Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Points of clarification:

I got stopped on the interstate by DPS for no license plate on my trailer. Legdog, naturally, decided he wanted to photograph the exchange. Officer asked where we had been and if we had luck, then asked to see inside the cooler. We proudly showed him! He said he was "pretty sure you're not supposed to process beyond quarters" (which Steven had done at camp in order to teach Mary how easy it was to debone and separate the muscles), but he knew a couple of GW friends in the neighborhood he could call to ask. They showed up moments later.

Legdog got a ticket from the GWs for processing beyond quarters and failing to complete the log (first year of the log system, I believe). I got a warning from the kind DPS officer for no license plate.

Good luck to the OP on getting this resolved. It certainly sounds, based on your story, that the GW overstepped a bit. Fortunately, I think most Texas GW's are good at their jobs.
    I actually looked at that post before I posted my story.

Comment

sadly seems to be more and more common shame is that it takes so much time, effort, and money to fight something so blatantly wrong. {given that your story is factual). Seems like a very teachable moment for your daughter, really not any different than activist judges.

to all the good professional LEO's out there thanks and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        He was wrong, period. Being wrong happens...but there's no reason to be an *******. We have one in Wise County too.
        That's no joke.

Comment

This is were things have always been foggy for me. We have cold storage at the lease and several members debone and enter into the logbook that wee keep there. As far as I know we are within compliance. We have had green jeans come by a few times and look at our book, facilities, etc. and only gave a ticket to a member that rode up with a non-tagged deer to the skinning rack. However, we do not have anything to go with the de-boned meat once you leave the ranch besides the tag and proof of sex. If we get stopped I can see that being a problem. Would we have to drive back to the ranch to show the log?
          Whenever I’ve deboned at deer camp, the meat is packaged, labeled, and frozen. Its usually in white butcher paper or in plastic bags. If I were to get stopped and searched in Texas, I’d just tell the game warden that the meat is on its way home from the processor.

Comment

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
            Whenever I’ve deboned at deer camp, the meat is packaged, labeled, and frozen. Its usually in white butcher paper or in plastic bags. If I were to get stopped and searched in Texas, I’d just tell the game warden that the meat is on its way home from the processor.
            I am betting he would ask to see your receipt...but who knows

Comment

In the future, if you transport without a head. It may be a good idea to use your phone and document the deer with a video.

Comment

Totally crazy!

Comment

We had one like that back in the 70's in Walker county JP Judge asked we bring the head by for him to see. Is was about a week later we took him the head. He came out and looked then dismissed the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                    In the future, if you transport without a head. It may be a good idea to use your phone and document the deer with a video.
                    I fill out proof of sex statements for hunters when they are transporting deer and want to leave the head.

Comment

(d) A wildlife resource document completed by the person who killed the deer must accompany the head or other part of the deer not accompanied by a tag if at any time before the carcass is finally processed the head or other part of the deer no longer accompanies the carcass. If a portion of the carcass is divided among persons and separated and the person who killed the deer retains a portion of the carcass, that person shall retain the tag with the portion of the carcass retained by that person. A wildlife resource document shall be retained with the head of a deer that is not kept with the carcass until the head is delivered to the owner after taxidermy or, if not treated by a taxidermist, until delivered to a final destination.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Points of clarification:

I got stopped on the interstate by DPS for no license plate on my trailer. Legdog, naturally, decided he wanted to photograph the exchange. Officer asked where we had been and if we had luck, then asked to see inside the cooler. We proudly showed him! He said he was "pretty sure you're not supposed to process beyond quarters" (which Steven had done at camp in order to teach Mary how easy it was to debone and separate the muscles), but he knew a couple of GW friends in the neighborhood he could call to ask. They showed up moments later.

Legdog got a ticket from the GWs for processing beyond quarters and failing to complete the log (first year of the log system, I believe). I got a warning from the kind DPS officer for no license plate.

Good luck to the OP on getting this resolved. It certainly sounds, based on your story, that the GW overstepped a bit. Fortunately, I think most Texas GW's are good at their jobs.
                        Man all these GW stories got me looking up stuff all afternoon. I remember a guy on here once commented that, even though he deboned, he didn't process beyond 4 quarters. The outdoor annual isn't clear what defines a quarter. But the code does, pretty interesting.

(8) "Quartering" means the processing of an animal into not more than two hindquarters each having the leg bone (femur) attached down to the knee and two front shoulders each having the leg bones (scapula and humerus) attached down to the elbow. The term also includes removal of two back straps.

Comment

The ranch owner of our lease has a big cook out season opener , local game wardens, sheriffs and border patrol come we get to hear from them ask questions. It’s pretty cool on occasion they stop at camp and check out of state license which is fine with us we had the place 20plus years. They give us their phone numbers directly in case of emergency must of them and border patrol have emergency equipment and are close by can get there before any other help could come in. Most gw’s are stand up guys and love to hunt as much as us. Well good luck getting this fixed.

Comment

If that was back in the 2004-2007 years, 2 of the guys down there got relocated because of reoccurring problems with hunters.
                            Yes in 2006.

Comment

Never had a bad deal with game wardens. I did have one stop me two times on lake Brownwood wanting to see life jackets etc. I figure he just forgot he had already checked me. It was no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
                                I have learned that lying gets you a ticket. I believe our setup is 100% legal based on the regs. However, we do not send anything home with the camp processing guys. This is my grey area, are those guys driving back to show permanent cooler and camp house with logbook?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X