Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Fishing guide tip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tipping is really all over the board. Very honestly it is just a thank you. If you feel like giving a tip, do so. If you don't, don't. I don't rely on tips to pay the bills. My costs, including paying myself, are covered in the base price of the trip. And yes, I do get paid well. I won't apologize for that. I have a set of skills that are worth something to other people, I work hard at it and treat people well. There is no shame in that. If people didn't agree my repeat business wouldn't be so high.

I'd also like to say that I see this thing about guides running two trips a day. No, most guides are not running two trips a day. Yes, we do double up on occasion but it is probably about 5-10% of the time, if that. Many flat out won't run doubles.

Those tipping 15 to 20% are tipping very well. Your guides appreciate it. If you hand a guide $20 per person he still doesn't have anything to complain about. You bought his family dinner out or more. That's a pretty dang nice thank you. I've also had customers tip me with a very nice knife, a bottle of bourbon, a bag of cigars and things like that. You need to know your guide to know what he likes but hey, I loved those tips. That is a little more personal even. And I've had groups tip as much as the trip cost. You just never know.

I also run trips where I get no tip. The general trend is on corporate trips where a company is paying to send folks out fishing if the company doesn't include a tip the chances are very high you won't get a tip. Folks on a free trip tend to not tip. And then some folks just don't like the idea of tipping a fishing guide. Some honestly just don't know that tipping a guide is even a thing. And that is all ok too. You do not have to tip.

In these discussions it comes across like the tip is the most important thing to a guide. It is not at all. Not even close. It's not even something I think about. It's a nice bonus at the end of the day but I don't plan my trips around it. Tip, don't tip, whatever, I run a good trip because I take pride in what I do and I love what I do. I enjoy sharing something I love doing with others. Tips aren't even on my radar of things I worry about. But they are also very appreciated when given. So do what you feel is right either way but don't stress out about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
      Tipping is really all over the board. Very honestly it is just a thank you. If you feel like giving a tip, do so. If you don't, don't. I don't rely on tips to pay the bills. My costs, including paying myself, are covered in the base price of the trip. And yes, I do get paid well. I won't apologize for that. I have a set of skills that are worth something to other people, I work hard at it and treat people well. There is no shame in that. If people didn't agree my repeat business wouldn't be so high.

I'd also like to say that I see this thing about guides running two trips a day. No, most guides are not running two trips a day. Yes, we do double up on occasion but it is probably about 5-10% of the time, if that. Many flat out won't run doubles.

Those tipping 15 to 20% are tipping very well. Your guides appreciate it. If you hand a guide $20 per person he still doesn't have anything to complain about. You bought his family dinner out or more. That's a pretty dang nice thank you. I've also had customers tip me with a very nice knife, a bottle of bourbon, a bag of cigars and things like that. You need to know your guide to know what he likes but hey, I loved those tips. That is a little more personal even. And I've had groups tip as much as the trip cost. You just never know.

I also run trips where I get no tip. The general trend is on corporate trips where a company is paying to send folks out fishing if the company doesn't include a tip the chances are very high you won't get a tip. Folks on a free trip tend to not tip. And then some folks just don't like the idea of tipping a fishing guide. Some honestly just don't know that tipping a guide is even a thing. And that is all ok too. You do not have to tip.

In these discussions it comes across like the tip is the most important thing to a guide. It is not at all. Not even close. It's not even something I think about. It's a nice bonus at the end of the day but I don't plan my trips around it. Tip, don't tip, whatever, I run a good trip because I take pride in what I do and I love what I do. I enjoy sharing something I love doing with others. Tips aren't even on my radar of things I worry about. But they are also very appreciated when given. So do what you feel is right either way but don't stress out about it.
      Bingo, well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
        How much is that boat?
        What about the fuel, bait, tackle, maintenance on the boat?
        Storage of boat.
        Repair of boat.

(why dont you own a boat and why do you need a guide then?)

Add it up.

Then add in how many days a year you can actually book.Think weather, time of year all come into play.

Take all the expense and divide it by the actual days a year they are out on trips.

Now how much did you say guides make an hour again?
        Well shucks, now that you mention all of that...they probably make $300+ per hour in some of these geniuses minds

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
          Hey bk913- it’s dumb ..... like you that cause these kind of prices. Keep on paying them and maybe they’ll increase some more. This is the exact reason that a $600 a gun deer lease 10 years ago is now $2000 a gun. Why? Cause dumb ..... like you kept on paying the higher asking prices and these ranchers caught on real quick. Bitter and bitching? Yeah you d... right I am. So you go ahead and keep condoning and paying every price increase on fishing, hunting, or whatever, and then maybe someday we will all hit the lotto and be able to hunt and fish with you.....
          LOL Wow....

You ever think prices go up for other reasons? Like inflation?

You been around long and see the cities growing and drive out to see what use to be a LOT of huge ranches now divided into smaller ones?

It's not people paying higher prices. I promise if no one paid more than half of what guides charge now you would not like the dingy you'd be taken out on....at all.

Look how many people right now are trying to buy land and can't find any to buy. That many buyers non stop and you own land...Would you sell it cheap? Or lease it cheap?

Comment

I really only have used guides on bay fishing trips. Wade fishing, with 4 guys to a boat, not including the guide.

Typically we tip $25/person for a half day and $50/person for a full day. I hope we haven't screwed anyone over, but most guys act very appreciative with that amount.

And it's an easy amount to tell the guys you're going with to prepare for.

Offshore I would assume is a different ballgame.

Comment

I consider tipping a thank you for a great experience. If a guide goes above and beyond I'll throw him a few extra bucks. Tip or don't tip, that's your choice, and you shouldn't feel obligated. A good guide won't care either way and will appreciate anything you give him.
              Last edited by jdg13; 03-27-2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GigEmAgs07 View Post
                I really only have used guides on bay fishing trips. Wade fishing, with 4 guys to a boat, not including the guide.

Typically we tip $25/person for a half day and $50/person for a full day. I hope we haven't screwed anyone over, but most guys act very appreciative with that amount.

And it's an easy amount to tell the guys you're going with to prepare for.

Offshore I would assume is a different ballgame.
                IMO - Don't go in with a set number. Tipping should be based on how hard the guide works for you.

Burns me up when people feel obligated and I see them tip a really bad guide. THAT is what screws the good guide.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  IMO - Don't go in with a set number. Tipping should be based on how hard the guide works for you.

Burns me up when people feel obligated and I see them tip a really bad guide. THAT is what screws the good guide.
                  I agree. If the guide sucks at his job, then don't offer him a tip. A tip is a show of courtesy for a good job. Nothing is mandatory.

That being said, I've never had a bad fishing experience with a guide. I typically research them, and don't just google someone.

I said those numbers, because that's what I tell my buddies when we set up a trip so they can expect to pay that. If we decided at the end of the day that we wished we never booked the guide, then we would keep the spare cash.

Comment

Good guides are hard workin' people man. If I can make their day at the end of a trip by being generous and appreciative, then I'm going to do that.

I've worked jobs where tips are appreciated, and not getting one was always a bummer.
                    Last edited by Ginja Ninja; 03-27-2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

The only time I have ever gotten ****** for not getting a tip was when a group of 20 booked 4 of us. They had a side pot of $500 per boat and $500 big fish..$2500 up for grabs. 4 biggest per boat. I got stuck with the 4 least experienced guys, one never been fishing . Well we go fish and knowing the pot I went to a spot I had some big fish found . And we caught 3 DD and two that were 8 and 9lbs. We swept the pot. Those knuckleheads won $2500 and walked off the boat and stiffed me. That was poor form in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                        The only time I have ever gotten ****** for not getting a tip was when a group of 20 booked 4 of us. They had a side pot of $500 per boat and $500 big fish..$2500 up for grabs. 4 biggest per boat. I got stuck with the 4 least experienced guys, one never been fishing . Well we go fish and knowing the pot I went to a spot I had some big fish found . And we caught 3 DD and two that were 8 and 9lbs. We swept the pot. Those knuckleheads won $2500 and walked off the boat and stiffed me. That was poor form in my opinion

Yeah that’s poor form for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          Yeah that’s poor form for sure.
                          Big fish was 16 followed by 14 and 12

Comment

Do you mind me asking which guide your booked with?

Comment

We have always tipped fishing guides. The thought of not tipping never entered my mind. And they have always been good trips. That being said, I also trade services with several guides and neither side tips in those situations.

Tipping a fishing or hunting guide should always be considered, as long as they earn it. Keep in mind that they have put in a LOT of time behind the scenes to help make your trip successful. Or they should anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                                Last trip I did was $375 for 4 hours. Guide was great, tipped $100.
                                I do the same; tip $100.00

Comment

Working...
                                X