Killin Tree Live Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heartbeat View Post
    Barring a miracle, this will be the LAST hunt from our family ranch. I'm sitting in the brush blind at lamesa pond again. Sunny, 64, slight breeze in my face from slightly left.

Good luck Martin and crew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by heartbeat View Post
      Barring a miracle, this will be the LAST hunt from our family ranch. I'm sitting in the brush blind at lamesa pond again. Sunny, 64, slight breeze in my face from slightly left.
      My heart breaks for yall. Hope you cap it off with a big buck.

Comment

The sun set in amazing fashion yesterday. While the three of us were blanked, short of javelina, we had a great weekend together in the brush. I scuttled my stuff and sneaked out ahead of Michael and Martin as I figured they might want to say goodbye to the property without me hanging around. I can't imagine their emotions as they drove home yesterday. I had several great trips to the ranch over the last 20 years, but none like this weekend. I wished the clock would quit spinning yesterday.

I recapped my hunt a bit here: Heartbreak, and Redemption, in the Brush

Comment

I didn't get the best part of the sunset as I was in a blind facing east. But, my walk back to the stand was impressive. God smiled on the place as we departed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-20 18.46.36_800-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	24567886

Comment

It was a tough season down south, even without the impeding sale. That makes it all the tougher. That said, I'm glad Casey was able to join us and see a true trophy for the ranch! Although he doesn't have the actual antlers to show for it, I'm glad he was able to get footage of the buck to preserve the memory, and then cap it off with an old warhorse on the last morning.

The property has been in our family for generations (just shy of 100 years!), and the biggest portion of it will remain with our extended family for now. Unfortunately, when my dad got sick and diagnosed with cancer, he didn't have a will. Although they scrambled to put together a generic will after he was diagnosed., leaving everything to his wife (my step mom), he didn't take the time to properly specify the desires he's always stated for his part of the ranch (and other assets). She has decided that she needs the money more than the property and it didn't take long to find a potential suitor.

I'm blessed and thankful to have had the opportunity to hunt there for the last 38 years. Dad was pretty protective of the ranch and never allowed us to take friends to share the experience. He also never bought into "modern" management so, although there were a few good deer killed, it never reached its full potential. It brought me joy to have Casey join us and get to experience just a taste of what the property had to offer and an opportunity to shoot a monster before successfully arrowing a Booth/Middleton Ranch buck! If I have any disappointment, it's that my kids won't be able to enjoy the ranch with their future kids the way I did with them. Although unlikely, I'm still hoping the pending deal falls through (with all due respect to the bidder).

Thanks for allowing me to share my hunts there with this community over the last 20 years.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

I have enjoyed reading this thread and enjoyed meeting you guys.

One of these days I’ll tell you my story on a special piece of land that is no longer available to me. Trust me, I get it.

Take Care,
              Brit

Comment

Thanks for taking us along for all of your hunts.

Comment

Always hate to read about these goodbyes, especially on long time family land where so many memories were made. Y'all def finished it off in good fashion.

Comment

My heart aches for you Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      It was a tough season down south, even without the impeding sale. That makes it all the tougher. That said, I'm glad Casey was able to join us and see a true trophy for the ranch! Although he doesn't have the actual antlers to show for it, I'm glad he was able to get footage of the buck to preserve the memory, and then cap it off with an old warhorse on the last morning.

The property has been in our family for generations (just shy of 100 years!), and the biggest portion of it will remain with our extended family for now. Unfortunately, when my dad got sick and diagnosed with cancer, he didn't have a will. Although they scrambled to put together a generic will after he was diagnosed., leaving everything to his wife (my step mom), he didn't take the time to properly specify the desires he's always stated for his part of the ranch (and other assets). She has decided that she needs the money more than the property and it didn't take long to find a potential suitor.

I'm blessed and thankful to have had the opportunity to hunt there for the last 38 years. Dad was pretty protective of the ranch and never allowed us to take friends to share the experience. He also never bought into "modern" management so, although there were a few good deer killed, it never reached its full potential. It brought me joy to have Casey join us and get to experience just a taste of what the property had to offer and an opportunity to shoot a monster before successfully arrowing a Booth/Middleton Ranch buck! If I have any disappointment, it's that my kids won't be able to enjoy the ranch with their future kids the way I did with them. Although unlikely, I'm still hoping the pending deal falls through (with all due respect to the bidder).

Thanks for allowing me to share my hunts there with this community over the last 20 years.
                      We don't know each other, but I can't express how sad I am for you and your family. Wills and step parents can go south quickly and the amount of $ doesn't have to be very much.

Comment

Working...
                      X