hate what they do and speak only negative things about their profession. And then I have a lot of really positive honest people that tell it like it is and enjoy their jobs. There is a lot to take in. Thank you for your honesty.
                  A lot of those who hate it are burnt out. My suggestion is find yourself a good Sheriff’s Office or a medium sized city. I love working the county, bigger agencies will have many different divisions you can transfer to when you get burnt out of doing one particular thing.

You’ve got to prepare yourself to an extent (though you cannot prepare for everything) as to what you will see. The academy won’t teach you a **** thing other than how to not get your *** shot off during your FTO program. I say go for it. What have you got to lose? ..... other than POSSIBLY your good health, nights weekends and holidays off, your marriage or possibly your life.

Just being real

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryRoot View Post
                    What Co.?
                    He looks like a HQ guy but pretty sure he’s a Company A Man

Comment

I am at the tail end of my career. I will say this. If you decide to do it goto a larger department. Lots of options throughout your career. I have worked patrol, work on a raid team, rode bicycles, DWI, detective, Park patrol riding bicycles and 4 wheelers, and now I'm on Lake Patrol and sit on a Boston Whaler or PWC for a living. I have guys working for me that have been in the air unit, swat, and all areas in between.

The other bonus is retirement. I chose where I am at because the way the pension is set up. I will make as much retired as working when I do decide to punch out.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                        He looks like a HQ guy but pretty sure he’s a Company A Man
                        Lol... I meant what Company are you?

Comment

My son has been an LEO for 13 years and absolutely loves it. Was promoted to LT. and is on LivePD every weekend.

Comment

10 years in total. After 4 years left a small department for bigger and better things..... biggest mistake of my life. The money in a big department helps you forget how much you hate it. Sooner or later if you are a principled man you will have to make some choices. I made my choice and hopefully I can get back to the job I love in a department I like.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryRoot View Post
                                Lol... I meant what Company are you?
                                Ok it’s me...”A”

Comment

Working...
                                X