No announcement yet.

First elk hunt argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your correct, if your doing an over the counter here on public land I would shoot the first leagal animal you can. Even if that is a cow elk. I have hunted my ***** off for them and some times your lucky to even get a glimpse of an elk in 10 days of hunting. You pass on one you may not see another one for a couple years. If your hunting in a limited draw that requires a lot of points, private land, hire an outfitter then I would say you may want to hold out for a bigger bull. If I was you, I would ask him to come hunt with you. I guarantee he shoots at the first leagal one he sees. That’s if you could stand being around him for 10 days. Don’t think I could, by the sounds of it. And who knows the first one you see may be a 360 class bull, it’s possible. And that’s what keeps people coming after them. I would suggest you get a deer lic. if possible also. They are much more prevalent then elk, most of the time. If your in the right spot at the right time you may be over run by elk. But still take advantage if you get the chance. Good luck, the peak of the rut is normally around the week of black powder season here, or the week after.

Comment

No corn feeders or feeder pens in elk hunting, if you get a opportunity at a legal bull on public and pass then I hope you plan on devoting years to the pursuit of a trophy bull which totally depends on personal perspective on " trophy".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Funny how people who have never elk hunted have such definitive opinions on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I think I wouldn't care how he thinks. Any bull harvested with a bow in CO is an accomplishment!
          Good hunting to ya!

Comment

Legal equals shoot

Comment

Would not pass up an opportunity to shoot any legal bull elk with archery equipment in CO OTC units. In our experiences, it's typically not a pick and choose your animal type of hunt, especially if you don't have time to scout and only have limited days in the backcountry. If you get a legal bull (or even cow in some cases) within range, take the shot. The adventure, the hunt, and the pack out will make the experience unforgettable.

Comment

I think the overall success rate for harvesting an elk in Colorado with a bow is about 9-10%. In an OTC unit, that percentage goes down even more. I would hope for a bull of a life time, but be willing to harvest any legal elk, and be happy to just be out there.

Finding elk on your own is a big accomplishment. If you listened to your friend, you may take an elk every 7 to 10 years

Comment

when I go I am happy to shoot anything, that's why I buy an either sex tag. first cow or legal bull comes by me I am slinging an arrow.

Comment

I usually try to ignore people’s opinion when they don’t know what the hell they are talking about.

Comment

Tell your "friend" to kiss it in the crack. I've been DIY public land in Colorado a half dozen times and have one 5 x 5 to show for it. Don't pass a cow if it's legal. It's way more about the experience than the kill, but soooo rewarding when you finally do. Good luck!

Comment

Get an either sex tag if you can. ANY archery OTC Elk is an accomplishment. Hunt for fun and hunt for food. If you get lucky and get a nice bull great. If you get lucky and get a nice cow, great meat! Go for the win-win and don't give 2 toots what anyone else thinks.

Comment

I have friends that spend 2 weeks every year on a DIY archery elk hunt. I'd shoot the first legal animal I saw. Several of them have only killed 1 or 2 animals in the last 10 years. And they shoot the first legal animal.

Comment

i've had DIY elk backstrap, I've also had tag soup. i prefer backstrap, nuf said.

Comment

I’ve been elk hunting 3 times, and never killed an elk. Next time I go, the first legal elk I see ( bull or cow ) is getting shot at!!!!

If your buddy wants only a mature bull, good for him! But that should in no way influence what would make you happy!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The Green Screen just gave you a green light! Have a plan to get the meat off the mountain

Comment

Working...
                                X