No announcement yet.

South Texas Hunters Thread 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking like we may get some rain in Harlingen right now. Hopefully it hits our ranch in Raymondville!

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
      How's the fawn crop looking for you guys in Deep South Texas. I got to the lease yesterday morning early. Had a few extra bags of corn after filling feeders ,so decided to feed a long pipe line with another long sendero intersection "4way". Had my spotting scope so I was set to glass long range. Mostly just trying to see if I could see some different bucks since the pens have been getting really quiet for buck activity.

Well I did see a couple of nice bucks but got to notice how the does we're all thinned out and not one of them had any fawns. No swollen tits or anything. These things were barrel wide last month. The white wings and morning doves have taken over all the pens. Literally hundreds of birds sworming the pens to where the deer spook out of them. Ended up seeing 4 bucks two bucks were mature bucks, a 9 and 10 point and two younger 8s. 13 doe and a big group of hogs crossed but didn't stop. Was really puzzled over that since there was corn spread over 500 yards in four directions. They just trotted right over the top of it.
      I changed all my feeder times 2 weekends ago Muddy. Same thing with the birds on my place... hundreds in every feeder pen. I went to 630 AM and 745 PM. I saw a noticeable improvement, and way less birds in the pens this weekend. I've also been feeding the roads *very* heavy.... hopefully I don't suck too many of your deer in

Comment

Not a problem. Kyle let me know what you guys get on your survey. Really concerned about the fawn crop. Maybe they just dropped last week while I was there and the fawns were layed up while mommas were up getting some grub. That's what I'm hoping.

Comment

Not a problem. Kyle let me know what you guys get on your survey. Really concerned about the fawn crop. Maybe they just dropped last week while I was there and the fawns were layed up while mommas were up getting some grub. That's what I'm hoping.
          I haven't seen many fawns driving around either, but there's no reason they shouldn't be around. We still have about 20 ponds holding water, plus another 15-20 cattle troughs that have fresh water 24/7. I can't think of a reason the fawns would have died off? most of the deer I have seen so far look pretty good. I saw a really nice buck yesterday that I've never seen before and he looked good. All the young bucks and does look good too. I think it's just too **** hot for them to move around.

Comment

Yeah, hope so. I saw quite a few deer last weekend. Two mature bucks. One was a good ten. Can't wait to see how he finishes out. Camera activity has definitely slowed with only young deer coming to the pens. Don't know what there eating cause it's been so dang dusty. But hopefully this little bit of rain will green things up for one last hoorah.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
              Looking like we may get some rain in Harlingen right now. Hopefully it hits our ranch in Raymondville!
              I’m sure Raymondville got a good down pour, radar was showing red in that area.

Comment

Yeah, hope so. I saw quite a few deer last weekend. Two mature bucks. One was a good ten. Can't wait to see how he finishes out. Camera activity has definitely slowed with only young deer coming to the pens. Don't know what there eating cause it's been so dang dusty. But hopefully this little bit of rain will green things up for one last hoorah.
                cactus and mesquite beans I'd guess.... tons of beans are still on the trees. I passed by one clump of mesquites that literally had a layer of beans underneath it... some brown and some still green. When the weather sucks, they will hit those mesquites pretty hard. I've also been seeing pooped out cactus everywhere. that might be pigs too.
                Last edited by kyle1974; 08-25-2019, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Anybody that hunts between Freer & Laredo get any rain today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How many are headed down for the Labor Day weekend?

We will be getting corn spinning in 18 feeders and may fill protein for the last time this year.

Will also finish getting the hunting cabins setup including directv for football watching.

A few people may try to shoot some white wings on Sunday evening.

It’ll be hot but still looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
                      Anybody that hunts between Freer & Laredo get any rain today?

Yes, not sure how much but got this picture Saturday.
                      Attached Files

Comment

It was rough seeing everyone hitting the dove fields this weekend and we still have two weeks at our place.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                          It was rough seeing everyone hitting the dove fields this weekend and we still have two weeks at our place.

The entire south zone is in the special white wing zone area. Therefore, season opened at noon on Sunday in the south zone. You could have hunted and killed a limit of white wings but no more than 2 morning doves. I’ve seen several people post that the south zone doesn’t open until the 14th. That’s not necessarily true considering the special white wing zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike M View Post
                            The entire south zone is in the special white wing zone area. Therefore, season opened at noon on Sunday in the south zone. You could have hunted and killed a limit of white wings but no more than 2 morning doves. I’ve seen several people post that the south zone doesn’t open until the 14th. That’s not necessarily true considering the special white wing zone.

Way too far for me to drive because we don’t have too many white wings. I head down the opening day of morning dove so I have a chance at Both.

Comment

Flew Sunday, we had a 47% fawn crop. My pasture usually has the lowest number cause we fly early. After the biologist flies my neighbors, he will get an average. I should be around 60 to 65%

Comment

Nobody wants to share some Labor day weekend pics? We had a couple cameras out on some new feeders, but hogs got us pretty good. We'll be back in a couple weeks to take care of that. They'd be waiting on the feeder to go off, and clean it up in 5 mins. We didn't put pens up because we wanted to be able to shoot some hogs with our bows, but my goodness there are a ton of them! I'm thinking once we start shooting them they'll back off a little bit and let the deer come in. If not we'll have to pen them up. We got all the cams out last weekend so hopefully we'll get some good stuff in the next couple weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X