Youth hunting morality question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PEC View Post
    The whole "kill it grill it" is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. When I was a kid we tried all kinds of birds just to try it. I love eating squirrels and rabbits. But lets think about it, what if the kid just doesn't like the meat, do you want him to not hunt? The push today is "trophy deer" what the heck does that have to do with food. As Smart said "Let him shoot"!!!! I read on here all the time about shooting Boars and letting them lay, now it's "only shoot what you eat" what a crock of B.S.!!! In a lot of this state if you let a deer lay over night one of two things will most likely happen...1. Meat will spoil or 2. Coyotes will eat it. I understand a few hours because it needs time, but honestly deer are real darn easy to find in the dark. I have never seen a deer dye with its eyes closed, white bellies and dead eyes light up at night. Ok my rant is over about that... you teach your children morals and ethics in a thousand different ways. Don't turn them off hunting, don't holdback their ability to create excellent stalking skill,and don't rain on his thrill of success parade. Humanitarian and hunting morals, come with time, that time will never have its opportunity of you don't let him be a predator now!
    I wanted to say it but I get flamed enough around here

Comment

Somebody say squirrel and dumplins?

Comment

Both of my parents ate a lot of squirrel growing up out of necessity so they had no interest in eating them once they didn't have to. That being said I squirrel hunted at least a few days every week after school, I just had someone lined up to take them.

Plenty of birds died at the end of my daisy as well, never ate those.

Comment

Yep. We eat what we shoot. Accept felines and canines. My son has eaten more than his fair share of grackles. He said it tastes just like a dove. I’ll take his word.

Comment

Teach him gun safety and turn him loose. He’ll be honing his skills and learning lessons, he’ll figure out what to shoot and not to shoot.

Comment

You're sure taking the fun out of having a bb gun. Some of the best times when I was a kid was sneaking off in the brush with the bb gun and shooting squirrels and other critters.

Come to think of it I still kill a lot of stuff I don't plan on eating. Hogs, coyotes, possum, snakes, etc. There sure are a lot of raccoons being eaten these days based off the running total thread.
              Last edited by JeffK; 12-20-2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

.17hmr and a tank full of turtles is one of the best ways to waste an afternoon.

chi chi birds and a bb gun was my boyhood equivalent

Comment

Throw a couple of those self healing targets on the ground in the back yard or hang them from a tree. They will move and still not killing stuff that don't need to be kilt.

Comment

I hear squirrel marinated for 6 days is real good! [emoji12]

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                    X