No announcement yet.

2019 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you guys are killing me with the Chandeleur Island talk. I went about 15 years ago and you guys are making me want to go back. I'm going to Montegut La. in July for a weekend and can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
      So here's what it looks like...when your offshore around 100 miles and a brutal late Spring cold front slams you. We hove too for about an hour an a half or so. It was so bad, winds 50 - 60mph, we heeled over to Port hard to points, the starboard main diesel was overheating due to the seawater intake - cooling pickup - was sucking air and no water to circulate through the block. Timmy pointed her head into the seas till this nasty blow passed.

This image was the worst part of this storm. Note the green sky and green water. Visibility is zero, winds are screaming, hail as big as golf balls is raining down and every window gasket in the boat, is streaming water into the cabin and bridge areas on all up wind facing windows.

Seas went up to 20ft, winds blowing the tops off the swells with tropical rainfall mixed with blowing saltwater - making it a hellish scene during that hour.

We all stayed calm, alarms going on and off, and simply let the storm pass. No one got hurt and no one got sick.

Turn your speaker up - video'd this scene with my Iphone 7

STORM VIDEO

When your well offshore, weather can and will become a factor. No place to hide. Clutch in one bell and hold her head to the sea....WITH A BONE IN HER TEETH!
      I think you copied that footage from the movie A Perfect Storm.[emoji23]

That's crazy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

So here's what it looks like...when your offshore around 100 miles and a brutal late Spring cold front slams you. We hove too for about an hour an a half or so. It was so bad, winds 50 - 60mph, we heeled over to Port hard to points, the starboard main diesel was overheating due to the seawater intake - cooling pickup - was sucking air and no water to circulate through the block. Timmy pointed her head into the seas till this nasty blow passed.

This image was the worst part of this storm. Note the green sky and green water. Visibility is zero, winds are screaming, hail as big as golf balls is raining down and every window gasket in the boat, is streaming water into the cabin and bridge areas on all up wind facing windows.

Seas went up to 20ft, winds blowing the tops off the swells with tropical rainfall mixed with blowing saltwater - making it a hellish scene during that hour.

We all stayed calm, alarms going on and off, and simply let the storm pass. No one got hurt and no one got sick.

Turn your speaker up - video'd this scene with my Iphone 7

STORM VIDEO

When your well offshore, weather can and will become a factor. No place to hide. Clutch in one bell and hold her head to the sea....WITH A BONE IN HER TEETH!
        Yessir, that's an angry looking sea! She don't look none too happy y'all are out there taking her bounty... Sure gotta respect her for what she is out there! Like you said, no where to hide when she get that angry... mean color to her right there! When you take that color over the bow of a 1000' C10, it gets pretty dicey!!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
          Looks rough, but I would like to think I could deal for the rest of the trip. Always enjoy the pixels, thanks for sharing. I will chase tuna sooner rather than later.
          Absolutely and you will soon enough - Thanks!

Comment

STORM VIDEO

Holy **** dude, that's absolutely insane and the lightning cracks made me pucker in my chair. It's almost as bad as West Matagorda on a NW wind.

Comment

Man, I watched @the wall video again. Didnt see the footage of the crew first time. I'll admit....I'd be wearing 3 life jackets and a rescue boat for a belt!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Man, I watched @the wall video again. Didnt see the footage of the crew first time. I'll admit....I'd be wearing 3 life jackets and a rescue boat for a belt!!

Yessir.

Comment

Also was digging through a box of lures and came across these fine specimens.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post

So you need my address or what?

Comment

One of my favorite colors.

Comment

I’ve caught a bunch of big trout on that plum/truese super model. That painted eye just gives it a little flare. Lol

Comment

Yessir Phillip, one of my favorites too!!

Comment

Man, those are my favorite ones! I need to get some more ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last Thursday/Friday offshore way down south - off Mexico/Texas line.

Caught about a dozen yellowfin tuna and next to near 100 blackfin tuna.

Couple of Mahi

2 Dusky sharks 8 - 10ft

2 Hammerhead sharks 10 - 12ft

1 Young Mako shark - 6ft

All of the sharks were released

Running my DIRTY 30 at speed - dragging a Cowbell - hunting wahoo on the steam southbound

Onscene - trolled and picked up yellowfin up to nightfall.

My Mako. Gaffed just under the dorsal and released to grow and eat into real fighting size

Managed to pick this yellowfin up casting topwaters around an hour after sundown. The only YFT to nail a topwater this entire trip.

The best offshore casting rod I've built to date! Handles lure weights 1 ounce up to 10 ounces with ease. Running 65lb braid with a 65lb flourocarbon wind-on leader. Lure for this fish was a 3 ounce Frenzy Flying fish with an Owner 5/0 Treble hook. Rod blank is an United Composites GUSA 70 series "PREDATOR" rated for 50 - 80 lb class fishing. I'm running 65lb with an AVET LX Raptor - Drag STRIKE 28LB & FULL 38LB.

This Yellowfin smashed the Halco so hard, it weaseled up into it's port eye socket. We pulled the lure and the eye snapped back into place, like nothing happened. These fish flat out SLAM lures!

That Yellowfin with the lure is nuts! I’ve never been offshore, you sure make it seem like I need to change that. Cool stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesdad07 View Post
                                That Yellowfin with the lure is nuts! I’ve never been offshore, you sure make it seem like I need to change that. Cool stuff

Aww man. You need to get out there. If I had a choice I wouldn’t fish inshore again.

Comment

Working...
                                X