Incredible new bow for 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
    I'd like the idea of modification being done on my old bowtech Tomcat.
    It's b/h is superlong.
    30 draw, 70# limbs
    A shorter d/l with lower# sounds good to me.
    the Tomcat is a bow that could be used, but
    i can not do anything with this. i don't touch 70 pound limbs less you want an 85-90 pound bow and even then thats more than i want to be around, it should work but that putting rocket fuel in your rice burner - call Darwin before you start and keep that life policy up to date.

as current the cam systems are all set to be around 30-30.5"

some of the longer draw bows use the same cam with increased BH. see the Z9 example.

i really can only help people with the disadvantage of short draws and low pounds.

but if you are around 26-28" and want a smoother shooting bow than some of these "speed" bows of today i have a few options as well. look back and see that i shoot one of these myself. psss but i mostly use my wifes bow because pulling 42lbs is sooooo much easier and her bow shoots like 280 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
      Some of you guys seem like a whole lot of fun.

Really cool, OP.
      Yep

Comment

So technically it would work if i had say, 40-50# limbs vs 60-70?

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
          So technically it would work if i had say, 40-50# limbs vs 60-70?
          yes but you will also lose real world draw length.

so i am about a 28" draw historically, now i kind of like a 27.5" getting old i guess

i would start with a cam setup around 29.5 and the lightest limbs i can get (usually 50) then when i'm done i have a 27.5" draw bow around 70lbs.
          me personally then back the pounds way down to something girlish like 55 and fling arrows at great power KE momentum... don't want to step on the wrong word.... speed... crap! anyway i kill game just fine and so do my kids
          life is great and God is Greater

Comment

Why/How does something as simple as this, something that is pretty dang cool, turn into a dang pissin match... If you have questions ask them don't argue who knows what best.

OP cool cool and curious if there's a price for one of these things, either one you have built or if I find a bow what would it cost for you to build one out for me, I have a 16 mo daughter who I hope when she old enough will be into bow hunting and it looks like these things work!

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
                Why/How does something as simple as this, something that is pretty dang cool, turn into a dang pissin match... If you have questions ask them don't argue who knows what best.

OP cool cool and curious if there's a price for one of these things, either one you have built or if I find a bow what would it cost for you to build one out for me, I have a 16 mo daughter who I hope when she old enough will be into bow hunting and it looks like these things work!
                pm sent i help as much as i can and always for free
                God blessed me with hands to work and a mind to think

quote - I used to cry because I didn't have any shoes, until I met someone who didn't have any feet. - Hellene Keller

Comment

Great idea and great for the kiddos. At first read I was kinda concerned of the limb mod for safety reasons but it sounds like you have done enough of these to know it safe. May try this on one of my old bows.

Comment

I'm still rolling it around in my brain to try and make sense of it but I am a hands on kind of guy. Don't let the naysayers get ya. I like tinkering and It looks like you are onto something.

Comment

Originally posted by Slickrick View Post
                      Great idea and great for the kiddos. At first read I was kinda concerned of the limb mod for safety reasons but it sounds like you have done enough of these to know it safe. May try this on one of my old bows.
                      if anyone has a crazy notion to do anything please do contact me and i can give a few of the small list of things that make this work. and its not much but i have learned a few things

832 477 6500
                      zane

Comment

this was 33lbs 20.5" draw

any questions?
                        think i dropped my microphone somewhere....
                        oh dang yall are going to see i modify broadheads too
                        Attached Files

Comment

You stated that you were a Mechanical Engineer. Have you done any calculation based off tensile strength of the limb material? If so what factor of safety are you getting after these modifications? I understand the concept of shortening the brace height to increase the length of stroke but this also shortens the moment arm and increases pressure at its fulcrum point. What PSI are you using and are you calculating for yield or ultimate breaking strength?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                            You stated that you were a Mechanical Engineer. Have you done any calculation based off tensile strength of the limb material? If so what factor of safety are you getting after these modifications? I understand the concept of shortening the brace height to increase the length of stroke but this also shortens the moment arm and increases pressure at its fulcrum point. What PSI are you using and are you calculating for yield or ultimate breaking strength?
                            i also have real job and 5 kids so no i have not done any calculations.
                            however i logically concluded that if a limb and riser structure was good for 70lbs draw weight and i stay very near to the geometry of what you might call normal, building a bow that experiences 45lbs draw weight can't possibly be under greater load.

Comment

best invention ever
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zanemanaggie View Post
                                i also have real job and 5 kids so no i have not done any calculations.
                                however i logically concluded that if a limb and riser structure was good for 70lbs draw weight and i stay very near to the geometry of what you might call normal, building a bow that experiences 45lbs draw weight can't possibly be under greater load.
                                You might want to go back and do some more concluding. I don't think this is a linear equation that can be concluded with such ease. However, most bows are engineered with a higher factor of safety than needed in order to get liability insurance. You probably a skirting the limits of the material. It's probably not going to blow up if you've been testing it for a while. I was just curious if you took the time to know how long the fuse was on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X