I got a ticket rant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
    And this is the mindset as to why government has gotten where it is now because people give in too much. Fight for your rights. If you know you’re in the right fight for it. It may cost more but for the principal of it I’d fight it just to embarrass the trooper that wrote the ticket in the first place. Anyone with any common sense in a jury would agree to the circumstances and you prolly won’t have to pay the court a thing. It’s not the fact you’re showing someone up. It’s the fact that they need to make things right and that there is still citizens out there that ain’t gonna take that kinda bs. They’re few and far between nowadays
    Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
    Nonsense. You're not going to change a thing and you're going to waste your own time and money accomplishing nothing. You're absolutely "going to take that bs" and you're probably going to take it a lot more than you would have originally.

Again, pick your battles.
    If every person with a legit complaint fought for their rights things would change. Sure one guy fighting won't change anything.

Do you vote?

Comment

Listen to Pullersboy. He knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Can anybody site the law allowing them to charge a dismissal fee? I’ve never heard of this before.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          If every person with a legit complaint fought for their rights things would change. Sure one guy fighting won't change anything.

Do you vote?
          That’s what I’m getting at. If people would come together and defend their rights things would change. It’s not all about the money it’s about the rights. I voted straight republican. Because Democrats want to destroy this country

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            Can anybody site the law allowing them to charge a dismissal fee? I’ve never heard of this before.
            I have heard of it but don’t feel like looking up the law. I know that our city court is allowed dismissal fees in addition to court cost in some situations.

From what our traffic clerks have told me, the dismissal if he is not for being found not guilty. It is for when you were technically guilty but the judge is allowing you to get the ticket dismissed because you have come into compliance. For example your inspection sticker has been out for a couple of weeks. You get your vehicle inspected and bring a receipt and the judge might allow you to dismiss The citation because the problem is now fixed. You don’t pay the full $200 fine and it does not go on your record but you have to pay a clerical feet. The dismissal in that case is basically allowing you to get a warning for an actual crime if you correct the problem.

Another example is driver’s education for dismissing a speeding ticket. The court is allowed to take a fee for allowing you to take the class. Again, you are pleaing guilty though.

However in this case…

In this case they do not appear to be dismissing anything. According to the OP he is completely innocent. They are dismissing the charge for a crime that didn’t happen but appear to be using that as a means of revenue. Part of the problem is that the court clerks are just money takers. It is not their fault. I believe their options are to dismiss the citation with the fee if you could shows you’re in compliance, take your money on a guilty plea or tell you that you have the right to a trial.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Do you vote?

Try to remember we’re talking about $20 here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m torn, part of me wants to fight it and part of me says pay the $22 and move on. If I go that route I’m taking the extra time to go get a cashier’s check, there’s no way I’m giving them a penny more and especially not the $5.95 processing fee for a credit card because they don’t take cash or personal checks!

Just to make sure we’re all on the same page... the $22 is a dismissal fee to dismiss the ticket I was written. I’m told it’s a state fee and they can’t waive it. The clerk and the judge that reviewed my case agree that it should be dismissed. If I was at fault and corrected the issue and was granted dismissal I would have no problem paying the fee. In this case I did nothing wrong, there was no violation and the ticket shouldn’t have been written.

If I go as far as going to court over it I’m sure it will still be dismissed. Will I still have to pay the “dismissal fee”? Will there also be court costs? If so I’ve gained absolutely nothing personally and maybe cost myself more money and definitely more time.

Comment

Working...
                X