No announcement yet.

2019 Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We played a team from Chicago today. They have only allowed 2 runs during pool play and have scored 82 runs in 5 games. We were tied 6-6 and they scored a run in the bottom of the 6th to win 7-6. We played well.

Single elimination bracket play starts tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

putting my 16 yr old on a plane tomorrow for Atlanta. He has been in Dallas for the past 2 weeks for a 5-tool event and the perfect game national tournament. They have a tough bracket with a game against Canes

Comment

Good luck to all these kids livin their dreams

Comment

Originally posted by DM3 View Post
          putting my 16 yr old on a plane tomorrow for Atlanta. He has been in Dallas for the past 2 weeks for a 5-tool event and the perfect game national tournament. They have a tough bracket with a game against Canes
          2021 or 2022?

We got edged out by a Canes team in the finals of the Five Tool Qualifier in Austin last weekend.

Good luck - I hope your bunch gets it done!

Comment

2019 Select Baseball

Originally posted by cwill View Post
            It'll be fun! Whatever you do don't teach your boys to win by bush league base running! It works at 9, but won't in a year or two. Seen tons of teams run crazy at 9-10 and win everything then at 11-12 they are lost and way behind. Also remember that the "stud" coach pitch and machine hitters may very well shut smooth down with kids throwing at them. Have fun with it and good luck!

We don’t have the talent to do that, and that’s not how we get down anyway.

Thank you all for the advice.

Best of luck to all those chasing big stuff the rest of the season!

Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-03-2019, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lukeduke View Post
              2021 or 2022?

We got edged out by a canes team in the finals of the five tool qualifier in austin last weekend.

Good luck - i hope your bunch gets it done!

Comment

You guys with kids that want to play at next level. Y’all need to coach them on everything except baseball. Talked to a coach at length yesterday. They are looking for certain things on field of course but just as important is non baseball.

You should coach the following- Social media (keep mouth shut period and less is better), hair cut and shave and looking young is better, never show any disagreement with umpire(no looks, sarcastic smile, hang head, nothing), don’t ever hang head on field and run in out. Warm up is very important and they watch it very close as they get to see baseball skill with lots of reps. Batting cages they watch.

Story with my kid- Late into baseball. Was playing football only and had a few injuries and quit football. He had form issues, lacks game experience, and is outings on the mound are either real good or he has control issues. He throws hard but not like some kids. His off the field and attitude are good

Yesterday he had a rocky outing. Toe is killing him and his velo he is not happy with. He came in and was throwing ok. Routine ball behind him got kicked. Kid never hung head or looked upset- Kid who kicked it hung head. Kid stepped off mound smiles at kid and gave him the thumbs up. Coach didn’t know it was my kid on mound. Looked at me and said - That right there is what I’m looking for- “ raw kid athlete lots of upside picks his team up and umpire squeezed him on last two batters and he has not shown it. I just smiled and he said- guess that’s your kid from the quick smile on your face be proud

Let your kids know everything they do is noticed

Comment

We headed to Baseball USA in Houston tomorrow pit stop at the Friday night Astro game before play on Saturday. 9U team playing up to 10U for the last tournament of the season. Never been to Baseball USA how are the fields - turf or grass/dirt - condition? Any pointers on parking etc?? TIA

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    You guys with kids that want to play at next level. Y’all need to coach them on everything except baseball. Talked to a coach at length yesterday. They are looking for certain things on field of course but just as important is non baseball.

You should coach the following- Social media (keep mouth shut period and less is better), hair cut and shave and looking young is better, never show any disagreement with umpire(no looks, sarcastic smile, hang head, nothing), don’t ever hang head on field and run in out. Warm up is very important and they watch it very close as they get to see baseball skill with lots of reps. Batting cages they watch.

Story with my kid- Late into baseball. Was playing football only and had a few injuries and quit football. He had form issues, lacks game experience, and is outings on the mound are either real good or he has control issues. He throws hard but not like some kids. His off the field and attitude are good

Yesterday he had a rocky outing. Toe is killing him and his velo he is not happy with. He came in and was throwing ok. Routine ball behind him got kicked. Kid never hung head or looked upset- Kid who kicked it hung head. Kid stepped off mound smiles at kid and gave him the thumbs up. Coach didn’t know it was my kid on mound. Looked at me and said - That right there is what I’m looking for- “ raw kid athlete lots of upside picks his team up and umpire squeezed him on last two batters and he has not shown it. I just smiled and he said- guess that’s your kid from the quick smile on your face be proud

Great stuff. I posted this before but to be quick I was at a HS game 2 years ago and had a MLB scout sitting in front of me. He was there watching the pitcher, catcher and CF. He was timing the pitcher on his move and release on every warm up pitch and the catcher on every throw down. He was also timing them on the bases on every hit they got. One of them popped a ball up to 2nd base and jogged to first, he timed him all the way to first and recorded the time.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post

Good Info we have coaches that played and coached at the D1 schools in fact one of our coaches was with Augie at UT and your advice in all your comments is spot on. They also say its the little things the small details that stand out when all the players are rated similar, like keeping your shoes and uniforms clean your equipment -gloves -helmets and such in good shape. Always being out of the dugout, fist bumping teammates and even the small thing like who is always out of the dugout chasing foul balls down the line or over the backstop. Good grades and social media are the 2 things that end most players ability to play at the next level.

Comment

Yup.. heard those same things repeated by friends with kids in juco/d1 programs...

.....Unless you're left handed throwing 90+....

Comment

2019 Select Baseball

Due to our hiccup on opening day we were put in the Silver Bracket and had the day off yesterday. All of our pitchers are rested and ready.

We Won the semifinal game this morning and play for the bracket championship at 12:30 today.

Last edited by salth2o; 07-05-2019, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Awesome good luck!

Comment

Kid went 3 innings this morning For the team he stayed to throw for. Was a good outing. Struck out 5 and gave up a run on a passed ball. Kid could not catch him well. Kid had never caught anyone over 83 and never seen a splitter. His coach that recruited him was there and liked it. It will be weight room and eating time. Play next weekends tourney at TCU
                              Last edited by glen; 07-05-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

2019 Select Baseball

We won our bracket championship 5-2. We weren’t in the bracket we wanted to be in, but we closed the year out with a win.

And...they gave away baseball cards for retiring foul balls. My 8 year old daughter was on a mission and collected 25 cards! [emoji23]

Last edited by salth2o; 07-05-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X