Austin loses state funding for Formula One race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
    same people cheering for little idiot Abbott are mad at AOC for the same thing....irony.
    My thought exactly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like someone is pulling numbers out of there azz

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
        My thought exactly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
        LOL...it's not the same thing. With the COTA deal Texas actually handed money over to COTA. The Amazon deal was tax subsidies for a decade. NY said they'd waive the tax burden for a decade; in exchange 25,000 jobs - most average around $105k per year would come to the NYC area. NY didn't promise to give Amazon a check. There is a difference. That AOC ommunist is so dumb she later claimed that the tax subside "money" can now be given to working families for (insert communist redistribution policy). She actually thought that New York was giving Amazon money. But here is the thing - there was no money to give.

Let me break it down.

New York Amazon Deal:
        You have a ranch. Texas says that you won't have to pay property taxes for a year if you bring the ranch to Texas.

Texas/COTA Deal:

Texas wants you to bring your ranch to the state. They hand you a check
        that comes out of the state coffers every year. Money that came from other taxpayers.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          I'd like to see real proof of those numbers listed as well. $53.2 million state tax surplus. How? We don't have a state sales tax.
          Whaaat? Perhaps they don't collect it in your neck of the woods, but there most certainly is a 6.25% state sales tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
            If it's actually producing that much money, then why do they need a measly $25 million to make it happen? Either it makes money, or it doesn't and should be allowed to fall on its face. It is not the government's roll to prop up private business. I truly hope that they are extremely successful and make millions upon millions. I just don't want tax dollars to be the source. I understand what you are saying. I just fundamentally disagree with the premise.
            The monies a sporting event brings into the state has nothing to do with how much the particular sport makes for itself. If Texas paid them $27 million and made more back for the state/city then it's a win-win. Hotels, food, cabs, other events they may visit, other items they may buy, etc... all go towards more people working. More income tax and more sales tax. Win-win

Comment

The numbers do not add up. This event has been ongoing for years. If the state was making that much more than they are paying out why would they suddenly have an issue? There has to be more to the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                same people cheering for little idiot Abbott are mad at AOC for the same thing....irony.
                I didnt want to call them out but yes it is very ironic. I find the extremes on both sides are actually really close together.

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
                  LOL...it's not the same thing. With the COTA deal Texas actually handed money over to COTA. The Amazon deal was tax subsidies for a decade. NY said they'd waive the tax burden for a decade; in exchange 25,000 jobs - most average around $105k per year would come to the NYC area. NY didn't promise to give Amazon a check. There is a difference. That AOC ommunist is so dumb she later claimed that the tax subside "money" can now be given to working families for (insert communist redistribution policy). She actually thought that New York was giving Amazon money. But here is the thing - there was no money to give.

Let me break it down.

New York Amazon Deal:
                  You have a ranch. Texas says that you won't have to pay property taxes for a year if you bring the ranch to Texas.

Texas/COTA Deal:

Texas wants you to bring your ranch to the state. They hand you a check
                  that comes out of the state coffers every year. Money that came from other taxpayers.
                  You do realize it's the same coffers? You would be better to compare it to a discount vs rebate. One happens at the register and the other sent to you later via mail.

Comment

Originally posted by skiguy327 View Post
                    Yep. $20M is definitely worth it. That’s a heck of a return on investment. While I’m not an F1 fan, the race is good PR for Texas and USA motor sports. I hope there’s a way COTA can work things out with the state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    I'd wager taxpayers paid in a ton more than 20 million.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      What exactly does the states money pay them for?
                      The city/state pays for most events. Part of my wife's job was dealing with this. Pro fishing tournaments, even the firefighters games the city drops cash to get them out there, covers hotel, food etc

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                        Whaaat? Perhaps they don't collect it in your neck of the woods, but there most certainly is a 6.25% state sales tax.

I have no idea why I posted that. Rough night of not much sleep I guess.

Comment

Appears Mexico just pulled state funding for their F1 race too, some shady stuff going on behind the scenes probably, https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...1-race-funding

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                            Modern era F1 has been tried in Phoenix, Dallas, Detroit, Long Beach, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, and Watkins Glen.

Most were money losers for the venue and the local promoters. That's why they didn't continue.

F1 itself, and Bernie Eccelstone in particular, made billions.
                            1000%!, Bernie long knew he was the smartest person in the room and took advantage of it, dude was an evil genius.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              I have no idea why I posted that. Rough night of not much sleep I guess.
                              Probably because you didn't eat for 70 something hours.[emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Austin used to be pretty nice area. My grandparents lived in Logovista for years. My mother and I use to go up there about 2-3 times a year. I can not believe how democratic that area has become. My wife and I went to Bastrop last year to go camping. I could not believe all the beto signs we seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X