Dalmatian dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    My dog was socialized. He was good at first and went south as he got older. All my dogs are socialized and obedience trained. My working labs went through more extensive training than 99.9% of the biscuit eating socialized yard runners so I understand the concepts and needs.

Socializing dogs and obedience training is nothing new. Bad owners making bad dogs is nothing new either. But some breeds of dogs just aren’t meant to be family dogs... sure there are some outliers and some “oh yeah my dog wouldn’t hurt a fly” owners but as a whole through the years I have heard more bad about Dalmatians than good and it’s not close. This thread pretty much follows the trend.
    Agree with above... had one as a teenager and they take a lot of work. Ours was very hard headed and extremely smart. Tons of obedience work put in with her but she just had a mind of her own, was temperamental (ornery) and DID NOT LIKE strangers of any kind. All my friends knew to avoid our yard if she was outside. Know of several people who got dalmatians because of the Budweiser commercials only to give them up because of issues.

If you get one, just don't expect it to be blindly loyal/friendly like a lab. Different breed.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Dalmations. They are protective, aggressive and prone to biting not to mention they are frequently deaf. I have some scars on my leg where I was attacked and bitten by a stupid dalmation. They are the opposite of Labradors IMHO.

Comment

They dig huge holes every where

Comment

My only experience around one was my neighbor's when I was a kid. My brother and I used to take care of their pets whenever they went on trips or vacations as a little "job". The neighbor and their other dogs were cool, but their dalmation was a piece of work. I was always nervous around that dog, and though I never got bitten, I always felt like it was only a matter of time. Sucker was mean.

Comment

If you like spots, you can always just get you a black and white GSP. Mine is horribly stubborn, and eats like a horse, but he's as sweet as can be.
            Attached Files

Comment

Get a pug and enjoy. Skip the Dalmations.

Comment

I believe socialization is key. Some dogs are done from the get go. Everybody and their mom breeding for spots not taking into temperament. If you bought from a reputable breeder I dont see any issues.

Comment

We got one for my daughters birthday years ago. The absolutely dumbest dog we have ever had!!! Then it got on the chicken killing phase and I was about to shoot it when wife gave it away to cousin.

We have always had border collies and still do.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    My best friend had one growing up. It was a mean *** dog and would try to bite everyone that didn't live there.
                    Wasn't my best friend but the dog was the same!

Comment

Not much good to say about my experience with them. Aggressive and intolerant of children

Comment

Y’all have confirmed what I thought to be true.
                        My mind was made up after about the first 5 posts.
                        She has read this thread and understands why it is not a good idea.
                        Looks like I will get another Labrador retriever when we are ready.
                        Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                          I’m sure some will disagree, but it’s all in how you socialize them as a pup and continue on thru their first year. I have a 160 pound male Presa Canario, known by most as “man eaters” and banned in many countries across the world. He was fully obedience trained by 6 months. I started socializing him the day I brought him home. He is know 2.5 years old. He goes to the nursing home with me to visit my grandma all the time. He’s been to the Veterans Center. Anyone can pet him, but he is protective of me as far as he never takes his eyes off me and always stays between me and whoever else is around.

My point in saying this is, any breed can be mean/aggressive. Any breed can be gentle/nice to all. You as the owner are responsible for how they turn out. If you don’t work with them and just let them decide how they want to be on their own.....well it’s a crap shoot. Cocker Spaniels have disfigured more kids faces than just about any other breed.

Let's see that big ole puppy!!!

Comment

I was attacked by a dalmatian when I was 10 years old and have never liked them since.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                              Had a friend as a kid growing up that had a male and a female and they had to be locked up anytime someone came over including me. Meanest dogs I ever saw.

My experience as well.

You couldn’t pay me to own a Dalmatian or have one around my kids.

Comment

I think they’re cool dogs!

Comment

Working...
                                X