Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
    And Dangling participles too!
    Who needs their participle dangling? I sure as heck don't.
    Leave my durn participles's out of this!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      That'll do. But Bobby, you need to understand, there's a new sheriff in town. It's called a dash. And replaces the apostrophe. And is used like an apostrophe to shorten words.

Examples would include words like:

Hamper-n

Run-n

Read-n

Write-n

Spell-n

And the rest of suchlike words with needless extra extravicate-n letters on the ends of words.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

What if the dash isn’t silent? 😐

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
        What if the dash isn’t silent? [emoji52]
        Then why should an apostrophe have the right to be silent, and the dash not? Equal rights man, equal rights. After all, our Constitution garontees the right to free speech, right? So spell it like ya want as long as it don't infringe upon the rights of others.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-21-2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
          I am cursed. I got my degree in education with English as my teaching field.

I taught high school English for 5 years including grammar. That was 40 years ago and to this day it drives me crazy when I read poor grammar. My poor kids and grand kids get corrected on a regular basis.
          We should meet sometime, I can help you out.

Comment

I like to throw a coma in my sentences at times, makes um look real professional and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              Then why should an apostrophe have the right to be silent, and the dash not? Equal rights man, equal rights. After all, our Constitution garontees the right to free speech, right? So spell it like ya want as long as it don't infringe upon the rights of others.

Preach it brutha!!!!!!!!

Comment

An apostrophe is nothing more than a vertically challenges dash. Although it does shoot at "eye level" on a word. And a dash shoots much lower, "from the hip" (if ya get the jokes ).

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                  I like to throw a coma in my sentences at times, makes um look real professional and such.
                  Sounds serious...I hope your sentence pulls through and regains consciousness.

Comment

Which wich was the witch spell-r spell-n spell from?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                      Looks like somebody turned in a poorly written report to the Lieutenant! Let's please address "that's" and "had" on the next how-to post...I knew a Sergeant that would go nuts about it.
                      That's exactly what happened.

OP, you ready to come back yet

please

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        The Apostrophe: America's Most Misunderstood Mark

The apostrophe has a few useful applications!

1. Replace missing letters to form new words.

Examples:
                        • He is hungry. He's hungry.
                        • I would not do that. I wouldn't do that.
                        • She will be here later. She'll be here later.

As you can see, the apostrophe was used to replace letters and assist in combining two words into a new word.

Generally, most people understand the above use of the much maligned apostrophe.

2. Show possession.

This is the one that a large portion of the population struggles with. They don't understand the apostrophe, so they overuse it (often incorrectly). The same people, that don't understand the apostrophe, are often the same people, that overuse it's first cousin, the comma.

Bad examples of apostrophe use commonly observed on TBH:
                        • I have two Honda Foreman's for sale.
                        • Hunt includes all the varmint's you can shoot.
                        • No ATV's allowed.
                        • Waiting on my suppressor's

The above examples are incorrect because the words with the apostrophes are simply plural words that have the apostrophe added. Take away the apostrophe...and the word is correct.

Correct example of apostrophes used to show possession:
                        • That deer stand is Mark's. He put it up last year.
                        • That is Susan's bow.
                        • We are going to Tom's house.

There are additional rules that may apply when the word ends in "s", but I have to get back to work!

My investigator's have a lot of homicide's to investigate...and I have to make sure they are filing charge's, completing report's, putting suspect's in jail, and not taking long lunch's.
                        The East Texas folks are so confused. Grammar?

Comment

Come on guy's, this is serious the next thing you know tbher's will be using run-on sentences and totally ignoring the rule's of punctuation the classifieds' will be very confusing because you won't know weather/whether or not to pull out your phone's (cell), point your jib into the southwesterly wind (sail), or exchange good's for merchandise (sale) let's take this serious so the free world doesnt think we are a bunch of rednecks' sailing atv's (how could we, theyre two heavy??? No what I mean?
                          Can you start a thread that decodes acronym's. (I know acronyms)

I.E. LO, GW I know these, but some are over my head.

Comment

That's the friendly Lubbockite's $20 worth of BBQ. He earned it chauffeuring some yuppie from Fort Worth around town.
                            Last edited by ctom87; 03-21-2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              That's exactly what happened.

OP, you ready to come back yet

please
                              Yes! Hope y'all are surviving.

Comment

Bad examples of apostrophe use commonly observed on TBH:
                                • No ATV's allowed.

The above examples are incorrect because the words with the apostrophes are simply plural words that have the apostrophe added. Take away the apostrophe...and the word is correct.
                                "ATV" is not a word, nor an acronym, but rather an initialism. Adding an apostrophe to an initialism is a matter of style—the Associated Press Stylebook and The Chicago Manual of Style recommend adding an apostrophe to a plural initialism, while The New York Times recommends the opposite.

There is no wrong way with an initialism. My personal preference is no apostrophe.

Comment

Working...
                                X