This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
    I have a legitimate question. No I am not just trying to be an ***. I am an Aggie fan. I graduated from there. I remember back when I was in school my father-in-law would make a point of always having either a longhorn shirt or a longhorn cap on everytime I was around him. Now he never went to school there. Hell he never even sniffed college. He has never even set foot on the campus in Austin. He just thought he was supposed to be longhorn fan. Now I am not throwing rocks at him. He is free to be a fan of whatever he wants to be a fan of. My question for those of you that seem to live in this thread........how many graduated or even went to school at the university that y'all defend so strongly? In all seriousness I am interested in the answer if you will share it.

Thanks.

-john

2 years at Texas here....Finished up at North Texas on the 6 year college plan majoring in hunting and fishing and minor in accounting/finance. Was a Longhorn fan from my first game in 1976 watching the Tyler Rose run all over Arkansas. My Dad and his buddy liked to go to the games from Corpus and he'd drag me along. Most of the games I saw back then had Johnny Ham, Jam and Lam Jones in the late 70s since Earl graduated in 77. Hell Earl even had me a Houston Earler/Oiler Love Ya Blue fan for a while. I was a Texas fan long before I could attend University and much of these tickturds in here were even born. And if they were born, they were still ****ting their diapers...so when the Aggies mention graduation or T-shirts it makes me laugh....

I went to HS at Smithson Valley between Bulverde and New Braunfels so we were even closer to Memorial Stadium when I was older. We talked the same chatter with football buddies and classmates then....Aggies, Bears, Red Raiders and Longhorns and of course even the occasional Sooner. My best friend at the time parents grew up near Waco, so they were all Baylor fans. I went to all four of those games in HS with a large group of my HS buddies and parents at Floyd Casey and Memorial Stadiums. Hell Billy BoB probably served me a coke.. Plus add in many Texas games with my Dad and more Baylor game with the Davises. It's football in Texas..its what we did. Pro games were too far away and we played on Friday nights so going to other HS games was not in the cards. We did try to make the San Antonio Gunslingers a thing doing our part going to a few but that petered out quick. In addition to that we attended several Longhorn baseball games in HS when Gus was still the coach. My Dad on some through those years and then some just my HS baseball teammates after we could drive. We could stack a lot of folks in the bed of my buddy's truck with a camper shell on it to save on gas. So yeah....my fandom goes way back.....with a few years of attendance as well
    Last edited by Smart; 02-11-2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Any room left under that rock, Chad C? . . Geez . .

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
        Any room left under that rock, Chad C? . . Geez . .

Please Chad....make some room for him and then come back out yourself..

Comment

I have a legitimate question. No I am not just trying to be an ***. I am an Aggie fan. I graduated from there. I remember back when I was in school my father-in-law would make a point of always having either a longhorn shirt or a longhorn cap on everytime I was around him. Now he never went to school there. Hell he never even sniffed college. He has never even set foot on the campus in Austin. He just thought he was supposed to be longhorn fan. Now I am not throwing rocks at him. He is free to be a fan of whatever he wants to be a fan of. My question for those of you that seem to live in this thread........how many graduated or even went to school at the university that y'all defend so strongly? In all seriousness I am interested in the answer if you will share it.

Thanks.

-john

Texas EX 2003

Comment

To the folks that answered I would like to say thanks. Like I said I was not throwing rocks at anyone I was sincerely interested in the answers.

-john

Comment

O/U on the # of self-imposed bans for Chad this week?

Comment

To the folks that answered I would like to say thanks. Like I said I was not throwing rocks at anyone I was sincerely interested in the answers.

-john
                I grew up a college football fan, mostly watching and rooting for Texas amongst others. I did not attend TCU. My wife graduated from TCU and we were season ticket holders for many years until last season(kids keep us on the go and it's just hard to get to games these days). It was something we could do together and spend family time.

Comment

Not a big poster, but a huge college football fan. Never went to Texas, but grew up a Texas fan and went to the Cotton Bowl January 1 1970 and watched Texas beat ND. Texas fan for Life ever since. Got a whole closet full of T shirts and hats.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                    Not a big poster, but a huge college football fan. Never went to Texas, but grew up a Texas fan and went to the Cotton Bowl January 1 1970 and watched Texas beat ND. Texas fan for Life ever since. Got a whole closet full of T shirts and hats.
                    I KNEW IT!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gekko man View Post
                      Do I have your approval to support the university?
                      Ain’t no need to be ugly....he said he was just curious. John is a good Aggie!!

Comment

My mother was a huge football fan. I was taught early in life these two rules.
                        #1. Always root for the Dallas Cowboys, Texas Longhorns, and Comfort Bobcats
                        #2. Never root for the Washington Redskins, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, or the Blanco Panthers.

I attended and graduated from SMU bc UT extended and pulled their offer one week before national signing date in February of 1981. Worked out just fine. I am a Longhorn fan because it is ingrained in me and honestly my Ponies struggle. My FIL and wife both graduated from UT. Have tons of friends who went to both schools. One of my best friends coaches for A&M so I have leaned a little more maroon this year��. Don’t get the whole obsession that some have with it though.

Comment

Went to school at Texas for three years but never graduated. I grew up a Texas fan in Aggie country in the 80's when Texas wasn't very good. Went to my first game when I was six years old or so.

I always find people's infatuation with "t-shirt" fans interesting. I ran across a school picture from college sweatshirt day from when I was in elementary school. Only 2 out of 40 or so were wearing burnt orange. That number would change by high school as 8-10 out of those 40 ended up at Texas for school. Anyway, the point of the story is that it is very cyclical.

Comment

Here are Bill Connelly's 2019 S&P+ projections:

TLDR version: Texas is at #35, A&M is at #13, OU is at #5, LSU is at #4, and TCU is at #34.
                            Last edited by El General; 02-11-2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

-john
                              I'm a college football fan. I love football in the state of Texas and pull for all Texas teams but I pull for the Longhorns first. I guess because I grew up and live near the Oklahoma line and am surrounded by **** talking Sooners. RRR is my favorite game of the year.
                              Now my question. Why are so many Aggies hung up on people being "t shirt" fans? I have a sooner friend that tried that with me also. I never understood that mindset.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Been a horns fan since I learned what college sports were, always wanted to play baseball for the Horns. Neither my baseball ability, nor my grades were adequate. My sister has a degree or two from Texas, she was on the deans list there.

I would never even consider living in Austin though...or CS for that matter. I guess if my son is ever asked to play ball at Texas, that would be awesome, otherwise I wouldn't consider him going either.

It's just a sports program to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X