No announcement yet.

Crazy story about a neck shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used to love the bang flop of a neck shot.

Started doing the high shoulder shots and it's even more awesome with a lesser margin for error.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
      I really like the neck shots with my rifle. JMO, those that do not are those that either can't due to inaccuracy, or they have not really tried it. There is always going to be that guy who will want to create a lengthy argument, BUT in the end, the neck works 90% of the time. I shoot a .270 and my son (10 now) shoots my rifle. He also shoots the neck.
      Good shooting and congrats on the table fare.
      I have known deer to get up after that shot, but it is incredibly rare.

That’s a stupid statement. I absolutely 100% know I could put it in the neck. However I choose not to because they can’t run without air or blood and a lung/heart shot takes both of those away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Neck shot, like the Texas heart shot, is a LAST resort for me.

Comment

I shot a doe this weekend in the neck with an AR15 I’ve never shot an animal with. I shoot a little heavier 69 grain bullet but she dropped like a sack of potatoes. I only shoot the heart with a bow. I’m no expert marksman but I was trained to shoot in the neck as a kid & it’s a lethal shot if done right. Just do what you’re comfortable with and make an ethical kill.

Comment

What/where is a "high shoulder" shot. Congrats to the OP, way to stay in task and finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
              What/where is a "high shoulder" shot. Congrats to the OP, way to stay in task and finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Exactly like it sounds. High shoulder. They can’t run if both front shoulders are destroyed. I shoot all of mine like this. Works wonders on big animals. 300+lb mule deer usually don’t make it far or drop right there. White tails get spun around like they were hit by a truck. Or thrown on the ground

I wish I had video of some of the impacts

Comment

My most recent neck/head shots this season....Killed 40 minutes apart
                I couldn't tell ya when I last shot a deer in the shoulder with my rifle.
                Not one of my deer have got up and ran when I shot them in the neck. That's just me.
                I am confident enough in myself to shoot there.
                Attached Files

Comment

I remember when I was a kid my dad shot a doe in the neck and we went down and took pictures with her! Went and got the 4 wheeler to load her up and she was gone! A dog found her still alive and killed her but that was wild there for a minute. Had pictures of a deer we didn't kill!

Comment

The carotid and vertebral arteries are tight against the spinal column...if u dont hit spine u likely wont hit the arteries and they will slowly bleed out from venous trauma

Comment

Comment

Soooooo.. what’s the biggest animal all of the neck shooters have killed with a shot to the neck?

Comment

Well man I can say that I've busted 2 bucks who were sticking their necks out of the woods and its a killin shot no doubt. If someone wants to talk ethical, a broken spine stops all pain instantly. Shoot a deer in the shoulder and he suffers for a few mins more often than not.

Comment

Originally posted by drogers6771 View Post
                            Well man I can say that I've busted 2 bucks who were sticking their necks out of the woods and its a killin shot no doubt. If someone wants to talk ethical, a broken spine stops all pain instantly. Shoot a deer in the shoulder and he suffers for a few mins more often than not.
                            But what if you miss by 2 inches and just shoot through muscle in the neck?

Comment

Hydrostatic shock is what causes more damage when shooting a supersonic projectile. Don’t shoot them in neck with bow- Gotta hit artery to make them bleed or hit spine to disrupt central nervous system.

Supersonic projectile (rifle) will have a wound cone that will he just about as big as an entire neck of a whitetail deer.

Comment

i shoot shoulder. neck meat is far superior to shoulder meat.

Comment

Working...
                                X