2019 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Is that Mac n cheese or you eatin' your bait?
    There’s not enough cheese to make a Super Spook tasty...

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
      Found this old magazine at the car wash near 99/1093, some of you youngsters probably never even heard of this magazine. 4Q1983 issue.

Good memories.

I remember that magazine well. I bought them from Parsuitt's in Matagorda all the time as a kid and would read them and re-read them over and over. There were lots of good articles in them. I remember reading one about fishing broken backs with Doug Bird in Baffin and I went out and bought my first broken back redfin because of it. And I caught fish on it.

Now, how many of you had a styrofoam pith helmet like that? I had them. I think I went through one every year or two because they broke pretty easy. That was back before we had wading belts with tackle boxes, wade boxes, heck it was even before we had fishing clothes. My standard fishing gear was cutoff shorts, a t-shirt, my foam helmet lined with what few lures I owned and a pair of Chuck Taylors. Fishing with a fiberglass 7' Fenwick rod that had an aluminum trigger reel seat and a 5000C reel with brown 12# Royal Bonyll line. My lure selection consisted of a handful of mirrolures, a few Johnson Sprite spoons, a few Johnson weedless spoons, a few speck rigs and a few tout tails and heads. That was it. Oh, and a home made stringer made of green coated cable, a stainless steel hooked point and a net float.

Simpler times.

Comment

So this just happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          So this just happen.

Noice

Comment

Found this old magazine at the car wash near 99/1093, some of you youngsters probably never even heard of this magazine. 4Q1983 issue.

And even better is an add for my old place of work, this issue was out about 4 years before I worked here.

Good memories.

Any chance you would let that magazine go for some $$?

Comment

Finally got a pack of the birthday suit trout supports, tackle shop I went to didn’t have the new red and white color in yet. Hopefully will get to test them this evening, if not tomorrow it’s on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                So this just happen.

Lools like you got some new wading boots too!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  Lools like you got some new wading boots too!

Those are for my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post

Finally got a pack of the birthday suit trout supports, tackle shop I went to didn’t have the new red and white color in yet. Hopefully will get to test them this evening, if not tomorrow it’s on!!!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                      Any chance you would let that magazine go for some $$?
                      It’s still in the waiting room at the car wash.

Comment

Those Harold Wells were packed with real fishing information! I too read 'em cover to cover, New which tackle shops had the best prices on which lures... I used to get mine at Heights Tackle House or Marburger's original place... When Academy would put the Johnson Sprites on sale for $.99, I'd go buy 'em by the hand fulls then hit the worm bar and buy the 50 packs of tout tails... I bet I still have a 5 gallon bucket full of plastic that came from those worm bars, and I'll likely never have to buy another gold or silver spoon again... still got a sack full of unopened spoons.

Comment

Wasn’t around for those old school magazines, how do they compare to the new Texas saltwater fisherman magazines? I bet they have way more info based on actual fishing time rather than what the newest favs are at the time.

Comment

I forgot the worm bar. Thought that was the coolest thing as a kid.

Think I’m packed for our destin trip. Should be covered for just about anything I can get into from the kayak. Im a gear nut so always take too much. Might pick up a crab trap over there if I go to the bay/harbor to fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                              Wasn’t around for those old school magazines, how do they compare to the new Texas saltwater fisherman magazines? I bet they have way more info based on actual fishing time rather than what the newest favs are at the time.

There wasn’t any millennial BS in the magazine back then

Comment

It’s still in the waiting room at the car wash.
                                In Richmond?

Comment

Working...
                                X