Gardeners...pepper plant ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
    Im rehashing this thread to post what Im going to do attempt germination.

I figure since the seeds need some sort of scarification and bird stomach acid is the most common method. I thought about feeding some peppers to my chickens then following them around for a week with a bucket collecting poop...not appealing. So...

Bird stomach acid pH apparently in the 2.4-2.6 range...and muriatic acid aka HCl is in the pH range of 3.0ish...Im going to mix in a ziploc bag some sand, Muriatic acid with some Chili Pequins (petin, Texas Bird Peppers, whatever) and let them sit for some (undetermined) length of time...maybe one bag for 1/2 an hour and another bag for 6hrs. Prolly shake the bags ever so often. Mechanical (sand) and chemical (acid) scarification of the seeds. Rinse with water then place back into more moist sand in a ziploc to sit it the kitchen window for germination. I hope it works out.
    A co-worker gave me about 25 red peppers. I just let the dry out for 2 months.
    I broke them apart so all the seeds were exposed. I let them sit out for another
    Week or so. I planted them in a very large pot in February/March time frame. They germinated & grew very well. I may have been lucky, but that is all I did
    To get them to grow.

Comment

Hot! Very hot peppers!

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
        A co-worker gave me about 25 red peppers. I just let the dry out for 2 months.
        I broke them apart so all the seeds were exposed. I let them sit out for another
        Week or so. I planted them in a very large pot in February/March time frame. They germinated & grew very well. I may have been lucky, but that is all I did
        To get them to grow.
        Good to hear!

Comment

Originally posted by Kbar View Post
          White vinegar
          And its non-toxic
          White vinegar pH 2.4ish.
          Im gonna try this alternative. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
            Looks like bird pepper, aka chiltepin. From what I have gathered, the pequin is longer and larger.

We have some at the lease in Victoria. ( I posted a thread just a few weeks ago related to this, and another plant i thought may be related or another pepper )
            I just bought a bag ( cup) of chili pequin and they look exactly like those. They for sure are no bigger. So either I got sold the wrong pepper, or those a pequins. And shoot there like 15.00 for a cup. I would keep the plant and put it to good use. Bite one, they should be pretty hot.

Comment

I've bought two from home depot. They carry them in the gardening section. Only one really took off. I planted it tight near the house between my purple sage bushes. It's 4' tall now. When ever it starts to lack in production my wife gives them a miracle grow treatment and two weeks later you can fill a zip lock sandwich bag full.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                White vinegar pH 2.4ish.
                Im gonna try this alternative. Thanks for the suggestion.
                I'm gonna skip the acid step and follow this:

Propagation
                Propagation Material: Seeds
                Description: Take cuttings throughout summer or start seeds in late winter in a greenhouse setting.
                Seed Treatment: Completely dry ripened fruits in a cool dry area and then break out the fresh seed and store in a dry, refrigerated setting until ready to plant
                Commercially Avail: yes
                Maintenance: Can be pruned to shape or to control height. Mild winter will not freeze them to the ground but it can be helpful to prune the back anyway to refresh if the plant is several years old.

I had seen a couple of plants earlier this week and this post reminded me to go get them picked before tonight.
                This is what was left today from probably 50 full red peppers Wednesday
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X