Free Solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
    Your experiences shape how your brain functions. Especially at a young age.

For instance, my mom died of cancer and I knew it was going to happen. So my brain developed the ability to protect itself against that impending trauma. But I am left a very unemotional person now. The switch doesn't just turn back on after it gets turned off. Not the same thing but just an example.

Great film. I loved it. I will watch it again.
    Most definitely our childhood years can do a number on us. Not ever hearing I love you and never receiving a hug, as he mentioned, could be detrimental to emotional development.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
      I don't believe this is a factor. When they showed the brain scan comparison of normal brain activity when people witness fear/danger the normal brain looked like a neon sigh in the sections of the brain where fear registers.

His scan showed nothing. Black as a chalkboard. That dude is wired differently.

His van would make for a great lease sleeper.
      There has to be a cause for that. It is likely his childhood imo.

Comment

The portion of the show dealing w/ his amygdala was very interesting. The comment that he didn't / doesn't feel compelled to live a long life is telling. For whatever combination of reasons, the dude's brain just doesn't recognize fear. Telling his girlfriend that he felt NO obligation to notify her of his plans was priceless. I've watched it three times. Nice show.

I particularly got a kick out of drinking right out of the pot in his condo. Weird dude.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your experience Lean Machine.

JLivi there doesn't have to be a cause for everything. Watch/listen to his Joe Rogan podcast. Dude is sorta out there but is smart & has his stuff together and tells the whole story on how he got into this sport. He never mentioned/mentions having a crummy youth as a catalyst for his choosen lifestyle. Far from it actually.

Travis Pastrana has tried to kill himself 1000's of times. With a big smile on his face. He had a happy youth. Some people are just able to overcome the fear of killing themselves more than most.
          Last edited by JHT; 03-11-2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I had a hard time climbing my tree stand.

Comment

Where are you guys watching this. I’m very interested. Only have Netflix and the Roku available to me. Couldn’t find it on Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
                Where are you guys watching this. I’m very interested. Only have Netflix and the Roku available to me. Couldn’t find it on Netflix.

I ordered off of Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

National Geographic Channel has been running it.

Comment

Wow! Just finished this. My hands were sweaty the entire time, but still a great watch. Definitely had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Comment

I was a nervous wreck even knowing what the outcome is. I've done some rock climbing...safely with harness . But he is a world class athlete

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                        Your experiences shape how your brain functions. Especially at a young age.

For instance, my mom died of cancer and I knew it was going to happen. So my brain developed the ability to protect itself against that impending trauma. But I am left a very unemotional person now. The switch doesn't just turn back on after it gets turned off. Not the same thing but just an example.

Great film. I loved it. I will watch it again.
                        I can relate. I lost my best friend, both grandmothers and my mother in a span of 4 years between the age of 16-20. My emotions are pretty much absent anymore. My grandfather passed a year ago and I almost felt guilty because I just didn’t have a much emotion. But at the same time, I think all my emotions were zapped in that 4 year period and my brain just shut that part of my mind off.

Comment

Valley Uprising is like the prequel to Free Solo. Very much worth the watch. It gives tons of background.

Comment

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXWnoipdFE"]Valley Uprising Official Trailer (2014) - Rock Climbing Documentary HD - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

So my brain developed the ability to protect itself against that impending trauma. But I am left a very unemotional person now. The switch doesn't just turn back on after it gets turned off.
                              I am like you and I'm fighting the same battle.

It happened to me when my Dad passed away. I knew it was coming so I conditioned myself to accept the fact that he was going to die and I became emotionally detached from that scenario.

The problem is that others have passed since and I'm still like that and it bothers me a lot to not cry or be emotional when I deal with events such as death of a friend of loved one.

I do wish that I could turn it off but I have not been able to do so.

I'm glad that you posted that. I thought that it was just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                                I am like you and I'm fighting the same battle.

It happened to me when my Dad passed away. I knew it was coming so I conditioned myself to accept the fact that he was going to die and I became emotionally detached from that scenario.

The problem is that others have passed since and I'm still like that and it bothers me a lot to not cry or be emotional when I deal with events such as death of a friend of loved one.

I do wish that I could turn it off but I have not been able to do so.

I'm glad that you posted that. I thought that it was just me.

You both are referring to being numb to other people dying. This doesn't apply here.

He was climbing as a child. It was his calling once it got into him.

His Dad didn't pass till he was 19.

He went to IB/Advanced schools growing up. Gifted kid they say.

For 8 years this solo was in his head, his ultimate goal/wish.

Numerous times he says this is insane, scary and everyone thinks I am crazy.

He trained for years with this being the goal. Gets a team together of his pro climbing buddies to film it. They all try to talk him out of it.

He tries once and backs out. They all are relieved and glad he wasn't going for it.

Sacks back up and crushes it.

Dude is nuts and he knows it.

Comment

Working...
                                X