Kicking the habit - any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Saturday was 8 weeks for me.
    I have terrible allergies. No issues in 8 weeks.
    No weight gain and cardio at the gym is insanely easier.

I can't stand the smell of them now. I don't think I ever noticed it before but when someone is driving & smoking in front of me I roll the windows up.

I had tried everything. I had every excuse in the book. I made it a year and a half smoke free but dove back in. It was always some weak excuse.

December 27, 2018 I spent the day at MD Anderson while my gal was having some minor surgery. Benign stuff removed. I spent the day there. Seeing very little children being wheeled around yellow from the chemo barely being able to hold on to their parents fingers is very hard to un-see. They got dealt a bad hand and are fighting for their lives.

Then sitting in the waiting room listening to 3-4 people with holes in their necks talking to each other is a sight I can't un-see. They were all smokers. They did this to themselves.

I have kids. What am I doing to myself? I am an idiot.

Left the hospital and right there was my old friends. I stared at them the whole way home wanting one. Got home and still stared at them. I wanted one bad. Grabbed the pack and watered them down in the sink.

The cravings went away. Every time I wanted one those images came back up in my head. Plus the happiness on my kids faces when they see me not smoking.

Being scared straight worked for me.

Comment

What are you doing driving around with a pack of smokes when you are trying to quit!!??

Something you said reminded me of something I did to help change my viewof smoking. I downloaded pictures of blackened lungs and effects of smoking and would look at them daily. This was one of the ways I retrained my brain to see them for what they really are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X