Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-resident pig hunting license needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
    ^ This. Farmers/ranchers can even shoot depredating game animals but they must leave them lay. They cannot keep any part of said animal and (if it’s a game animal) they would do best to inform the local GW afterwards to save him the trouble of starting an unnecessary investigation.

This is false they must go through a permit process before shooting and have to donate the meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
      PLEASE,

Show me in the regs where this is FACT!!!! I haven't had one person that could show me yet. Why??? IT'S NOT IN THERE!!!

I could bring my friend down from Kansas, let him go to my hay pasture, day or night, and let him kill and skin all the hogs he wants, without a license!!!

Now, if he comes out to my other place where we run hog hunts, then I would suggest he buy the non game license. Pretty simple.

Fact is that TPWD has decided that the law applies to anyone hunting hogs and you do not need a license even if you are from out of state. It has nothing to do with picking them up or any of that BS. That is just rumor. So anybody can hunt hogs in Texas without a license Period.

Comment

How does this work with Elk? I have seen Elk hunts advertised, on private land, with no license required because it's not a game animal.

Comment

Based on this thread alone it would be much easier to have him buy a license and be done with it!

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
            So anybody can hunt hogs in Texas without a license Period.

..... Haven’t we been over this?

Not correct... Read the regs and ask your county’s game warden.
            Last edited by 30-30; 01-30-2019, 05:44 AM.

Comment

cover your butt....get a license..no problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                PLEASE,

Show me in the regs where this is FACT!!!! I haven't had one person that could show me yet. Why??? IT'S NOT IN THERE!!!

I could bring my friend down from Kansas, let him go to my hay pasture, day or night, and let him kill and skin all the hogs he wants, without a license!!!

Now, if he comes out to my other place where we run hog hunts, then I would suggest he buy the non game license. Pretty simple.

The jist of the my post is that it can be confusing.

That's why I always recommend a License.

Comment

Parks Hunting Fishing Boating Game Warden Activities Wildlife Land Water Media CalendarRegulationsEducationVolunteer More...
                  General Information
                  Rules & Regulations
                  Other Useful Links
                  TPWD Permits
                  TPWD Permits Hunting & Wildlife Permits Depredation
                  Depredation Permit
                  The depredation permit may be issued to individuals who have evidence clearly showing certain protected wildlife is causing serious damage to commercial agricultural, horticultural, or aquacultural interests, or presents a threat to public safety (e.g., airport runways).

General Information
                  If not already done, you must create a user account and register your property with the Land Management Assistance (LMA) online system prior to submitting a depredation permit application. Once your property is registered with the LMA system, log in to TWIMS to complete a depredation permit application. Your TWIMS and LMA account log in credentials are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                    Fact is that TPWD has decided that the law applies to anyone hunting hogs and you do not need a license even if you are from out of state. It has nothing to do with picking them up or any of that BS. That is just rumor. So anybody can hunt hogs in Texas without a license Period.

You realize the word depredating is up to a GW's interpretation right? I've discussed this with LEOs in the past, and the general consensus was there needs to be a quantifiable monetary loss for pigs to be depredating, and generally only agricultural properties qualify. Good luck convincing any gw on your average property that your hogs are depredating, it's simply not the case.

Again, tf do I know. Go out and kill the pigs in your pasture without a license. I wont be getting the ticket in the end.

Comment

If you are a visitin grandpa's place and y'all are target shootin and a bunch of hogs "happen" to jump in front of your bullets and the GW comes by and sees a bunch of dead hogs layin all over the pasture and only buzzards n worms are a eatin then your ok but if your a huntin you need a license.

If you can afford to travel to Texas and can afford a gun, BUY THE DANG LICENSE YOU CHEAPSKATES.

Comment

While this is only sort of connected to the original question here is an deal that went down about 20 years ago in freestone county.....While GW's are normally great folks they had one back then that was a real jerk. We were catching hogs with dogs at the time. Anyway he demanded to see my hunting license. Now I had one in my pocket at the time but I told him that my family had been in Texas for the last couple of hundred years and had free ranged hogs in the past. I was simply trying to gather up my lost livestock. He did not like my answer but I told him to prove that I was wrong. He was being a jerk and so was I. If he starting writing me up I would have shown it to him but he just got mad and left. Now that I am 52 I would have probably handled it differently but I still hate a jerk.....LOL

-john

Comment

Clear as mud.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                            Yep.

Unless you are the land owner or land owner’s agent shooting depredating hogs.

If you are hunting for a good time, some meat, and some LDPs, you better have a license.

Skinny
                            This is spot on

Comment

If you claim to be a sovereign citizen you don't need a hunting license of any kind for any animal. I could have read that wrong though.

Comment

When I owned a hunting ranch the game warden said anyone hunting hogs on my place had to have at least a 5 day license.

Comment

Working...
                                X