No announcement yet.

3/4 ton gas trucks. Need opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like my 3/4 ton Dodge with the 6.4. if it was smoother ridin I'd love it. this thing has power and can haul. I'll probably go back to a 1/2T just cause I really don't need a 3/4 but it is a beast.

Comment

I have a 2002 F250 V10 (6.8) with 230000 miles and still going. Awesome power in the low end but towing heavy at highway speeds suck. It gets 9-10 mpg and it's still my daily driver. It's the lariat crew cab and i've got 35's on it with a level kit. Its rough but thats what I wanted in a super duty. No major issues except it blew a spark plug out of the head but I fixed it myself with the kit. 350 bucks and I'm no mechanic. Just replaced wheel hubs and ball joints, all done by me and Youtube.

Down side is its loud even with a good muffler and low speeds, the V10 just sounds weird to me. Never had check engine lights be a bother but I like the tape idea.
      Last edited by h20thief; 01-16-2019, 08:54 AM. Reason: misspells

Comment

2019 f250 stock...with about 6k miles on it.. I get about 12-14 normally and it dropped to 5 pulling my loaded down 28' travel trailer 75 mph.

Comment

2017 gmc 2500 6.0L- 11.5 MPG over the life of 26,000 miles thus far according to the trucks calculations. I don't have a complaint one. Plenty of power for my daily driving and plenty power to tow the boat with (which is the only thing I tow with mine). The ONLY reason I went with a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton is due to the history of these 6.0 engines lasting a LONG time if taken care of. I wanted to buy once/cry once so that I would have a reliable truck all the way through my kids future expensive high school/college years
          Last edited by Codie; 01-16-2019, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I haven't seen a thread on this yet, thanks for bringing on up.

The only reason I'd get one over a 1/2 ton is if I'm pulling something heavier than a 1/2 ton. I don't like a trailer pushing me around. That being said I've never owned a gas 3/4 ton, just 3 or 4 diesels.

Comment

The Chevy will start getting better fuel mileage a couple years down the road. Most of the electronics will be broke and the alternator won't have to work so hard, dragging down the engine.

You'll also help with cleaning up our planet with all the recycled water bottles they use on the interior.
              Last edited by Traildust; 01-16-2019, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I have 3 Gmc/Chevy 2500hd sitting out in front of my house (My 2014 and my sons 2008,2005) all gas and one has over 300k, best trucks I have ever owned I will not buy another 1/2 ton for my wife EVER (She has a 08 Chevy 1500) that has little problem after little problem happening every month..

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
                  Chevy gives you a bigger 6.0 litre engine (400) basically a punched out 350. Power galore.
                  A 6 liter is like a 363 or something like that. A 6.6 is a 400.

Regardless, going with gas, I would go Dodge only because of the lifetime warranty. So long as you don't drive on winter roads, or the truck will be a pile of rust in months.

Comment

I’m anxious to see what pans out with the new Ford gasser coming out supposedly soon-

Rumors have been swirling about a new engine from Ford to replace the aging 6.2-liter V8 and the 6.8-liter V10, and now an inside source has confirmed to TFLTru

Before this rumor it was gonna be a 7.0l.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had the same dilemma somewhat. Im leaning towards 3/4 ton to have the extra towing, hauling. It won't be a daily driver. I tow a utv often, along w other gear when going to lease multiple times a year. 5 hr trip one way. I'd like to be able to haul my tractor out there at times. I've been debating more on gas vs. diesel. Ive been a chevy guy my whole life, but done with them after their recent layoffs and moving more work overseas. Leaning towards Ford.

Comment

Drive a 2018 F250 6.0 crew cab 4x4 LWB. Gets pretty good mileage for being so dang huge. 12-14 average on most tanks. Mine has the larger tank so it takes forever to fill up lol but I don’t have to stop as often to fill up. I think it’s 48 gallons. Mileage dropped bigtime when I pulled a 38ft pipe trailer. But overall not a bad truck. It’s nit as rough as the gasser chevys I’ve had. Interior is spacious as well

Comment

Can’t beat a 6.0 Chevy.

Comment

Regardless of MFG the reliability of V8 gas engines has gone down with the introduction of AFV and VVT. AFAIK the 3/4 ton trucks do not have this in the bigger gas engines. AFV active fuel management is hard on the dead cylinders many times causing excessive oil use because of the blow by on the rings. VVT variable valve timing has problems too. It's hard on the entire valve train. Valve trains like to be broken in and all the pieces lapped to their respective place. Start moving things around and bad things will happen. It's like having a timing chain wear out. The actuator for the timing gear(s) hasn't been reliable.
                            The 5.3 chevy Gen II and Gen III vortec was the best gas engine ever made until they mucked it up with AFV and VVT. Not uncommon to see these older 5.3 vortecs with 300k+ miles and still running strong.

Comment

the GM 6.0 is the tortoise. it lasts forever and ever, but it ain't no speed demon.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                                A 6 liter is like a 363 or something like that. A 6.6 is a 400.

Regardless, going with gas, I would go Dodge only because of the lifetime warranty. So long as you don't drive on winter roads, or the truck will be a pile of rust in months.

6.2 to be exact is a 400. Lol ,, I said basically might be tad bigger than 363. 5.7 is a 350 and 6.2 being the 400. I’m not good at splitting the atoms like I am doing calibers to MM, which is a basic Times 4 thing. The punched 6.0 gives great low end torque for towing. You’d have to change cam to make speed, but they are made I think just to tow weight. Really is a work horse engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X