No announcement yet.

Baby deer, desert deer and stink pigs!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks like real familiar country to me. Congrats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! My wife is going through the nurse prac program right now. Takes lots of time!

Comment

Awesome! Nice job on the recap! Looking forward to the podcast! Congrats JT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Congrats man!! Too cool!! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Baby deer, desert deer and stink pigs!!

Great write up and congrats on a great buck. Just got back. Saw a ton of does but only one buck . I realize the rut maybe winding down but was really surprised with that many does spotted there weren’t more bucks. Oh well it was a great time. We will definitely go back. Glad you scored brother !!! Oh and that Morenci mine was insane

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
              Great write up and congrats on a great buck. Just got back. Saw a ton of does but only one buck . I realize the rut maybe winding down but was really surprised with that many does spotted there weren’t more bucks. Oh well it was a great time. We will definitely go back. Glad you scored brother !!! Oh and that Morenci mine was insane

Haha ya that mine is wild. What’s even crazier is I never really saw any people working other than the trucks going up and down the road.

We caught the last two days of the mule deer rut. The day I shot my buck was the last day anyone saw bucks with does. And we found a bunch of coues deer does with no bucks so I’m guessing that rut hadn’t started yet.

Comment

Awesome recap. Well done. I'm probably way late to the show here, but what's your podcast name?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                  Awesome recap. Well done. I'm probably way late to the show here, but what's your podcast name?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hook and Arrow

Comment

Great buck! Great write up! Great shooting! Congrats!
                    Last edited by rjtkdplus; 01-19-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Thats a great story.
                      Congrats on the buck!

Comment

Great read and a super nice buck.
                        Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on the great buck JT.

I’ll add my write up here to help those researching in the future.

I drove straight through Wednesday night with the plan of packing in to my spot from last year Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately when I arrived the snow was 3-4’ deep. By the time I made it to lower country it was dark so I headed to town for a shower and a good night’s rest.

As a side note for anyone considering this hunt. While you can buy your annual hunting license online you must purchase your deer permit from a retailer. The units that are available in January are big and remote so you have to plan accordingly as the few license retailers generally have limited hours. The bait shop in Alpine is only open 8:30-5:30.

I got on 5 coues bucks chasing a hot doe Friday mid-afternoon. I had all within 35yds, but never had a clear shot at the biggest (110”).

Saturday I only found one muley buck.

Sunday I glassed up to muley bucks who eventually bedded with 9 does. I crawled in as close as the wind a terrain would allow at 3pm and laid there until dark waiting for them to get up to feed, but they never moved.

Monday morning I found the group about 2 miles from where I had left them. The had crossed a deep canyon and joined some other deer. The herd totaled 24 with 4 bucks. I spent 6hrs crawling as close as I could in the open terrain. I managed to get within 60yds of does several times, but wasn’t ever able to get closer than 87yds from any bucks.

Monday afternoon I worked the edges of several canyons. I got within 30yds of multiple coues does, but only turned up a forky and a spike. All in I found 18-20 coues Monday afternoon.

The wind picked up Monday evening and it looked like weather was coming so I relocated to a trailhead on the pavement as I had to leave by 10am-noon Tuesday. When I woke up at 4am to start hiking in the wind was still ripping so I headed home.

I was late for the main rut this year and the full moon was brutal. I knew it would be tough going in, but I was only able to squeeze in these few days at this time due to scheduling conflicts. I am happy with the additional knowledge and stalking practice it provided and will take any time I can get in the field.

For anyone considering this hunt in the future. You need to know that it is getting more popular as multiple podcasts and hunting shows promote it. The additional hunters are making it congested like Colorado otc elk hunting. With that said, if you are in good shape you can get away from the crowd. If you can cover country you will eventually find deer. If they are rutting you will likely find bucks. While I have seen a couple of big bucks, I think this unit is better suited for someone who will be happy with any legal buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
                            Congrats on the great buck JT.

I’ll add my write up here to help those researching in the future.

I drove straight through Wednesday night with the plan of packing in to my spot from last year Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately when I arrived the snow was 3-4’ deep. By the time I made it to lower country it was dark so I headed to town for a shower and a good night’s rest.

As a side note for anyone considering this hunt. While you can buy your annual hunting license online you must purchase your deer permit from a retailer. The units that are available in January are big and remote so you have to plan accordingly as the few license retailers generally have limited hours. The bait shop in Alpine is only open 8:30-5:30.

I got on 5 coues bucks chasing a hot doe Friday mid-afternoon. I had all within 35yds, but never had a clear shot at the biggest (110”).

Saturday I only found one muley buck.

Sunday I glassed up to muley bucks who eventually bedded with 9 does. I crawled in as close as the wind a terrain would allow at 3pm and laid there until dark waiting for them to get up to feed, but they never moved.

Monday morning I found the group about 2 miles from where I had left them. The had crossed a deep canyon and joined some other deer. The herd totaled 24 with 4 bucks. I spent 6hrs crawling as close as I could in the open terrain. I managed to get within 60yds of does several times, but wasn’t ever able to get closer than 87yds from any bucks.

Monday afternoon I worked the edges of several canyons. I got within 30yds of multiple coues does, but only turned up a forky and a spike. All in I found 18-20 coues Monday afternoon.

The wind picked up Monday evening and it looked like weather was coming so I relocated to a trailhead on the pavement as I had to leave by 10am-noon Tuesday. When I woke up at 4am to start hiking in the wind was still ripping so I headed home.

I was late for the main rut this year and the full moon was brutal. I knew it would be tough going in, but I was only able to squeeze in these few days at this time due to scheduling conflicts. I am happy with the additional knowledge and stalking practice it provided and will take any time I can get in the field.

For anyone considering this hunt in the future. You need to know that it is getting more popular as multiple podcasts and hunting shows promote it. The additional hunters are making it congested like Colorado otc elk hunting. With that said, if you are in good shape you can get away from the crowd. If you can cover country you will eventually find deer. If they are rutting you will likely find bucks. While I have seen a couple of big bucks, I think this unit is better suited for someone who will be happy with any legal buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree. I will be headed to a different unit next Jan. But I also want to go chase coues next year. I think that unit is good for getting away from people due to how nasty the country is. That area around pipestem trail is some of the nastiest country I’ve been in.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              I agree. I will be headed to a different unit next Jan. But I also want to go chase coues next year. I think that unit is good for getting away from people due to how nasty the country is. That area around pipestem trail is some of the nastiest country I’ve been in.

JT,

Would you mind posting your gear list for the January Arizona hunt? I'll be doing the same hunt and plan on hunting from the truck for comfort but prepared to pack in to go after a deer if i need to. My main concern right now is warmth with my current gear setup. I'm curious how much you relied on your puffy pants, insulated boots, and sleeping bag/pad setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
                                JT,

Would you mind posting your gear list for the January Arizona hunt? I'll be doing the same hunt and plan on hunting from the truck for comfort but prepared to pack in to go after a deer if i need to. My main concern right now is warmth with my current gear setup. I'm curious how much you relied on your puffy pants, insulated boots, and sleeping bag/pad setup.

I will look and see if I still have it saved on my computer.

Comment

Working...
                                X