Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Originally posted by Man View Post
    Fished Carancahua bay yesterday in Port Lavaca. Water was like chocolate milk mixed with mud mixed with Yoohoo. I think I caught a channel cat??? Can anyone confirm what this is? It ate good whatever it was.

Looks like a blue to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      FIFY. the VI boys really push those. I did better on DSL and TSL’s.
      Maybe the changed the name but I didnt even look. I just knew the color.

And that sure does look like a blue cat. I'm not surprised though. My son caught a channel in bastrop bayou on dead shrimp one year. No more than a mile from icw

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I know it’s a long shot,

But I fished the Sanctuary last Wednesday night. Sometime during the night my box flew out the boat. If y’all know of anyone that might have picked one up I’d really appreciate it. I can describe what was in the box.
        One of the Plano boxes full of holes.

Thought I had just left it in my buddies boat, but when I asked him about it it was no where to be found.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

And that sure does look like a blue cat. I'm not surprised though. My son caught a channel in bastrop bayou on dead shrimp one year. No more than a mile from icw

Bruh you don't know Bastrop . Grew up on that Bayou, skiing and chasing those fish with a dot on their tail.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
            Looks like a blue to me

Did it look like this?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
              Did it look like this?

Lol... I worked with a guy who took some home to his wife. He said he couldn’t tell a difference from any other catfish and said he was gonna keep them from then on

Comment

Lol... I worked with a guy who took some home to his wife. He said he couldn’t tell a difference from any other catfish and said he was gonna keep them from then on

Oops I quoted the wrong guy. Lol yea that dude chowed down on some TR! Some heardhead!

Comment

Oops I quoted the wrong guy. Lol yea that dude chowed down on some TR! Some heardhead!

Lol. Dude also took ladyfish, mullet, and every other fish he caught home. His wife was Asian so she would eat everything. Did say the ladyfish and mullet was nasty, said that was all hers

Comment

Did it look like this?
                    Avid saltwater fisherman here....nice try

Comment

Looks like a blue to me

Blues i catch have a more square tail than shown in that pic. ??

Comment

Re supply trip....

With piggy perch time right now them DSL don't stand a chance, them perch bite them tails off quick and believe me you gonna through packs quick....I tend to use a plastic with a thicker tail ....just some info that I've learned from the past....

Comment

VORTEX shad and Matrix Shad, two different baits... Straight up Matrix Shad is a smaller lure with a smaller tail... Matrix Vortex Shad is a more aggressive action lure, but that multi glitter color is very similar in both...

The Matrix Shad "shrimp creole" color is a perfect match for clear water. The bait is clear sprinkled with glitter and a nice reflective coat. Of course the Matrix Shad "shrimp creole" features the classic paddle tail combined with an extremely tough bait to make the perfect mixture of durability and action. When the shrimp are in this is the go to bait.

The new and improved swim bait from the makers of the matrix shad. The New Vortex Shad is a 3.75″ swim bait designed with a new dorsal fin showing anglers exactly where hook place meant should be also with a notch in the tail giving extra swimming motion. Also the tail is shaped in a V and is nick named the V-Tail. All tails are segmented to give strong contrast of colors between the body and tail trigger more reaction strikes from those trophy fish.

Comment

Last Thursday/Friday offshore way down south - off Mexico/Texas line.

Caught about a dozen yellowfin tuna and next to near 100 blackfin tuna.

Couple of Mahi

2 Dusky sharks 8 - 10ft

2 Hammerhead sharks 10 - 12ft

1 Young Mako shark - 6ft

All of the sharks were released

Running my DIRTY 30 at speed - dragging a Cowbell - hunting wahoo on the steam southbound

Onscene - trolled and picked up yellowfin up to nightfall.

My Mako. Gaffed just under the dorsal and released to grow and eat into real fighting size

Managed to pick this yellowfin up casting topwaters around an hour after sundown. The only YFT to nail a topwater this entire trip.

The best offshore casting rod I've built to date! Handles lure weights 1 ounce up to 10 ounces with ease. Running 65lb braid with a 65lb flourocarbon wind-on leader. Lure for this fish was a 3 ounce Frenzy Flying fish with an Owner 5/0 Treble hook. Rod blank is an United Composites GUSA 70 series "PREDATOR" rated for 50 - 80 lb class fishing. I'm running 65lb with an AVET LX Raptor - Drag STRIKE 28LB & FULL 38LB.

This Yellowfin smashed the Halco so hard, it weaseled up into it's port eye socket. We pulled the lure and the eye snapped back into place, like nothing happened. These fish flat out SLAM lures!

Comment

So here's what it looks like...when your offshore around 100 miles and a brutal late Spring cold front slams you. We hove too for about an hour an a half or so. It was so bad, winds 50 - 60mph, we heeled over to Port hard to points, the starboard main diesel was overheating due to the seawater intake - cooling pickup - was sucking air and no water to circulate through the block. Timmy pointed her head into the seas till this nasty blow passed.

This image was the worst part of this storm. Note the green sky and green water. Visibility is zero, winds are screaming, hail as big as golf balls is raining down and every window gasket in the boat, is streaming water into the cabin and bridge areas on all up wind facing windows.

Seas went up to 20ft, winds blowing the tops off the swells with tropical rainfall mixed with blowing saltwater - making it a hellish scene during that hour.

We all stayed calm, alarms going on and off, and simply let the storm pass. No one got hurt and no one got sick.

Turn your speaker up - video'd this scene with my Iphone 7

STORM VIDEO

When your well offshore, weather can and will become a factor. No place to hide. Clutch in one bell and hold her head to the sea....WITH A BONE IN HER TEETH!
                              Last edited by AtTheWall; 05-14-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                                So here's what it looks like...when your offshore around 100 miles and a brutal late Spring cold front slams you.
                                Looks rough, but I would like to think I could deal for the rest of the trip. Always enjoy the pixels, thanks for sharing. I will chase tuna sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                                X