Last minute crunch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last minute crunch.

Who all else in here lives and dies by the Bow?? I dont gun hunt and havent in the last 24 years. If I cant kill a buck with a bow I'll go without. It's down to the wire again for me. I passed a few dink bucks and handful of does this season at the Vine and here I sit now empty handed. I havent really hunted my urban spots this season and now I'm almost out of time. I slept in today again and feel like I may not get it done this season once again. Last year I was fortunate enough to take a great buck on the last morning of the season and am wondering now if I can repeat?? I guess I better get in to the blind for the next few days and at least make an attempt. I'm 6 years in a Row on filling buck tags and wanna keep it going so I better quit being lazy at this point. Good luck to all you last minute warriors. It's not over til.the fat lady sings. Or your buddy's start talking trash and get you moving. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ArcheryAssassin; 01-02-2019, 12:14 PM.

I do not put my bow away when rifle season opens up. I prefer to continue using my bow and don't feel pressured to bring out the boom stick. I only use my gun if I want to hunt in a blind with my kids (who only rifle hunt) or if I let someone else use my bow blind and I have to use a rifle stand.
    It just feels like 'kissing your sister' when you kill with a rifle (too easy and not much pleasure).

Comment

For years I hunted bow only. I recently built a gun and do a few gun hunts every season for the last 3 years. I do understand your thinking, but sometimes its nice to pull out a lead chunker.

Comment

I do not live/die by the bow whatsoever. I do pick up the bow first, but I still enjoy a good rifle hunt as well. Something about being able to see a lot more and relax a bit is nice at times. Plus I hunt first and foremost to feed my family. If I can't get it done with the bow I have no shame in breaking out the gun. I can appreciate your drive to stick with the bow, but I wouldn't starve just to say i'm proud I didn't pick up the gun this year.

Comment

still gripping tight to the bow here.

Comment

I have been using just my bow on deer for the last couple of seasons. I still sit with my young kids and let them shoot deer with a rifle, but when it's my turn it is with a bow. I have had my share of heartbreak doing it this way, but I get almost as much enjoyment watching from a bow blind and getting close as I do to actually closing the deal. When everything comes together and I'm able to close the deal on a mature target buck, well then, it's just that much sweeter. It seems on my place that the big bucks just get smarter as they get older, making it more fun and challenging to let them get 5.5. By reducing the number of deer we take with a rifle, our herd just gets a little older and a little better every year.

Comment

I do not. I have in years past but mix it up these days. I normally don't put up my bow at the end of October but did this year as sightings and opportunities have been slim.

I'm a meat on the table first priority, horns second method third kind of guy.

I will say that my last 3 trophies have come by stick and string.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive done close to 50/50 this year also cause of a new built rifle. Killed a doe with it but passed on a few legal bucks. Im proud to say my 15 yr old has stayed with archery tackle ALL year. He hasn't picked up a rifle yet and had several encounters.

We've only got one deer in the freezer so I'll be taking it to the end with muzzle loaders

Comment

Bow only for me. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
                    I have been using just my bow on deer for the last couple of seasons. I still sit with my young kids and let them shoot deer with a rifle, but when it's my turn it is with a bow. I have had my share of heartbreak doing it this way, but I get almost as much enjoyment watching from a bow blind and getting close as I do to actually closing the deal. When everything comes together and I'm able to close the deal on a mature target buck, well then, it's just that much sweeter. It seems on my place that the big bucks just get smarter as they get older, making it more fun and challenging to let them get 5.5. By reducing the number of deer we take with a rifle, our herd just gets a little older and a little better every year.
                    That's what it all about. [emoji173][emoji173][emoji173]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll bow hunt to get out earlier, but I love shooting animals with my guns and always will.

I agree that it's easier. That's a-okay with me, amigos.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
                        Bow only for me. Period.
                        Yes maam. I agree.

Comment

<<<——— I’ll let my screen name answer your question.

Comment

Bow only in Louisiana. I pull out the boomstick when I hunt in Arkansas though

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
                              Bow only for me. Period.
                              There are just things you can’t do with a bow. I’d love to do all bow but I can’t afford to pay for 3 trips to kill one sheep (for example). Sometimes my bow stays at home.

Comment

Working...
                              X