This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
    He was joking(not really), but Gov. Abbott brought up the UT vs A&M game during the State of the State address yesterday.

I'll believe it when I see it, but put me in the "heck yea" camp.
    I respect your opinion… But for me, we don’t need Texas or that game. We left Texas football in 2012 and we have become the most profitable program in college football. I like our schedule just the way it is. Besides, we’re not their rival anyway…remember?

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
      I respect your opinion… But for me, we don’t need Texas or that game. We left Texas football in 2012 and we have become the most profitable program in college football.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaaha

Comment

I simply hope the kid recovers and can live out a healthy life with a chance to get a degree from Texas.

Brown’ teammates today!

See ya!

Comment

The best of the Texas recruiting writers posted his top 100 today and yesterday. Here is the top 25.

25. LB Steven Parker, South Oak Cliff (Dallas) - KANSAS: Parker is a tough, coachable kid with a frame nowhere near its landing spot. He's naturally strong with great length and bend. He'll be put in a position to succeed early in his career and we'll see substantial differences from his freshman to junior year, developmentally speaking. The weight room will be kind to him.

24. DB Marcus Banks, Dekaney (Spring) - ALABAMA: Banks has great hips and man coverage skills. He needs to become more physical but that will come with strength and culture.

23. DB Lewis Cine, Trinity Christian School (Cedar Hill) - GEORGIA: He and Williams are similar in that both played against poor competition. They differ greatly in that Cine is much more raw while Williams will be ready to play as a freshman. I think Cine has the athletic attributes to be a good one, including fluidity in coverage, but he'll have a ways to go from a technical standpoint.

22. RB Isaiah Spiller, Klein Collins (Spring) - TEXAS A&M: Similar to Keaontay Ingram in running style, he's just not quite as quick. Spiller also has nice hands and should be used out of the backfield. Young for his grade so we could see a big jump in physical maturity in the next year.

21. WR Elijah Higgins, Bowie (Austin) - STANFORD: Higgins has fantastic quickness and fluidity at his size but needs to stay healthy. His value will be moving around, inside and out, to take advantage of match-ups. His big frame is going to fill out nicely but he won't want to get too much bigger.

20. LB David Gbenda, Cinco Ranch (Katy) - TEXAS: The rare inside linebacker who can run sideline to sideline, Gbenda of course is good downhill too. He seems to diagnose quickly and must be accounted for as a blitzer. My buddy who coaches in that district said he was the best defensive player they faced. There's quite a bit of talent in that district.

19. DB Brian Williams, Bishop Dunne (Dallas) - TEXAS A&M: Dunne guys always use their eyes well in coverage, and it also helps they're given lollipops thanks to the poor level of competition, but that written, Williams is good at seeing routes develop and reading the quarterback. I have him lower than some just because I don't think he has quite the athletic upside.

18. WR Trejan Bridges, Hebron (Carrolton) - OKLAHOMA: He's a good athlete, especially in the air, but what makes him special are his hands and ball skills. He's the best in the state in that regard.

17. DL T'Vondre Sweat, Huntsville (Huntsville) - TEXAS: Played defensive end in high school where we are able to gauge a lot of "smaller man" traits, but at minimum he'll be a player moved up and down the line like Leal. He most likely plays around 300 pounds. Great motor, play-strength, and good mobility. Just a little tightness and twitch separates him and Leal.

16. WR Dylan Wright, West Mesquite (Mesquite) - TEXAS A&M: Perhaps the most upside of any receiver in the class, his floor is just considerably lower than Wease's. Can stretch the field vertically with speed or dominate with size. Needs to more consistent but all the ability is there.

15. OL Branson Bragg, Crandall (Crandall) - STANFORD: Excellent get for Stanford as Bragg nearly has tackle athleticism, great size for the interior, and the brains for the mentally taxing position of center.

14. DB Jalen Catalon, Legacy (Mansfield) - ARKANSAS: Catalon missed nearly the entire season as well. Where guys like Richardson and Owens are freaks with their size and athleticism, Catalon looks more unassuming, but don't be fooled. He sees the game as well you can in the back end, and has good quickness to turn what he sees into a turnover or big hit.

13. DB Jamal Morris, Fort Bend Bush (Richmond) - OKLAHOMA: Morris is just what the doctor ordered for Oklahoma. He can run, turn a team over, comes downhill aggressively, and is a good striker. He's a really good all-around safety.

12. DB Demani Richardson, Waxahachie (Waxahachie) - TEXAS A&M: Much of Richardson's senior year was lost due to injury otherwise he'd probably be higher. Richardson is an even bigger version of Young meaning linebacker may be on the table. He would be a sensational athlete for the position but that would bring even more projection. Richardson has tons of positive traits on display on offense that will transfer to defense.

11. DB Erick Young, Fort Bend Bush (Richmond) - TEXAS A&M: I have him as a safety because of his size. At already 208 pounds and genetics that are going to take kindly to S&C it's hard for me to see him sticking at corner. Aggies not even considering the possibility of safety are delusional. Assuming he makes that switch, the coverage traits that would go with him could make him exceptional in coverage. He's a naturally physical player.

10. DB Tyler Owens, Plano East (Plano) - TEXAS: Freak athlete with freak length. Owens' junior tape was average but his senior year displayed a much more confident and assertive player putting his extremely rare traits together. A 6-foot-2, 195 pound safety running a 10.34 100? This year he played like it.

9. QB Roschon Johnson, Groves (Port-Neches) - TEXAS: His only question is arm strength and if that's your only question you should have plenty to compensate for it. He's a perfect fit for Tom Herman's offense and program.

8. CB Jeffrey Carter, Legacy (Mansfield) - ALABAMA: With his raw athleticism and 40" vertical, Carter reminds me of former Longhorn Curtis Brown. He has as loose of hips as you'll find and exceptional make-up speed and ball skills. If he hammers down technique he could be a first rounder.

7. TE Baylor Cupp, Brock (Brock) - TEXAS A&M: This is probably the best fit in the class. Everything Jace Sternberger did in his fine junior season can be duplicated and then some by Cupp in the coming years. On top of it, A&M was his dream school. He has a very big frame and good hands, but it's his quickness at 6-foot-6 that makes him special.

6. OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe) - TEXAS: I struggle with who has more upside between Johnson and Green. To me, Johnson is a little more athletic making it easier to see him at tackle in college and beyond, but guard might be his home too. He showed a nastier streak this season. He's good in space or on the pull and should be a good drive blocker. He should have the ability to create creases with quickness and power.

5. WR Garrett Wilson, Lake Travis (Lake Travis) - OHIO STATE: Wilson is typified by short area explosiveness, whether moving directionally or elevating, and ball skills. Those ball skills and leaping ability allow him to play much bigger than his 6-foot height. The main question with him is can he be more dynamic after the catch?

4. OL Kenyon Green, Atascocita (Humble) - TEXAS A&M: I've always called him a guard because when you evaluate you first consider ceiling (and body type). That doesn't mean he can't play tackle, especially given A&M's needs. He does bend well, has nice feet, and competes. I saw his team down by 30 his junior year and he was going as hard late in the game as in the beginning. Good sign. I bet he's a good tackle at A&M and good guard in the NFL.

3. ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero (Cuero) - TEXAS: In my years doing this I can't recall a player like Whittington. He could credibly be considered a four-star at running back, wide receiver, safety, and even linebacker if he had any interest in that position. He doesn't, but that tells you what direction his body is headed (220 pounds). He combines exceptional quickness with fluidity not typically found in such a densely muscled prospect. Like Wease, he's a savvy receiver with great, attacking ball skills. He's a bit of an unknown as a running back, but in a varied role it's easy to see him racking up yardage.

2. WR Theo Wease, Allen (Allen) - OKLAHOMA: Theo Wease is as natural a receiver as you'll find with the short area quickness to get open and good enough speed to be a deep threat. He can beat you in just about any way imaginable, including with his head. Has possession receiver hands. Makes the acrobatic catch. He reminds me of a combination of OU receivers Charleston Rambo (savvy, great hands) and CeeDee Lamb (ability to dominate). Wease can align at any receiver position, but they'll like him on the outside.

1. DE DeMarvin Leal, Judson (Converse) - TEXAS A&M: He's the most uncommon player in the state, a rare find with his blend of size, mobility, and twitch. He's a great fit for the Aggie defense as he profiles similarly to Justin Madubuike. Getting a pass rush from an interior position isn't easy to do, but Leal can beat blockers with quickness, power, and sometimes motor.

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
            I respect your opinion… But for me, we don’t need Texas or that game. We left Texas football in 2012 and we have become the most profitable program in college football. I like our schedule just the way it is. Besides, we’re not their rival anyway…remember?
            And Texas doesn't "need" A&M or that game either, that goes both ways. If it ever happens I think both programs would benefit from the exposure of a big-time state rivalry game. No doubt it would be logistically challenging for both sides at this point.

Comment

Interesting article about schools over offering kids and trap dooring.

The average Power 5 program hands out roughly 200 more scholarship offers than it can follow through on, and the numbers game has real-life consequences.

Comment

duplicate

Comment

Texas current list of preferred walk ons.

LB Jett Bush, Houston Strake Jesuit

DB Doak Wilson, Austin Westlake

DB Myles Mass, Cypress Cy-Springs

TE Nathan Hatter, Leander Tom Glenn

WR Parker Alford, Dripping Springs

DL Patrick Bayouth, Bellaire Episcopal

QB Sam Saxton, Austin St. Michael’s

LB Jake Ehlinger, Austin Westlake

OL Chad Wolf, Austin Lake Travis

DB Christian Tschauner II, Odessa Permian

TE Austin Hill, Houston The Village School

Most of these guys will never see the field, and the ones that do are unlikely to get more than a few snaps as a special teamer when they are seniors. The names read more like a lacrosse team but, they all have scholarship offers from Ivies, service academies, in state FCS schools and even a few FBS schools.

I have been critical of Herman in some areas (numbers at OL and RB, arrogance in recruiting, getting blindsided by kids committing elsewhere, not maximizing scheme on offense, etc), but in other areas he has been outstanding (using social media, support staff utilization, building culture, big game game planning and attitude) and this is one of them.

These kids will be filling out scout teams. They will provide depth in areas when attrition and injuries unexpectedly deplete a position. They are invariably fantastic representatives of the school and team. They will host visits when kids from their high schools or areas are being recruited.

Anyway, I have long thought that prioritizing the walk on program is a simple and easy way to strengthen the bottom of the roster and I am glad that Texas is prioritizing it.
                  Last edited by El General; 02-06-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

All of the Frogs are in. I think there are 2 guys that have a little work to do in the classroom but nothing major. They should prolly finish about where they usually do in the rankings.

Briles to Southern Miss? Wow.

Comment

LSU is done, will probably end up with a top 5 class but did nothing to improve their defensive line issues. Won't ever be able to hang with or beat Bama when we take one DT and they take 6-8 of the best ones in the country.

Comment

Shep is in, sticks with UT commitment.
                        Last edited by Birddog66; 02-06-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Javonne Shepherd is a Longhorn!

Let the fun begin!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                              FSU QB Deondre Francois was kicked off the team for domestic violence.

Will anyone give him another chance? If so, how does that work? Does he have to enter the portal or sit out a year? Or because he was kicked off the team can he go play immediately?

Personally I don't think he should have another chance. He had an awesome opportunity but he chose to be a POS. Give him the life he chose.
                              I saw some reports on twitter saying that it was an edited video and that it was her hitting him and throwing stuff, and also saw that she posted apologizing saying he never hit her or anything like that and that she wanted to get his attention so she posted the video..

What’s true I have no idea but it might not be what it initially seemed

Comment

Update on Brown

Herman says Brown still will undergo tests to determine the ailment. Family does want everyone to know he is getting better every day. Moving extremities, alert, took the ventilator out and is breathing on his own. #HookEm

Herman also thanked the NCAA and compliance for allowing a GoFundMe page.
                                Last edited by Chad C; 02-06-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X