No announcement yet.

skiing with 4 yr old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If adults/older kids don’t have much experience skiing then I’d say skip Taos - it’s great for the advanced skier but rule number 1 for skiing is have fun.

I’d also highly encourage getting all the kids into skiing - if you stick with it I see people skiing well into their 60’s and 70’s. Skiing is one of the few things I see teenagers enjoying with their parents.

Santa Fe is nice and a great family hill - you just have to drive to/from town about 30 minutes each way. Red River is cool - small, less challenging hill in a nice town.

I just got back from Big Sky Montana and we rented a small ski-in, ski-out cabin with a hot tub, grill, kitchen, wi-fi. If I had a family I’d try and find arrangements like this - throw something in the crockpot and at the end of the day you ski straight to the cabin and relax and eat whenever you want. Get tired - just head back for a mid-day rest.
    Last edited by StrayDog; 01-19-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Youd be shocked at how well a 4 year old picks up on skiing.

Comment

Little kids from about 3-5, pick up on skiing and snowboarding probably faster than any other age group. Put them in group lessons for about 2 or 3 days and they will shock you. Never fails seeing a group of little skiers and boarders and they are shredding.

Comment

When my kids were little we would go to red river and ruidoso.

Comment

Take them while they’re young and it’ll be like riding a bike when they get older.

Comment

The earlier the better for kids. The little ones can pick it up fast.

Another bonus is that all of the NM ski areas have excellent snow this early ski season.

I was in Ruidoso last evening and the town is as busy as it’s been in a good while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t miss out on a great vacation because your child is 4. 1-2 days of ski school and they will be able to ski most blues and any green. You will be more miserable if you wait because their learning curve will be flatter. Sking is my favorite family vacation, and my daughter started at 4.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  Little kids from about 3-5, pick up on skiing and snowboarding probably faster than any other age group. Put them in group lessons for about 2 or 3 days and they will shock you. Never fails seeing a group of little skiers and boarders and they are shredding.
                  Grommets, as they call them, are awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
                    If adults/older kids don’t have much experience skiing then I’d say skip Taos - it’s great for the advanced skier but rule number 1 for skiing is have fun.

I’d also highly encourage getting all the kids into skiing - if you stick with it I see people skiing well into their 60’s and 70’s. Skiing is one of the few things I see teenagers enjoying with their parents.

Santa Fe is nice and a great family hill - you just have to drive to/from town about 30 minutes each way. Red River is cool - small, less challenging hill in a nice town.

I just got back from Big Sky Montana and we rented a small ski-in, ski-out cabin with a hot tub, grill, kitchen, wi-fi. If I had a family I’d try and find arrangements like this - throw something in the crockpot and at the end of the day you ski straight to the cabin and relax and eat whenever you want. Get tired - just head back for a mid-day rest.
                    Nothing really that challenging at Santa Fe either. Taos is pretty much the only mountain in NM with true double blacks....and boy lemme tell ya they have some doozies. Lol.

Santa Fe is a great little mountain. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

AngelFire is a great beginners slope, and i wish i would have started at 4/ Raising them right! Have a blast.

Comment

My son is now 5, but started when he was two. We snowboard, not ski, but we never put in a class just spent some time with him on the bunny slopes. He can make it down any green run now. Don't expect to enjoy the whole mountain with the little ones unless you want to put them in ski school.

He also doesn't last the whole day... it wears him out. He loves taking breaks at the mid mountain lodge for some hot chocolate.

Comment

Working...
                        X