No announcement yet.

First elk hunt argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something about the “trophy” side, people who have never hunted or seen elk while hunting up close DIY without a guide or outfitters influence on animal taken, would shat their pants whether it be a cow or big bull with just how big and incredible those animals are and would want to take that animal for a victory lap on the way home.

First bull I ever killed was a measly little 4x4 but geez did that thing get my adrenaline going more than I can describe.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
      I disagree with your friend. I think the problem today is everyone thinks everyone should be a trophy hunter.

You are right. Any legal bull with an archery OTC tag in Colorado would be an accomplishment.

This...I would get a new friend to talk hunting about!

P.S. - After 7 years of trying (3 were full seasons while living in Alberta), I finally scored my first elk kill. I isn't easy and a DIY hunt on public lands only makes it harder. Like shooting the lead doe with your bow on a 100 acre tract in a tree stand you have been sitting in for 10 years...
      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
        Interested in the opinions of this group. I’ve been looking into going on a DIY OTC archery elk hunt in CO for a while now. I told a hunting friend about this and said I expect it to be so challenging that any legal bull would be an accomplishment for me. This sent him off the rails. He thinks this is the problem with hunting today - people “just killing something to check a box and not holding out for a mature trophy animal”. My perspective is I understand that and mostly agree as it pertains to deer hunting like we do in Texas, but this situation is very different. He thinks it’s no different. So, what are your opinions on the matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd argue that the opposite is the problem with hunting today. Either way, sitting in a blind waiting for a deer you have named and have watched for 4 years via a wireless piece of technology linked to a satalite, waiting for him to hit the age you deemed him worthy to be killed at doesn't really hold a drop of similarity to the hunting you are going to do.

Comment

I always follow one simple rule. The further off the road, the bigger it has to be to shoot.

Tell him these young animals need to be killed to keep the elk herd from overpopulating.

Comment

My overall opinion when talking about hunting, and should you or shouldn't you situations is, "If it makes you happy and it is legal, then harvest away and be happy." Hunting should be celebrated in all forms, whether trophy hunting, meat hunting, or just "experience" hunting. I may choose to take an animal or let em walk, but that does not mean that you or anyone else needs to make the same decision. Hunting is a personal endeavor, and each individual needs to set their own standards/rules/guidelines and not force theirs on others who may differ.

Just my $.02...

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
              Interested in the opinions of this group. I’ve been looking into going on a DIY OTC archery elk hunt in CO for a while now. I told a hunting friend about this and said I expect it to be so challenging that any legal bull would be an accomplishment for me. This sent him off the rails. He thinks this is the problem with hunting today - people “just killing something to check a box and not holding out for a mature trophy animal”. My perspective is I understand that and mostly agree as it pertains to deer hunting like we do in Texas, but this situation is very different. He thinks it’s no different. So, what are your opinions on the matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              As a person has done a DIY OTC archery elk hunt in CO....

You friend sounds like those who have never been and draws some sort of illusion based assumption with little to no experience or knowledge of said things at all... forms an opinion and then proceeds to make a judgement.

You can pick whatever name you want that simply describes those kind of people.

Comment

If your happy with the animal then what does it matter what your friend thinks?

Comment

If you always held out for a trophy you may never be able to get an Elk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    I’ve been elk hunting 3 times, and never killed an elk. Next time I go, the first legal elk I see ( bull or cow ) is getting shot at!!!!

If your buddy wants only a mature bull, good for him! But that should in no way influence what would make you happy!!!!

Bisch
                    I'm with Bisch

Comment

Shoot whatever makes you happy. This also pertains to deer and other types of hunting. If it is a trophy to you and gets you going, go for it.
                      Obviously some leases have rules on size, mature animal, etc.. but other than that...don't sweat it.

Comment

Yep, he has never hunted elk or ate it. Shoot whatever you want.

I went on a guided elk hunt in a very good area in New Mexico. I wanted to shoot a decent bull, which I did. After I got home and started eating it.....well I may be more inclined to shoot whatever is in bow range if I ever go elk hunting again. Cow, spike, rag horn, whatever. It is very good meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                          Walking up a mountain is an accomplishment
                          Word.. Your friend sounds annoying

Comment

I LIVE here, and unless I am burning points on a better tag, I will shoot a legal bull in a heartbeat, unless I have found ONE that I am trying to kill. That being said, after a few days of chasing a target animal I will happily stick an arrow in a legal bull. I have literally stuck a dink bull or two that I didnt even bother packing the head out of the hellhole I killed them in. To give you some perspective, I moved to Colorado in 2005. Got my outfitters license in 2007. Have personally taken somewhere in the neighborhood of 13-14 elk. I have taken exactly ONE trophy class bull for myself on public land, and he was 342, so def not a "monster". If you get a legal bull withing bow range on public land, put him in the freezer!

Comment

Working...
                            X