This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
    Yep, The commit plus several games of new tape and testing scores. Then he went off this season and has received a 5th star from 247. He is highly rated with two services. Mythical creature.

This happens when a kid isn't on the radar.
    His list of offers is extremely weak. Maybe a diamond in the rough.

Comment

In 2017 he had 5 star measurables (6'2 200 lbs, 10.34 100, 4.37 40, 11'2" SBJ) and 3 star tape. He wasn't a very good football player. In 2018 his tape matched the measurables. The recruiting writers that watched the All Star game practices raved about his physicality and athleticism.

I don't know if the kid really should be a 5 star as that is always a bit arbitrary, but he is a great prospect get especially after the class that Texas took last year at DB.
      Last edited by El General; 01-22-2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
        That is why bragging about a recruiting class ranking in March is silly. Kids have summer camps, a full season season, and then the all-star game circuit to be evaluated. I think Mack missed on more kids by filling up in February / March instead of waiting until at least the Fall. It is a fine line of how you fill up the class as you have to get on these guys earlier and earlier every year.

Some guys get overrated early, some guys get overlooked too. I know the Texas staff has been high on Owens since jump no matter what the services had him at.
        Yep. On the flip side, Tyler Johnson lost his fifth star since he didn't attend camps and Whittington lost his due to downtime from being injured. When in actuality they're both obviously worth their former ranking.

Pretty happy to hear the staff is planning on using Whittington at running back!

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
          In 2017 he had 5 star measurables and 3 star tape. He wasn't a very good football player. In 2018 his tape matched the measurables.
          Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
            His list of offers is extremely weak. Maybe a diamond in the rough.
            Unicorn

Comment

Yep. On the flip side, Tyler Johnson lost his fifth star since he didn't attend camps and Whittington lost his due to downtime from being injured. When in actuality they're both obviously worth their former ranking.

Pretty happy to hear the staff is planning on using Whittington at running back!
              Johnson isn't a 5 star for the same reason Kenyon Green isn't. He is probably going to be a guard.

Comment

What am I missing here? Texas still shows no 5 stars. The Aggie kid is #15.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                  What am I missing here? Texas still shows no 5 stars. The Aggie kid is #15.

You are looking at the composite and not 247's own rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                    Johnson isn't a 5 star for the same reason Kenyon Green isn't. He is probably going to be a guard.
                    I just hope he plays meaningful snaps! The line is tough to project.

Comment

I just hope he plays meaningful snaps! The line is tough to project.
                      He will. That kid is a maximizer. They are going to try to get him ready to play this year in an emergency, but he will likely have to wait until Okafor and/or Kerstetter graduates for a spot at guard as I think Angialu will hold down the other side.

Comment

A&M’s 5*

Kenyon green - ESPN, Rivals and 247 composite

DeMarvin Leal - 247, Rivals and 247 composite

Baylor Cupp - 247

Erick young - Rivals

I stick to the composite but Cupp and young are studs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The team rankings on 247 goes by the composite. I will continue to use that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                            The team rankings on 247 goes by the composite. I will continue to use that one.

I like to go by the composite, as well. However, I think kids like Cupp and Leal (and Calzada to some extent) that don't attend camps tend to fly under the radar. According to 247, Leal got a lot of attention after the Army All American game in SA:

Leal has been a dominant force in the San Antonio area over the past three seasons but had never attended a national camp or combine. However, once he participated in the All-American Bowl, the rest of the country saw what A&M fans already knew. Leal was absolutely dominant all week and was named the overall top performer on two of the three days of practice. He was in the top three on the other day.
                            Simlarly on Cupp:

Like Leal, he (Cupp) too had never participated in the camp circuit, so not many people have had a chance to see him in person.
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Horn gotta Horn

Comment

Originally posted by Brock Middlebrook View Post
                                Horn gotta Horn

Oh yes.....And Shelly/Brock never thinks nor cares about the Horns or their fans either..

Comment

Working...
                                X