Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

to leave cocked or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve got an 11.5” SBR, G19, and G43 that stay hot at all times. The rest are most likely in the safe. If it’s out of the safe then it’s probably hot also.

Comment

Unless they are part of my "defense", stored guns in my vault are un-cocked and hammer spring released.
      Same here. All my O/U shotguns have snap caps and do not stay cocked and bolt action rifles get closed with my finger on the trigger to release the spring. Nothing is cocked in my safes.

Comment

Nope!

Comment

Originally posted by dcbrown View Post
          Same for me. One shotgun, one rifle and at least two pistols cocked and locked at all times.
          I should of stated that these are defense weapons.
          Last edited by dcbrown; 02-14-2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
            In answer to your question. Yes, I release tension on the firing pin spring when storing guns. For bolt and hammer rifles it's easy to do without "dropping" the pin on an empty chamber. For shotguns I use snap caps. I think they make them for rifle cartridges as well.
            How do you release the firing pin on a bolt gun without dry-firing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              How do you release the firing pin on a bolt gun without dry-firing it?
              Make sure it’s unloaded first! Then pull the trigger as you close the bolt.

I keep two semi auto margins loaded. One under the seat in my truck and my duty weapon stays loaded and quickly accessible. I keep the mag loaded in my AR in the gunsafe.

Comment

You will get longer firing pin trigger life if you store a gun with the spring decompressed. This is a big deal in older rifles like mausers and 1903's unless the spring has been replaced with a newer, better metallurgy spring. Not as important in modern guns but can't hurt. Gunsmiths used to make a lot of money replacing firing pin springs when most guys deer rifle was a surplus WWI or WWII rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post

I keep two semi auto margins loaded. One under the seat in my truck and my duty weapon stays loaded and quickly accessible. I keep the mag loaded in my AR in the gunsafe.
                  No, this is what I do all the time..

Comment

Depends on the weapon.

Pistols - semi auto - fully loaded charged and ready to go.

Revolvers - usually loaded, hammer down

ARs - fully loaded, charged & ready to go

Defensive shotguns - fully loaded ready to go

Hunting shotguns - unloaded typically open breech and unloaded

Bolt guns - typically unloaded and bolt removed (easier to store without scratching up other guns nearby)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post

Cool. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by treestand View Post
                        You will get longer firing pin trigger life if you store a gun with the spring decompressed. This is a big deal in older rifles like mausers and 1903's unless the spring has been replaced with a newer, better metallurgy spring. Not as important in modern guns but can't hurt. Gunsmiths used to make a lot of money replacing firing pin springs when most guys deer rifle was a surplus WWI or WWII rifle.
                        That’s interesting. I read somewhere quite a while ago that it’s not whether the spring stays compressed or decompressed, but rather the number of compressions and decompressions that effect wear. It makes sense that metallurgy has changed quite a bit over the years so I suppose maybe it applies to modern springs.

Comment

Working...
                        X