Pellet grille vs propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet grille vs propane

I know they are completely different but wanted yalls thoughts if you could only have one.

Have never had a smoker of any kind and only had propane. It came to the end of its life when moving and looking at getting something. Don't want to spend $1k on a pellet grille wishing I had propane still and then have to spend another $1k on a propane grille. So if you could only have one or the other which would you go with and why. Thanks for the help.

Pellet grill. Can’t get good smoke flavor with gas, and the pellet grill can be used without smoke so it’s pretty much a gas grill

Comment

My 2* for what it’s worth. It really depends on what you like to eat more of. If you like to cook brisket, ribs, chicken and smoke some tenderloin that’s what you’ll get with the pellet grill. I have cooked pies, cold smoked cheese, and baked lots of bread in mine.

If you like grilling, burgers, steaks, chicken and whatnot then go for the propane grill.

Personally, I have a plain charcoal grill for the “whatnots” that I spent very little on but use regularly and I’ve got a traeger that I got on sale and absolutely love. I enjoy something on the Traeger about once every two weeks or sooner and I enjoy something on the grill about once a week. If it were me, I’d have both if you want the propane over the charcoal. A little Smokey lasts forever and takes up a small footprint. It’s the pellet grill that will take up space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hands down pellet grill.

Comment

Always wanted to try a Traeger. A week ago my neighbor and I smoked a 25lb piggy we trapped. It was outstanding!

Comment

Pellet grill

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
              My 2* for what it’s worth. It really depends on what you like to eat more of. If you like to cook brisket, ribs, chicken and smoke some tenderloin that’s what you’ll get with the pellet grill. I have cooked pies, cold smoked cheese, and baked lots of bread in mine.

If you like grilling, burgers, steaks, chicken and whatnot then go for the propane grill.

Personally, I have a plain charcoal grill for the “whatnots” that I spent very little on but use regularly and I’ve got a traeger that I got on sale and absolutely love. I enjoy something on the Traeger about once every two weeks or sooner and I enjoy something on the grill about once a week. If it were me, I’d have both if you want the propane over the charcoal. A little Smokey lasts forever and takes up a small footprint. It’s the pellet grill that will take up space.

This is the best answer. Gas is good for grilling (Searing), and pellets are good for slow cooks/smoking. Also, my Traeger doesn't put out near enough smokey flavor. I could get my old gas smoker to make a much smokier flavor. We also have a charcoal grill and Traeger.

Comment

Why not a standard offset smoker? Then you have the large cooking chamber for charcoal grilling and the fire box for low-n-slow smoking.

Comment

I second what was said above. I love the RecTec for brisket, chicken, ribs, etc. Even did macaroni in there for superbowl. It's essentially an easy-bake oven for grown men (and women).

For searing steaks, warming sausage, or cooking burgers, I have an 18" Old Smokey that I bought on sale at HEB before last summer for $25. That sucker gets hot and stays that way plenty long enough. Found some 12" leg extenders and it makes it a lot more practical.

Best of both worlds. For those of us with limited space, at least.

EDIT to add a tip: If you get the pellet grill, spend an extra $20 for the Amaze-N smoke tube. It's a must.
                  Last edited by BlackHogDown; 02-14-2019, 06:54 AM.

Comment

For quick, everyday convenience and healthy eating.....gas grills are great.

For really good stuff......cook over hot mesquite.

Pellet grills are for liberal hipsters in skinny jeans.

Comment

As long as you do your research and are willing to spend some $$ a pellet grill will do it all.

The Pitts & Spitts pellet grills will get to 650° for searing or fast cooking pizzas and it will get down low enough to cold smoke and pretty much anything in between.

Comment

I would have to go gas for the convenience, you can get a really cheap smoker and have both. A primo ceramic grill covers it all, takes a few minutes to get the fire going.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                          For quick, everyday convenience and healthy eating.....gas grills are great.

For really good stuff......cook over hot mesquite.

Pellet grills are for liberal hipsters in skinny jeans.
                          … Or young conservatives limited to a 36sf, third floor balcony who were raised on mesquite-smoked BBQ, refuse to eat soggy, oven-baked chicken, and also enjoy the occasional pork or beef rib

Can't do that on the gas grill!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pellet is my choice ..Pit Boss has a grilling area on some models..I'm pretty sure other brands do.....I had mine about a year and its the best thing I ever owned...I Burned up several Gas grills over years..Still own a Lyfe Tyme off set..48x24 with fire box gona give it to daughter....Its not been used since I got Pit Boss..
                            Best thing about Pellet is set it on TEMP which is usually low so you don't have to turn meat.Put meat on and walk away...Check now and then so you dont run out of pellets..Mine is smaller and pellets make it for 3or 4 hours ...Cuz got a bigger one its good for 7h or so....
                            I thought Pellets would be more expensive...But my gut feel they aint...cause by time you buy charcoal / lighter and or wood....its about same...If ya gather your own wood then of course its cheaper

and I aint BURNED nothing since I got pellet stove
                            Last edited by cva34; 02-14-2019, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I have a pit boss and use it for everything. You can flame broil on it as well. Its been a great investment. You can set it and walk away instead of tending a fire. I love a real smoker but the pit boss is pretty cool

Comment

Working...
                              X