2019 Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
    I was wrong again - another Majors tournament NIT. Yee haw!!
    good luck to you guys

Comment

We played a 14U majors team awhile back & got our tails handed to us. I don’t know where these dudes came from but some of the biggest most developed 14 yr olds I’ve ever seen. One looked in the 6’1”-6’3” range & 175-185 lb range. One actually had a light beard. I laughed at that & told my son we need mark his face up with a full beard lol
      The starting pitcher was probably hitting 75 mph and our guys haven’t seen that yet. The entire lineup could hammer the ball well

Comment

I think it's a little of both. The kids are taking it extremely well, and seem to be progressing. They seem to be more and more competitive each week. He doesn't think they are Majors now, but believes they can / will be.

It's still obvious that we aren't a majors team as presently constructed. Add 2 more above average pitching/athlete pieces, and we could be for sure. We won't have those pieces, and may not get those pieces. I'm sure there are a lot of AAA teams that could say that.
        Seems like the coach is a lot optimistic to me. If you aren't winning some AAA tournaments, you really don't have any business in majors. Play AAA tournaments and win a few. You will get moved up to majors and won't have a choice. Until then, give your boys a chance to compete a little and have some fun. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
          We played a 14U majors team awhile back & got our tails handed to us. I don’t know where these dudes came from but some of the biggest most developed 14 yr olds I’ve ever seen. One looked in the 6’1”-6’3” range & 175-185 lb range. One actually had a light beard. I laughed at that & told my son we need mark his face up with a full beard lol
          The starting pitcher was probably hitting 75 mph and our guys haven’t seen that yet. The entire lineup could hammer the ball well
          i saw the texas raiders, formally texas bombers, 12u team a few weeks ago, #2 ranked team in the country. they have 3-4 kids that are over 200lbs easily. they were playing on a 300ft fence and one of them hit one into the road past left field fence. their 11u team has a couple kids that are probably 150lbs or better. our biggest 11u kid MIGHT be 105-110lbs, and he is super tall, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
            Seems like the coach is a lot optimistic to me. If you aren't winning some AAA tournaments, you really don't have any business in majors. Play AAA tournaments and win a few. You will get moved up to majors and won't have a choice. Until then, give your boys a chance to compete a little and have some fun. Just my opinion.
            In the two AAA tournaments we have played, we were beaten in the Semi's and came in 2nd place. They were the fun ones, lol.

Both teams that beat us are now Majors teams.

I agree with you, I would rather move up to Majors rather than playing in so many Majors tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
              i saw the texas raiders, formally texas bombers, 12u team a few weeks ago, #2 ranked team in the country. they have 3-4 kids that are over 200lbs easily. they were playing on a 300ft fence and one of them hit one into the road past left field fence. their 11u team has a couple kids that are probably 150lbs or better. our biggest 11u kid MIGHT be 105-110lbs, and he is super tall, lol.
              This is truth - The 11U squad has some kids that are definitely over 150, and hit multiple HRs over the 270 fence in every game that I saw.

I had heard the 12U squad is even better.

Comment

This is truth - The 11U squad has some kids that are definitely over 150, and hit multiple HRs over the 270 fence in every game that I saw.

I had heard the 12U squad is even better.
                the kids are big, and they are good, no doubt, he is also known for his use of the "grade exception rule" and using kids that are actually a year older but are allowed to play down due to their grade.

its also funny that they hit multiple HR's every tournament and just last summer the coach was called out by the owner of gorilla bats (https://gorillabaseballbats.com/) on facebook for not paying for a shaved bat he bought to take to the USA baseball tournament. the claim was that the bat was only going to be used for the homerun derby...

no lie though, their 11u shortstop, a kid named shane parker, has been the best player in that age group since we started playing, the kid is a stud.

Comment

the kids are big, and they are good, no doubt, he is also known for his use of the "grade exception rule" and using kids that are actually a year older but are allowed to play down due to their grade.

its also funny that they hit multiple HR's every tournament and just last summer the coach was called out by the owner of gorilla bats (https://gorillabaseballbats.com/) on facebook for not paying for a shaved bat he bought to take to the USA baseball tournament. the claim was that the bat was only going to be used for the homerun derby...

no lie though, their 11u shortstop, a kid named shane parker, has been the best player in that age group since we started playing, the kid is a stud.
                  Oh, I remember that whole ordeal - have you heard the new controversy?

That's the thing with his teams. They are all sitting on that fair line, but they have some kids that are legitimately great, and awesome to watch.

Comment

Oh, I remember that whole ordeal - have you heard the new controversy?

not sure, the assaulting a kid from southlake deal?

Comment

We are 12u AAA and got our butts stomped by the Marucci Elite Texas-Nava 11u majors last weekend. This is our first year in AAA but they were by far the most impressive team we have played. Very good.

Comment

In the two AAA tournaments we have played, we were beaten in the Semi's and came in 2nd place. They were the fun ones, lol.

Both teams that beat us are now Majors teams.

I agree with you, I would rather move up to Majors rather than playing in so many Majors tournaments.
                        How bad are you guys getting beat by the majors teams? That level of intensity coupled with a beat down can get to a kid pretty quick!
                        Last edited by cwill; 04-09-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                          How bad are you guys getting beat by the majors teams? That level of intensity coupled with a beat down can get to a kid pretty quick!
                          9-1
                          5-0
                          7-1
                          10-4
                          9-3

Have definitely showed improvement, but the NIT is where we will be this weekend. It will more than likely, not be pretty. Kid's spirits seem to be in good shape! There's just not a lot of help in getting some going offensively, because of the continued competition level.

not sure, the assaulting a kid from southlake deal?
                          That's the one ...

Originally posted by 45 ACP View Post
                          We are 12u AAA and got our butts stomped by the Marucci Elite Texas-Nava 11u majors last weekend. This is our first year in AAA but they were by far the most impressive team we have played. Very good.
                          That's a really good looking team from what I saw at the DFW NIT!

Comment

It’s amazing to me to see how polished these kids are these days at such younger ages. I’m old school (45 yrs old) and I only played true summer league ball through local ymca & varsity HS ball. Now days some of these teams are playing nearly year around & tournaments most weekends than not. To me that much playing time really improves their level of play. I watched local HS game last night (Whitehouse vs Hallsville) & word of mouth the Hallsville team developed up through select ball & are all solid players. Very disciplined hitters at the plate. Didn’t swing at anything out of the strike zone and majority drove the ball hard. Most of these kids are small frame built guys too that can really hit the ball hard. It was a good game to watch

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                              It’s amazing to me to see how polished these kids are these days at such younger ages. I’m old school (45 yrs old) and I only played true summer league ball through local ymca & varsity HS ball. Now days some of these teams are playing nearly year around & tournaments most weekends than not.
                              Also increase risk and likelihood of Tommy John and Rotator Cuff tears, and why we are seeing more and more.

Pitching is not a natural motion, and kids need time off.

Comment

I saw a print out laying around in the gym at one of our middle schools this morning, it had bench press and squat totals on it for the 8th grade boys. The top kid is a running back that benched 300 and squatted 320, the 3rd one is the QB that benched 225 and squatted 275, both of them are on the 4x400 relay team that won district. The QB is the fastest kid in the school.

Those were varsity numbers when I was in school.

Comment

Working...
                                X