No announcement yet.

Bigger Deer and Feeder Pen Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bigger the better. We have shot several mature deer inside feed pens, but the ones without the pens are always more productive. WT deer are pretty dump when the are little and will go into a pen fairly easily. When they mature the get super cautious and shy away from the pens. They do return late in the year after the rut when they are seeking an easy food source. Moving the old feeders will not make any difference. If you can make the pens bigger, that will make some difference. Deer don't like to be crowded. If you can make the pens out of net wire it will be much cheaper. Make them square and 50X50 if possible.

Comment

Over the years I have discovered that there are bucks that just do not go to feeders of any kind ever.. I'm sure there are does that are this way too but identifying them is not really possible..

Comment

Put water stations in the pens and they will go in.

Comment

I would probably leave my big pens up - but try spinning corn around the pens, and in your shooting lanes before each hunt. Deer quickly learn the sound of the tailgate feeder, and cruising bucks are likely to come check out your area if they see a bunch of other deer scattered around feeding (not in your feed pen)

Comment

Working...
          X